8th Ed. Grey Knights Tactica: Forged In Defiance Of Fate

Biscuittzz

So I was thinking we could create a place to compile and build upon all of our tactics, discussions, army compositions and so forth. All found in one place. We are a relatively small group in the overall B&C and looking at other factions and armies who have their own centralised threads, I thought we could attempt something similar.

In saying that, I'd like this to be a tactics thread for Mono-GK but I understand that soup plays a large roll in how people play their grey-armoured daemon killers. In my opinion, I think GK and soup is practically well known at this stage regarding loyal 32, Knights, Guard etc. so hopefully we can keep the focus on mono tactics.

So to get the ball rolling, how is everyone faring after CA 2018 and what do we feel are our go to units? 

I'd like to throw my own opinion out there and say are we falling into the trap of thinking a battalion is our main detachment? I've been thinking of running possibly 3 smaller ones i.e. an outrider, vanguard and spearhead. Would be 6 cp compared to 8-9 cp but with the sorry state our strategems are in at the moment I don't think losing out on 2-3 cp is that bad.

My main line of thought behind this is I'd rather have 3 units of Interceptors than Strikes as they provide a lot more flexibility and manoeuvring potential for the high pressure and aggressive lists that GKs should play, in my opinion of course. Obsec has been a non-factor for me so losing that is fine in this edition of hordes.

What are peoples thoughts on double battalion? While it greatly increases the CP amount, I feel so much is taken up in troops that it leaves very little for hard hitters.

Yeah I think people get blinders on about such things and don't consider (or just dismiss) the possibilities.

Where I intend to play at, the points cap is 1500 so good news/badnews right?

Good news in that I probably won't have to deal with too much crazy stuff, bad news because points rocket up.

330 points. That's what 3 troops cost me, and I'm using Psycannons with them.
Don't forget that you'll have 2 HQs anyway, so instead of running two +1 CP Detachments, I'd just fork out for about 300pts to have 3 more CP and 15 more wounds. Oh, and 3 more Smites. They might even make the difference between DSing another heavy hitting unit turn 2 that would otherwise have to leg it from the deployment zone. Leave that to your Strike Squads.

Sure, Interceptors are the main mobile units we have, but you can't take more than 600pts worth of them anyway. That's 900pts we have now. Even at a max of 1500, that leaves some room for HQs and Paladins.

That would make that army more time consuming to kill. Putting many high value units on the table instead leaves you vulnerable on turn 1 and every lost model hurts. Screen your non-DSing HQs with Smiting Strike Squads and the enemy has to work for it while you shrug it off.

Double Battalion? Well, spamming Brother-Caps alongside them and using a Land Raider for good measure would make Custodes and MEQs less nervous than hordes, but hordes will feel some pain - you have a serious number of dice there AND you present a very broad field of potential targets with very few non-character high value units.

That's 660pts, 3 BroCaps and a Champ. How many points are that?

Edit: using barebones MSU Strike Squads, it would total in at 1058. 10CP and room for two 4 man Paladin Squads and plenty of special weapons to spare before ou even get to 1500.

I think that would work.

Here's a double battalion I'm in the process of building. Only 15 x strikes to magnetize and paint and 2 x GMNDKs to pick up! Lol.

Tactics wise, I'd consider DSing the whole 2nd battalion to attempt to pincer or surround the enemy, hitting exposed flanks or getting my enemy to split their forces. I think 4 GMNDKs would be a bit menacing!

If I manage to get this list on the table I don't even know what I'd do with all the command points, so much room for activity!

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [49 PL, 823pts] ++

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 249pts]: 4: First to the Fray, Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Sanctuary, Warlord

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 259pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gate of Infinity, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

+ Troops +

Strike Squad [7 PL, 105pts]: Hammerhand
. 4x Grey Knight (Falchions): 4x Storm Bolter
. Grey Knight Justicar: Storm bolter, Two Nemesis Falchions

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [49 PL, 813pts] ++

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 249pts]: Dreadfist, Gate of Infinity, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 249pts]: Dreadfist, Gate of Infinity, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

+ Troops +

++ Vanguard Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [26 PL, 362pts] ++

+ HQ +

Brother-Captain [9 PL, 112pts]: Gate of Infinity, Nemesis Force Halberd, Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Apothecary [5 PL, 75pts]: Gate of Infinity, Nemesis Force Halberd

Paladin Ancient [7 PL, 100pts]: Banner of Refining Flame, Storm Bolter and Falchion, Vortex of Doom

++ Total: [124 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with https://battlescribe.net'>BattleScribe

Here's a double battalion I'm in the process of building. Only 15 x strikes to magnetize and paint and 2 x GMNDKs to pick up! Lol.

