Top 5 personal favorite models

Vorenus

Greetings from the Eye:

I was thinking about which models are my favorite from an aesthetic perspective.  This is not about tabletop rules, this is about which models I like the most.  I came up with my personal top 5, but these are not necessarily ranked in order.  I thought I would share my top 5 and then see if other people were willing to share their own personal top 5.  Feel free to share your reasons for liking those particular models, but that's not required.

Strangely, all five of my personal favorite models are from Forge World, and three are super heavies.

Here's my list:

1.  Hellforged Fellblade Super-Heavy Tank

2.  Hellforged Spartan Assault Tank

3.  Chaos Fire Raptor

4.  Chaos Warhound Titan

5.  Greater Brass Scorpion of Khorne

I wasn't really expecting three of my top 5 to be super heavies.

I love the look of the Chaos Warhound.  I prefer the look of that particular Titan to the Reaver, but the Reaver is also good.  I haven't seen any good conversions of the Warlord Titan for Chaos, so although I really like the Warlord model, it doesn't make the top 5 as it's not a Chaos model.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what other people have to say.  What are your favorite models?  What calls to you or speaks to you about a particular model?

--Vorenus

I like the new "look" csms have with the Blackstone CSMs, blend of DV chosen and vanilla.

I love raptors and warptalons.

Khârn the betrayer is really cool looking (though I still don't care for his unarmored arm)

DV Chosen with the maul (plastic Dark Apostle)

Cypher is glorious.

DV Chosen with power fist.

DV Lord.

Harken Worldclaimer. I'm not a Black Legion player, but damn does he have an awesome pose.

The original Raptor sculpts.

My Heldrake. I converted it slightly with bits from the High Elf Dragon kit, makes it look so much more awesome, IMHO.

Nice idea for a topic, my top five (in no particular order) are:

FW Berserker upgrade kits, really brutal and got some great details.

Chaos Warhound Titan.

FW renegade command squad (know it's five right here, but they work so well both as individuals and as a group).

Tzeentch Herald from the Burning Chariot, the writhing tentacle hair just really works.

Dark Vengeance powerfist Chosen, great weight and momentum in the pose, matched with a great aesthetic.

The 3rd Ed Plague Marine champion with power sword is what first leapt to my mind as 'favorite model.' He's the guy in the center.

The Defiler. Its design is wild and it was one of Chaos' first unique warmachines to make into the 40k range (rather than just being a spike-encrusted tank nicked from the loyalists or some crazy thing from Epic).

The Hellblade is delightful- simple, sleek, and brutal. I even really like the aesthetics of the pilot!

I owe too much to the chaos spawn kit to not include it here, it has tons of useful gribbly parts.

Finally, even if their rules are meh, I can't get over the new raptors/warp talons. One of the few kits I bought just to model. Haven't used 'em once, but they are interesting enough to look at that I don't regret a thing.

This is going to be cheating but my extremely radical Phaenonite Inquisitor is represented by Gideon Lorr, who gets my 'honorable mention.' :P

Exalted sorcerers kit

Raptors

Obsidius Mallex from Blackstone fortress

^^that Chaos Lord

All of the Dark Vengeance cultists, as much as they are monopose and non-continued as a range they are still such versatile starting points for all manner of things as proved by every edition of Blanchitsu yet published. They are also pretty easy to mix around.

I only collect Khorne stuff (mortal and daemon) so my list is a bit narrow. However...

Kytan

Red Butchers

Blood Slaughterers

Bloodthirster

Tied for 5th - DV chosen with axe and DV chosen with maul. I use them for an Exalted Champion and Dark Apostle respectively.

The whole new Death Guard range is fantastic; the mixing of suitably disgusting mutations with loads of heresy-era wargear was damn near perfectly executed. I'll never play 'em or buy 'em, but I always appreciate them. 

Makes me hopeful the rest of the Chaos range, as it gets update, sees similar care and attention to detail; my chief opponents ever since I started this hobby have been Chaos, and only Ork players can rival the love you guys show for your models, and Chaos deserves a range of models at the same quality of Death Guard. 

I've been in the hobby since 1990. It's hard to say if I have favorites. 

The Deodorant bottle Tank from Rogue Trader era will always have a special place in my heart.

I really love the Dark Vengeance models, both the Chaos and Dark Angels. 

The new plastic Death Guard are amazing. I'm glad I started this army. I just wish I could have gotten the Battleforce Box, but it will probably be gone before I can get one... We couldnt afford Christmas this year...

The Thousand Sons have been one of my favorite aesthetics  since forever, but never made an army as they were all metal... Now with the plastic kits... I am sorely tempted... 

I have to add both the multipart Helbrute, Forgefiend, and Helldrake kits. Love the looks of the new Chaos models, especially the new Raptor/Warp Talons. 

I really need to renew my Crimson Slaughter warband project... 

Defiler - especially the conversion into a scorpion! This model converted me to the chaos range.

Heldrake, but I have always been a sucker for dragons, so no surprise there. Now I run 2.

Possessed, specifically with wings.

Forgefiends. Okay, I admit it, I just like daemon engines of all stripes.

