Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2 vs 2 tournament list

Blood angels adeptus custodes tournament 2vs2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Maloken

Maloken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

Hi !

I'm currently preparing for a 2vs2 tournament (2 x 1250 points) at my local shop, starting early february.

I'm playing with a Custodes friend with my Blood Angels. I'm currently trying to find the best list to complete his and can't manage to set my mind between 2 options. I'd like advices to chose (and maybe tweaking them a bit).

So first, my friend's custodes list :

Adeptus Custodes : 1250

Détachement : Outrider
HQ
    Shield-Captain on Dawneagle : 160 pts
        - Hurricane Bolter, Golden Aquila

Shield-Captain On Dawneagle : 160 pts
        - Hurricane Bolter, Eagle Eyes

ELITE
    Vexilus Praetor : 120 pts
        - Storm shield, Vexilla Magnifica

FAST ATTACK
    Vertus Praetors (3) : 270 pts
        - 3 Hurricane Bolter

- 3 Hurricane Bolter

- 3 Hurricane Bolter

Total : 1250 points - 12 Models - 6 Units

Pretty straightforward. Resilient, ranged saturation, heavy hitting close combat and highly mobile force with a Vexilus Praetors for the -1 to hit bonus in case we don't get to play fist.

So now the 2 lists I'm currently working on :

First option :

Détachement : Battalion 1

HQ
    Astorath : 105 pts

[Index] Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack : 86 pts

TROOPS
    Scout Squad (5) : 55 pts
        - 5 close combat weapons

- 5 close combat weapons

Tactical Squad (5) : 90 pts
        - Lascanon

Détachement : Battalion 2

HQ
    Captain with jump pack : 124 pts
        - Thunder Hammer, Storm shield, Black rage, Angels wings

[Warlord] Captain with jump pack : 124 pts
        - Thunder Hammer, Storm shield, Black rage, Baals hammer, [codex] Gift of foresight

TROOPS
    Scout Squad (5) : 83 pts
        - 4 sniper rifles, Missile launcher

Scout Squad (5) : 83 pts
        - 4 Sniper rifles, Missile launcher

- Lascanon

ELITE
    Death Company with jump packs (10) : 248 pts
        - 3 Thunder Hammer

Vanguard Veteran Squad with jump packs (5) : 106 pts
        - 1x Powersword, 3 x Storm shields, 1 model with double chainsword

- Veteran Sergeant : Relic blade, Storm shield

Total : 1249 points - 49 models - 12 unités

With this one, I keep in reserve my DC Squad and Vanguard squad as well as Astorath and the Sanguinary priest (or I can have them on the table and use follorn fury if the occasion presents itself, but as we will play with the new chapter approved full deployment, this would be less likely). My friend will have to use his motojets to dig a hole in the ennemy's defenses with the hurrican bolters to create a gap for my reserves to deep strike in on juicy targets. The DC can charge 3D6, keeping one command point for 1 dice reroll as I don't field Lemartes. With Astorath they get hits rerolls and with sanguinary priest they get Force +1 meaning they will wound T4 on 2+ with chainswords. Vanguard veteran squad is here to screen Astorath and the sanguinary priest in the likely event they miss their respective charges and can soake some wounds waiting for their occasions to shine. 

While waiting for this deep strike to unleash the close combat power of the angels, this list still manages to collect some precious anti-vehicule ranged weaponry to complete the lack of it in my ally list, while still farming some precious CPs for the deep strike units and the Captain slamguinius Wings of fire descent of angels combo on ennemy vehicule/high toughness targets. So I got those 3 options to handle heavy toughness/multiple wounds targets : 2x slamguinius captains and 1x DC squad (note that Astorath and the Vanguard sergent will also hit on Force 7 D3 Damage with the Priest so they also are valuable options) but those need 9" clean areas. So I can use the 2x Lascanon 2x Missile Launchers for those units that can't be handled by captains and/or DC - transports that need to be handled turn 1, very well screened targets...). While waiting for those opportunities, the captains will start on the table to give the reroll aura to those heavy weapons. Snipers can also help to get an occasional mortal wound on vehicules to help.

I think if all goes as planned, this list might compliment my ally's army pretty well. Though I'm still concerned by the "hit or miss" tactic with the deep striking units as in the unlikely (but not that much unlikely) event the DC misses its charge it will stay very exposed and I might get half my army wiped pretty fast, so that led me to think about option 2.

