[WiP] Slow Advance- Iron Hands plog

Stix

• 1 month later...

That face, it's beautiful!

Thank you! I really tried to get it right :)

Cracking work on the Iron Father, perhaps a bit less flesh-spare than I'd go for, but a fantastic model all the same. The whole group looks great together too, you've really got a lovely black there.

Thanks! :)  Do you mean you would go for less or more bionics (I have hard time with double negation :D)

glorious

Thanks mate!

Saw this on your instagram. Gorgeous as always, where's the head from, and what was your recipe for that skin tone? Painted with finesse. 

Thanks! :) So the head is a conversion based on bare head from mkIV command set. Skin tone was: Rhinox hide => rhinoh hide+Tallarn Flesh => Tallar flesh => Tallarn Flesh+Rakarth flesh => rakarth Flesh => Rakarth Flesh+Dheneb Stone.

Cracking work on the Iron Father, perhaps a bit less flesh-spare than I'd go for, but a fantastic model all the same. The whole group looks great together too, you've really got a lovely black there.

Thanks! :smile.:  Do you mean you would go for less or more bionics (I have hard time with double negation :biggrin.:)

More bionics/a helmed head, obviously not all the members of the legion are going to be stacked with bionics, but for some reason I always feel odd giving my chaps bare, unaugmented heads. That being said, it's definitely a personal taste and sometimes there are heads that are just too characterful to not use.

Ok, thanks for clarification :) Pics don't show it properly but he actually have both his arms bionic and the head is almost like servo skull- his whole neck is repaced with cabeling etc.

My idea for him is that he is very pragmatic Iron Father, believing in "Flesh Is Weak" creed, whose 90% of the body is machine to perform better as a warrior but he is also idealist believing in building Impirium for Humanity so he left his face pretty intact (not counting some tubes coming out of cheeks :D) to show that he represent humanity and to better connect with basic humans. Another piece of fluff for him is that he is strict follower of Imperial Truth, very anti-religious, so much so he even has problem with more orthodox parts of Mechanicum, prefering to work with smaller forge worlds that would be considered heretical by Mars (which as you can imagine is a little bit problematic for the Legion command and makes him a black sheep of a legion). Because he gets work done, he is still tolerated and allowed to lead small force but is treated in "Iron Warriors" style- gets the dirtiest and most unforgiving job ergo use of Immortals and Destroyers (soon...) in the force. Army also used to fight in campaigns alongside Sons of Horus and Emperors Children (like Castignation of Terentius) which earned them XVIth legion's respect and right to bear the Seal of the Eye of Vigilance but after outbreake of Heresy, adding even more distrust towards them from other forces of the Xth. 

Actually if someone have some nice ideas for fluff or tweaks to this one please feel free to share:)

Ahh, I like the sound of the neck cabling, it's a detail I really like on the legion upgrade helms from FW, the additional data feeds and such. That's a great reason for him retaining a more intact, less alien face, especially for the Iron Tenth, it's an interesting perspective for him to be more aware of the reactions and impressions of mortals. Some other good bits in the background there, I'm looking forward to seeing some Destroyers on here, they're such a cracking unit.

• 2 months later...

Hey!

I had small break from posting here but to be honest, I did not pait that much for my Iron Xth. Small progres that I did make is the test model for my destroyers (I am thinking about changing head for something more "brutal":

DSC04738

And also WiP of mid/late heresy version of my Iron Father. War takes it's toll on his flesh and ideals, pushing him slowly into Blackshield area ;)

DSC04863

Cheers!

Aaaaaaah Stix...your work is like a chem shot into my armours interface! Lovely as always!

I agree though about the Destroyer heads, maybe try these?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Ultramarines-MkIV-Praetorian-Heads-Upgrade-Set

BCC

Those destroyers will look ace in your color scheme! If you're looking for something more brutal, I've found that helmets with a vox grill look the part. You've already used kromlech helmets on your tac squad, how about their Destroyer Helmets (it all comes together!) or even just FW's regular Mk5 helmets? Edited by AHorriblePerson

Nice start on the Destroyers, the Kromlech heads @AHorriblePerson suggests are a nice option, personally I'm going to be using Tartaros helmets, they match the MKIV aesthetic whilst being stubbier, more brutal and having a range of designs.

Aaaaaaah Stix...your work is like a chem shot into my armours interface! Lovely as always!

I agree though about the Destroyer heads, maybe try these?

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Ultramarines-MkIV-Praetorian-Heads-Upgrade-Set

BCC

Oh, thanks a lot! That is very kind. Interesting, I did not think about UM helmets before. Thanks!

Those destroyers will look ace in your color scheme! If you're looking for something more brutal, I've found that helmets with a vox grill look the part. You've already used kromlech helmets on your tac squad, how about their Destroyer Helmets (it all comes together!) or even just FW's regular Mk5 helmets?

Thanks! I wanted to do something different for them and I thought that as a very pragmatic legion, they would not waste the time on painting the armour that is quickly gonna corode and chipp off paint etc so they leave it bare metal and paint just some plates for designation purpose. Tbh I am not huge fan of those kromlech helmets but I do own some mkV helmets and it is one of the options. Thanks!

Nice start on the Destroyers, the Kromlech heads @AHorriblePerson suggests are a nice option, personally I'm going to be using Tartaros helmets, they match the MKIV aesthetic whilst being stubbier, more brutal and having a range of designs.

Thanks. Tartaros helmets may look nice.

My own idea was to change it to either mkV or this DA upgrade helmet (https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1189/6522/products/Head_E_24ab91cb-8de5-4a54-8efc-e7465ad6076f_1024x1024.JPG?v=1490112939 ). They look nice and thick and have extra plating on the face but also some cabling. What is important too is that they are quite small which makes rest of armour look more imposing and better proportioned in my opinion:) And I have couple of them around which is also useful :D

• 3 months later...

Mark IIb Land Raider Phobos "Ferrum Erinaceus", dedicated transport of Gorgon Terminator squad "Lamed", veterans of the Castigation of Terentius; Order Tertii, Clan Raukaan, Xth Legion- Iron Hands, date unknown.

gallery_101573_15121_179131.jpg
gallery_101573_15121_62532.jpg
gallery_101573_15121_559965.jpg
gallery_101573_15121_1220697.jpg

Rescued land raider with amazing track kit from Blood and Skulls industry. I had recently some spare time so I am painting almost every day. Almost finished my Destroyers and Orth so I will post them as soon as they are done :)

C&C welcome

Man, I'll admit Stix, Your iron hands are my visual touchstone for not only the iron 10th, but black power armour in general.  The Ferrum Erinaceus, and particularly that absolute genius work on Iron Father Korvaan is simply sensational.  Magnificent work my dude, just incredible.  

Oh, and beyond that, I didn't think that a loyalist legion/chapter could ever make those Blood and Skulls tracks work without going edgelord-ish.  You proved me wrong.  Awesome work on the wrap around too.  (I've considered some of the more 'basic' tracks from them, any tips for getting them in place on the cut-away?)