And for 5 I’ll join the rest of the pack and say warp talons. I bought them just to build and paint but they never see play, except as a chaos lord...

1) Sicaran battle tank (hope that counts), I just love the design of it, it doesn't look like a metal box with a turret the way the predators do and I can image one decorated with flayed skin, obscene artwork, 8 pointed stars or even the good oul spikes (I need to pick one up for my EC at some point)

2) Gal Vorbak because seriously look at that sculpt, don't have them myself but have planned on buying a unit to turn into chosen or something.

3) The Defiler, six legs are better than 2.

4) The old metal chaos terminator lord, thought it had better details than the plastic kit and I've a soft spot for metal miniatures.

5) FW's Keeper of Secrets, that thing is equal parts beautiful and terrifying (I'm mostly too scared to assemble mine given the small fragile details and don't think my painting skills are enough to do it justice, for now).

Lets see ... you didn't ask for just models from the chaos range but for sanitys sake and because it's the chaos marines subforum I'll limit my choices to just the chaos models. I'll also exclude FW models because I don't like to work with resin and how expensive FW is so they could never be in my top 5 even if I'd like them in plastic. Not sure if I want to include the Daemon range as well since all three new Greater Daemons are already, well, great and they'd have to compete with Daemon Primarchs etc.

I will include the TSons and DG range tho.

So the top 4 are easily filled with:

1. New old Noise Marine

2. Heldrake

3. Maulerfiend

4. Forgefiend

The last one is a lot harder to decide on but I'll give it a try.

It's a close fight between: Mortarion, Lord of Skulls (yes, really), Rubric Marines, Khârn, Haarken, Warpsmith, Aspiring Champion and the Dark Apostle. 

5. Oh well after thinking about it for like 10 minutes I think I'll go with the Lord of Skulls after all! :teehee:

My top five -

1. Juan Diaz Daemon Prince - my all time favourite mini. I love this guy, the whole aesthetic of the ultimate corrupted Astartes - it’s scale, leering daemon faces, the sword, armour melded with flesh, just the right amount of spikes and protruding bone. Love this guy!

2. Spartan Assault Tank - love the brutal look of this beast big daddy Land Raider - no nonsense delivery of a cc nasty. I own one but have never built it which is a bit mad - it’s a big, time consuming project for me and the tracks scare me I think. One day you will see a spikey Black Legion Spartan, loaded with new Berzerkers, I promise :D

3. DV Chosen with Powerfist - my favourite from that brilliant set. From the choice of weapons excellently posed, to the baroque style of armour that is exactly how I want my Black Legion to look - this guy’s exudes bamf. He looks a little like the old Devram Korda artwork does he not? ;)

4. Khârn - while I do really like the new version, the old one will always hold a special place in my heart due to my flirting with Worldeaters in my youth. Love the details and the pose, the scale doesn’t hold up but he is still awesome!! Looks like he should be atop of a large pile of dismembered bodies like the old Mark Gibbons artwork.

5. Chaos Terminator Lord - I love me some termies and this guy is the epitome of the trophy racked, hulking silhouetted Chaos versions. Love the hero (villain?) rock and his leg pose, and he is über customisable - so much can be done with him straight out of the box but he is a kitbashers dream and I have seen many, many awesome conversions based on him :tu:

Not listed in order, just the top 5 off the top of my head. There are too many though, I'm going to think of models immediately after clicking "post". I'm also going to ignore FW or 30k era models.

1. Daemon Prince sculpted by Juan Diaz. An absolute stunner that makes the plastic prince look like hot garbage

99810102023_CSMDaemonPrinceNEW01.jpg

2. Daemon Primarch Mortarion

99120102072_DaemonPrimarchMortarion01.jp

3. Metal CSM Sorcerer

gw-99060102112-0.jpg?itok=0QvHqIgu

4. Typhus (the old one, which really conveyed the tone of the character. definitely not the new one)

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/e/e0/Typhus.jpg/320px-Typhus.jpg

5. The 2018 special edition Noise Marine

01.jpg

1. Forgefiend/maylerfiend kit. Fantastic kit and such fun to magnetise.

2. Warp talons

3. Haarken worldclaimer

4. Obsidius mallex (black stone fortress chaos lord with thunder hammer)

5. The dark vengeance chaos kit in general looked so good.

1. The metal Daemon Prince (Just add wings!)

2. Plastic Chaos Lord. Always fun working on this miniature

3. Warp Talons

4. Possessed

5. Not really a miniature but my favourite sprue for Chaos was always the mutation sprue. Cool heads and arms(with the classic mouth arm that can double as a head) and it's missed.

Assuming this is Chaos-only! 

1) Rubric Marines, by a huge margin *both model and fluff!*

2) Magnus the Red, love it for same reasons as above and its wonderful options! 

3) Gal Vorbak from Forgeworld. Proper possessed, proper rules, horrific and awesome in equal measure. 

4) Haarken World Claimer, stellar model, decent rules, good fluff start (want to see more) 

5) Exalted Sorcerer kit... unparalleled customization and personality. The original badasses from Prospero, proper models and rules. 

Archived