Second option :

Détachement : Battalion 1

HQ
    Astorath : 105 pts

[Index] Sanguinary Priest with Jump Pack : 90 pts

- Power sword

TROOPS
        - 5 close combat weapons

- 5 close combat weapons

- 5 bolters

Détachement : Battalion 2

HQ

[Warlord] Captain with jump pack : 124 pts
        - Thunder Hammer, Storm shield, Black rage, Baal's hammer, [codex] Gift of foresight

TROOPS
    Scout Squad (5) : 65 pts
        - 5 sniper rifles

- 5 sniper rifles

- Lascanon

ELITE
    Sanguinary Ancient : 76 pts
        - Bolter Angelus, Power fist, Standard of Sacrifice

Sanguinary Guard (7) : 236 pts
        - 7 Bolter Angelus, 4 Encarmin sword, 3 Power Fist

Vanguard Veteran Squad à réacteur dorsal (5) : 110 pts
        - 2 power sword, 3 Storm shields, one model with dual chainsword
        - Veteran Sergeant : Relic blade, Storm shield

Total : 1250 points - 47 models - 13 units

So this one is pretty similar to the other one. Though my deep striking main unit is a sanguinary guard with the banner for the 5+ FNP. The idea is that the deep striking force is now more durable (2 hitpoints, 2+ armour saves 5+ FNP sanguinary guard and 3+ inv 5+ FNP Vanguard with also the 5+ FNP on astorath. The healing power of the Priest get more usefull on a more durable astorath or on 2 hit points sanguinary guards. Also the Force +1 allows for 2+ wounding on the sanguinary guard with reroll of ones with the banner. A more durable unit also means more chances to use astorath's +1 to hit aura (which can't be used on the deep striking turn) for a 2nd charge next turn still potent despite the likely losses : those getting compensated by a rerollable 2+ to hit on swords and 3+ on fists. 

I feel like this deepstrinking combo makes more sense to the list, but I'm concerned with the lack of ranged heavy weaponry due to the heavier investment needed. I could add somes back by removing some models in the Sanguinary guard unit but in my experience I do need a few of them to be impactful and resilient, which is what I expect to do with this one : the goal is also to attract some firepower and alleviate those on the motojets so they can get more easily into close combat.

I sadly won't be able to test my list with my ally in a 2vs2 situation before the list registration for the tournament, so I need advices from experienced players as to which option seem more suited. 

Thank you in advances for the answers.

Edited by Maloken, 30 December 2018 - 04:04 AM.

Lynnean

Lynnean

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,461 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords, Exsanguinators
Have you thought about making room for the sanguinor in those lists? Both look like they may benefit from his +1 attack aura alot.
Other then that, looks like fun

ETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_An

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,104 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Any further developments to this list? Personally, I'd look to have both a ML and a HB in there to maximise access to mortal wounds.

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpgETL_2018_Medal_04_ETL_Magister.gifETL_2018_Medal_03_Primus_Interpares_01.gETL_VI_Banner_Dominus_Exercitus_Blood_AnETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_03.gifETL_Medal_05.gifgallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:3
1250 Death Company List (jump)  W:0 D:0 L:4
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:1 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:4 D:0 L:2
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:0 D:0 L:0

Maloken

Maloken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

Hi,

Glad you're asking for some news. I'm eventually settled on a modified version of the last option :

1st Batalion

HQ

- Thunder Hammer, Storm shield, Black rage, 

TROOPS
        - 5 close combat weapons

Scout Squad (5) : 59 pts
        - 4 close combat weapons

- Sergent with Power sword

Tactical Squad (5) : 67 pts
        - Sergent with Bolter + Stormbolter

2nd Batalion

HQ
    [Warlord] Sanguinor : 150 pts

Mephiston : 160 pts

TROOPS
        - 5 sniper rifles

Scout Squad (5) : 63 pts
        - 4 sniper rifles, 1 Bolter

Scout Squad (5) : 63 pts

- 4 sniper rifles, 1 Bolter

ELITE
    Sanguinary Ancient : 78 pts
        - Angelus Bolter, Power fist, Mask, Standard of Sacrifice

Sanguinary Guard (7) : 236 pts
        - 4 Angelus Bolter, 3 plasma pistols, 4 Encarmin sword, 3 Power Fist

I've switched back to Mephiston who can dispell smite 2 times per turn. He'll stay with the motojets. Then I wanted something that could impact in deep strike close combat which synergize well with the cleaning capabilities of the motojet bikes. I wanted something quite resilient though as it will most likely be a magnet for the ennemy firepower since this unit will be more easily dealt with than the custodes bikes. I wanted TH/SS Terminators but they are not eligible to the 3D6 Charge stratagem so that was out of the way, so the 2nd next choice of a resilient close combat deepstriking unit was sanguinary guard. Also the models are very nice and also offer a visual synergy with the custodes. Sanguinor was then an obvious choice for more attack power as sanguinary guards really lack with only two attacks on profile.

Troop choice didn't change that much, though I did get the Lascan out as it wouldn't be that impactful alone. I've had quite a success while playtesting with snipers so I've added 3 of them. The reason I don't do 3x5 snipers is only due to models availibity in my collection.

Then I've added a few weapons to spend the last points remaining. I'm not quite sold on the scout's power sword but well... It could turn out usefull.

