[WiP] Slow Advance- Iron Hands plog

Stix

Hello everyone!
So I have been lurking here for sometime, rarely posting anything. I visit B&C mostly for HH fluff and to see some magnificent work of many of you! Finally I have decided to start my own plog. Its main goal is to force me into somewhat regular painting and to get some C&C from you guys!

For start I have some WiPs of my first space marine ever painted and some early conversions of my gorgon terminators:

IMG 20181217 024615

IMG 20181104 233529

IMG 20181104 233451

For the Iron Tenth!

(If anyone likes to follow people on instagram feel free to follow https://www.instagram.com/companyofthebitteriron ) Edited by Stix

-smashes in like the coolaid man- Oooooh yeah, Iron Tenth time!  

Seriously lookin' real good there, it ain't good for a 'first time' marine, it's just plain out good.  Eyes in particular make the whole thing really pop, and I can't wait to see the Gorgons all painted up.  Got an idea for a basing scheme there, dude?  And I'm hoping we'll see some fluff too, eh!  

Well done, looks rockin' dude. Definitely gonna be payin' attention. 

Thanks guys for those kind words! It is great to hear that you like it!

-smashes in like the coolaid man- Oooooh yeah, Iron Tenth time!

Seriously lookin' real good there, it ain't good for a 'first time' marine, it's just plain out good. Eyes in particular make the whole thing really pop, and I can't wait to see the Gorgons all painted up. Got an idea for a basing scheme there, dude? And I'm hoping we'll see some fluff too, eh!

Well done, looks rockin' dude. Definitely gonna be payin' attention.

To make things clear: It is not the first mini that i have been painting, but the first that i have finished (almost) :D

I really wanted to make eyes orange but they tend to blend visually with rest of the mini so I had to go for green. In regard to the bases I thought about classic "red planet" (did anyone make a research on "what is the most popular basing scheme"?) cause it gives nice opportunity to get more colours on IH models and a chance to play with powders. I have a loose idea about fluff of my force and I would love to develope that but I have to work on that harder (I see how much work I have to do every time I visity your insane plog. Love it!)

Thanks mate! Of course I can!

1. chaos black undercoat

2. light drybrush with Ironbreaker (some places heavier)

3. airbrushed agrax eartshade

4. some spots airbrushed with druchii violet (i don't know if it is necessary but I am afraid not to use it;) )

5. airbrushed nuln oil

some extra steps:

6. use pencil (soft one, like 6B) to do some edge highlighting and then use finger to smear it over some parts You want to stand out a bit more

7. If You want give it one more thin coat of agrax

Paint rivets with that lighter silver paint (sorry I don't remember the name)

I hope it helps! Share with us your results:)

Sorry for double posting but I need your advice guys! Do you think that sergeant with this head is gonna look good with the rest of the squad? I am not sure, it looks somehow alienated from the rest of the unit. I now he has A.Armour but I don't now if I should keep that look only for immortals (the most beautiful minis ever! ;) ). Maybe too much white? :ermm:

IMG 20190110 115944

Aye, like Pearson said, it really does mark him out and I generally like being able to determine sergeants at a glance too.  But honestly, bigger, shinier helms feel pretty cool as a sort of command element when used in conjunction with such a dark colour scheme. So I wouldn't say 'alienated' so much as 'elevated' because the whole effect is pretty cohesive. Can't wait to see 'em done up completely, mate!

Thanks for your kind words! I am pretty happy whith the direction in which it goes even though they still need some work (cabling ang cog ornaments). Current state:

IMG 20190112 035830

IMG 20190112 040627

IMG 20190112 040648

And size comparison with regular marine (Sorry for "sketchy" filter, but it is necessary to hide sloppy and quick photo with terrible lighting. And I like it :wink: )  :

IMG 20190112 041736

Thanx for watching :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my FW decals today and I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed. So many unnecessary things on it but only 4 Order markings of each number of each colour? I think they could easily get rid of the silver decals and use that to give us more white ones (IH armour is mostly black!) so we can make a uniform force with it. Or if they want to keep 3 colours give us 10 "1", 10 "2" 10 "3" and 10"4". That would work. What am I supposed to do with 4 (ok, 8 if we consider black) order markings? It is not enough for even one tactical squad:D

(Sorry for little rant, I had to!)

P.S. Still working on rhinos!

• 2 months later...

Those Kromlech helmets are ace; I would definitely pick some up for myself if all my footsloggers hadn't been assembled ages ago! They look straight out of Visions of Heresy. 

Also, do you happen to have a recipe for that black? Maybe it's just the lighting, but it has a warm, almost wrought iron tint to it that I've always thought would look good for IH. I'm a fan of the FW "oily look" as well, but there's something to be said for a more OG style black!

Hey! Yes, these helmets are cool and fit "tough" legions perfectly.

If you need recipe for the black on infantry model, it is few posts above :) Give it a go! So many times (especially after seeing work of some of the iron fathers at this forum) I was cursing myself for not choosing oily or flat black or slightly olive scheme so I am glad you like it :D

For vehicles I use a little bit modified version of that recipe (now I am experimenting with using it also to paint infantry). If you need it just let me know!:)

Edited by Stix

Hey! Yes, these helmets are cool and fit "tough" legions perfectly.

If you need recipe for the black on infantry model, it is few posts above :smile.: Give it a go! So many times (especially after seeing work of some of the iron fathers at this forum) I was cursing myself for not choosing oily or flat black or slightly olive scheme so I am glad you like it :biggrin.:

For vehicles I use a little bit modified version of that recipe (now I am experimenting with using it also to paint infantry). If you need it just let me know!:smile.:

Oops, I must have missed the recipe the first time I scrolled through, thanks! 

• 2 months later...