Where to get storm bolters?

Time of madness

I'm trying to think of anywhere. Besides left overs from all the terminator kits (assuming you built various HW options).

Deathwing players probably have lots. Every deathwing terminator box comes with 5 storm bolters but if they build all the close combat options like the actual deathwing knights, the they should have piles of the left over.

And speaking of dark angels. Somebody else would need to chime in but I wonder if the 5 man dark angel veteran kit comes with any storm bolters.

And of course the 2 into the Sternguard kit... Possibly in one of the old captain kits that comes with a bunch of options?

One of the recent terminator librarian kits comes with a storm bolter hand that is often swapped for the cool "casting a spell" hands it comes with...

And speaking of dark angels. Somebody else would need to chime in but I wonder if the 5 man dark angel veteran kit comes with any storm bolters.

I haven't gotten the kit myself yet, but the pictures on the GW site shows one with a Storm Bolter, so I'm assuming it comes with at least one?

99120101047_VeteransSquadNEW_01.jpg

At this point, Grey knights or converting from terminators may be your best bet for a bunch of them, otherwise you just have to camp out on ebay.  This bitz sellers do restock them from time to time, but unfortunately, the time to get them was 8 months ago.

There are a lot of third party sources for high quality storm bolters.  i cant remember where i got mine, but ive seen the xenos hunters blitz pistols pop goes the monkey on shapeways has, and they look amazing.

DA veteran kit DOESN`T have normal SM sized stormbolters in it, only only and that´s for SM terminator SGT. That pic is old as kit itself and that stormbolter has been taken from SM commander kit.

GW really should start putting sprue pics, FROM BOTH SIDES on the product site.

I managed to successfully pick up 2 lots of DA termie stormbolters very cheap on the auction site, a couple of singular ones too and also some odd bundles containing individual storm bolters and those from Space Wolf terminators with the full arms attached.

With the plethora of SW termie Stormbolters I now have, it's been easy to select a few and strip their arms away and clean up the hand that remains and remove the icons.  Giving me a few more to play around with, it's just a case of making sure I have enough magnets now!

I've ended up with more than sufficient but it took me a few weeks on the auction site to spot and purchase them - patience if you have it is great.  Now I wish I had picked up more Storm Shields before they became the in-thing as now they're either too expensive, gone within seconds, or simply too hard to catch.

I've ended up with more than sufficient but it took me a few weeks on the auction site to spot and purchase them - patience if you have it is great. Now I wish I had picked up more Storm Shields before they became the in-thing as now they're either too expensive, gone within seconds, or simply too hard to catch.

How neat would it be if the actual numerous items in the DW kit like boltguns and power swords finally end up being the in-thing ;)

I've ended up with more than sufficient but it took me a few weeks on the auction site to spot and purchase them - patience if you have it is great. Now I wish I had picked up more Storm Shields before they became the in-thing as now they're either too expensive, gone within seconds, or simply too hard to catch.

How neat would it be if the actual numerous items in the DW kit like boltguns and power swords finally end up being the in-thing :wink:

My bits box(es) are over flowing as it is lol.  I actually bought a few extra of the bolters and sword arms so that I could chop them off at the wrists for all the storm bolters I picked up, I really like the DW specific arms and didn't want to start using sternguard arms etc.  I guess that's why I made sure I bought a fair number of magnets - but then I realised if I magnetised the arms I'd need more left arm Deathwatch shoulder pads.... you can see where this is going right? ;)

To be fair, I've been lucky in so much as that a few odd geared marines I did back in 3rd ed have come back around in newer additions as being very useful, so who knows, it's probably why I keep all my spares.

1) The best choice - Deathwing knights/Terminators 

Dark angels players usually make knights from this kit so they do not need SB anyway. 

2) Plastic SM Captain kit - ok but there's only one SB and it is quote rare.

2) Sternguard - ok. SM players usually don't need them anyway

3) Grey Hunters - the have 2 left hand SB in the kit. perfect if you want to make some Deathwatch Space Wolves

4)  Various termies(including starter ones from old editions) - meh, because of  a lot of work with the knife. 

But they are easiest to obtain.

As for myself , I use mostly 1 and 4. 

Hope that helps

Why not get two bolters, shave down connecting sides and glue them together?

To be fair, that's basically what a combi-bolter is, so there's precedence for doing exactly this.  Gameplay-wise, SB/CB are identical across codexes, too.  I think this is a solid cost-effective solution :)

Why not get two bolters, shave down connecting sides and glue them together?

It is simply not worth it imho. 

Too much work with knife and file, while you still will have to get all these bolters

It is easier to get SB and glue it to the hand of SM. :)

Archived