The list is now registered for the tournament. Sadly I couldn't playtest it in real condition with my custodes ally before registration. I've tried a quite similar version in a 1 vs 1 2k points context against space wolf with quite a success (that lead me to increase the snipers in my scouts squads as they were very usefull to deal with the SW's caracters, mainly the one with the "hit last" relic which is a pain in the ass for any Blood Angels player I guess). I've had the occasion to test this very version in a 2v2 context with an Ultramarine ally against SW and Drukhari Cabal with Ravagers and 4 jets. After this game I felt quite disappointed since we got smashed pretty hard. The context is quite different than the one I'll be dealing with in tournament though, because my ally's list was very different than what the custodes will be, mainly revolving around Guiliman and Hellblasters, so there was nothing to progress on the field to offer screening for mephiston and we got no fire power to clear screens which hold me from deep striking on interesting ennemy targets. Besides, SW player being still under a strong PTSD from the last game against my snipers got his team to focus fire on them. 

I will most likely playtest it again this week in real context, before the real tournament starting early february. I'll get back to you on this list's performances if you ever get interested.

Edited by Maloken, 21 January 2019 - 05:23 PM.

• Lynnean likes this

Maloken

Maloken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6 posts

Playtested the list again against Drukhari + SW but with my Custodes ally. Maelstrom classic scenario with the special rule that every player can score the points from holding objective, even if the card was drawn by the opponent.

We lost first turn. 1 captain, sanguinary guards, ancient and sanguinor were kept in reserves, so were the 3 ennemy ravagers.

Ennemy turn 1 : Early on my scouts got focus fired again and died quite quickly, but this preserved the Custodes bikes so that they didn't lose 1 HP on the remaining attacks they suffered. They score 1st blood, and 2 of their cards that needed them to hold objectives on their side.

Our turn 1 : We managed to get down some of the planes (or at least heavily damage them). I used my CC remaining scout squad to pin down in close combat the ennemy warlord with the Fight last relic armor so that the custodes could clean some of the ennemies around without worrying from the 6 pcs heroic intervention.

We only scored one point from holding one of our objective, and gave 1 more points to the ennemy from the Hold objective 6 card, objective 6 being in their deployment zone.

Ennemy turn 2 : ravagers deep striked and focused fire the custodes bikes. Nearly half of them died under fire. Then the Wulfen charged and killed many of them. At the end of the ennemy 2nd turn, my allied only had 2 bikes and 2 captains on bikes remaining.

I don't remember what cards they needed to mark.

Our turn 2 : I deep striked my sanguinary guard to help with the wulfen. My ally disengaged his bikes from the wulfen and sniped 2 of the SW characters with the hurricane bolters. I cleaned 1-2 wulfen with the bolters and plasma pistols, but couldn't use the 3D6 charge due to it being veked by the ennemy. I miss every charge, so sanguinor, the ancien and the sanguinary guard keep standing in the midle of the table.

We scored 2 of our objectives from getting down one plane and scoring one more objective.

Ennemy turn 3 : Ravagers fired on the remaining custodes and on my sanguinary guard. Even with the 5+ banner, I only had 2 of them still standing at the end of the turn. My custodes allied got cleaned from the table.

Can't remember the ennemy cards, but they managed to score most of them.

Our turn 3 : My remaining captain manage to find a hole in the ennemy defenses to deepstrik 9pcs from the ennemy ravagers. My sanguinary guard charge the wulfen and clean all of them except one, though the whole squad get swiped due to wulfen fighting one last time when they die, so only sanguinor and ancient were still alive. My captain got veked again, but I did manage a good dice roll and close in on a ravager. Rolled three 2 on dices though, so only 2 attacks hit, rolled a 1, so only one wound on the ravager. 

We scored 3 of our objectives from killing ennemy characters, >10 wounds unit and having none unit left in our deployment zone.

At the end of this turn, we decided to stop the game because it was late at night and I would most likely not have anything remaining at the end of 4th turn.

In the end, we lost 9-14 to objectives. Game was pretty harsh, custodes bikes aren't so scary after all and die pretty quickly with appropriate weaponry. I feel that Drukhari is a hard counter to BA with the vekt strategem. Overall, we haven't been lucky with the cards compared to our opponents, though we can't only blame the cards since we got obliterated from the table too. Maybe we felt to confident in closing in bare hands with the space wolves units and should've avoided it's unit and focus on cleaning the drukhari screens to help with our own deepstriking units (though with the vekt strategem, not sure it would've been that impactful). An idea for next game would be to start with the 5+++ banner on the table to help the scouts surviving more, even though they were in cover it's pretty hard having them survive when there's not many ways to block line of sight.

Edited by Maloken, 28 January 2019 - 01:21 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blood angels, adeptus custodes, tournament, 2vs2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users