Tactics wise, I'd consider DSing the whole 2nd battalion to attempt to pincer or surround the enemy, hitting exposed flanks or getting my enemy to split their forces. I think 4 GMNDKs would be a bit menacing!

If I manage to get this list on the table I don't even know what I'd do with all the command points, so much room for activity!

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 249pts]: 4: First to the Fray, Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Sanctuary, Warlord

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight [14 PL, 259pts]: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gate of Infinity, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

Brother-Captain [9 PL, 112pts]: Gate of Infinity, Nemesis Force Halberd, Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Paladin Ancient [7 PL, 100pts]: Banner of Refining Flame, Storm Bolter and Falchion, Vortex of Doom

Created with BattleScribe</span></span>

Just note that you are not allowed to take 4 units of a kind outside of Troops and Dedicated Transports :P

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

Just note that you are not allowed to take 4 units of a kind outside of Troops and Dedicated Transports :tongue.:

Oh, :cuss! I thought that was per detachment, not per army! I'm still really new to 40k, apologies! Could I just drop a GMNDK and use the points elsewhere or does it apply to troops too?

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

Just note that you are not allowed to take 4 units of a kind outside of Troops and Dedicated Transports :tongue.:

Oh, :cuss! I thought that was per detachment, not per army! I'm still really new to 40k, apologies! Could I just drop a GMNDK and use the points elsewhere or does it apply to troops too?

It applies to everything except Troops and DTs, so you are totally free to take PAGKs only as obj-keepers but max 3x of choices of any other battlefield role (named characters are an exception to this rule, so you may take e.g. Stern + 3 Bro-Captains even if the big guy is technically a Bro-Cap lorewise) ;)

Also keep in mind that the limit applies per datasheet, so 3 footslogging GMs and 3 GMDKs can legally coexist in your list ;)

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

It applies to everything except Troops and DTs, so you are totally free to take PAGKs only as obj-keepers but max 3x of choices of any other battlefield role (named characters are an exception to this rule, so you may take e.g. Stern + 3 Bro-Captains even if the big guy is technically a Bro-Cap lorewise) :wink:

Also keep in mind that the limit applies per datasheet, so 3 footslogging GMs and 3 GMDKs can legally coexist in your list :wink:

Awesome, cheers!

Well still, 3 GMDKs and Draigo/Voldus and a load of CPs could be something to deal with, outside the obvious hyper competitive scenarios.

Also keep in mind that the limit applies per datasheet, so 3 footslogging GMs and 3 GMDKs can legally coexist in your list :wink:

6 Grand Masters going to battle... what a glorious day.

Can't help but think it started like this though.

6 GMDKs kept cheap, that's around 1000pts. Plenty of space for Strike Squads to fill at least one Battalion, 15 Interceptors and a Stormraven.

I won't ever try that, but it sure sounds like fun. If you manage not to get your HQs bogged down by massive hordes, that is.

6 GMDKs kept cheap, that's around 1000pts. Plenty of space for Strike Squads to fill at least one Battalion, 15 Interceptors and a Stormraven.

I won't ever try that, but it sure sounds like fun. If you manage not to get your HQs bogged down by massive hordes, that is.

Well, you could have done that before the "rule of 3" nerf, but right now you are stuck to 3 TAGMs and 3 GMDKs in any case :P

Well, you could have done that before the "rule of 3" nerf, but right now you are stuck to 3 TAGMs and 3 GMDKs in any case :P

0.o that should say 6GMs, referring to the 3GM, 3GMDK idea. Typo, sorry. 6GMDKs would furthermore be a lot more pricey than 1000pts.

330 points. That's what 3 troops cost me, and I'm using Psycannons with them.

Don't forget that you'll have 2 HQs anyway, so instead of running two +1 CP Detachments, I'd just fork out for about 300pts to have 3 more CP and 15 more wounds. Oh, and 3 more Smites. They might even make the difference between DSing another heavy hitting unit turn 2 that would otherwise have to leg it from the deployment zone. Leave that to your Strike Squads.

Sure, Interceptors are the main mobile units we have, but you can't take more than 600pts worth of them anyway. That's 900pts we have now. Even at a max of 1500, that leaves some room for HQs and Paladins.

That would make that army more time consuming to kill. Putting many high value units on the table instead leaves you vulnerable on turn 1 and every lost model hurts. Screen your non-DSing HQs with Smiting Strike Squads and the enemy has to work for it while you shrug it off.

Double Battalion? Well, spamming Brother-Caps alongside them and using a Land Raider for good measure would make Custodes and MEQs less nervous than hordes, but hordes will feel some pain - you have a serious number of dice there AND you present a very broad field of potential targets with very few non-character high value units.

That's 660pts, 3 BroCaps and a Champ. How many points are that?

Edit: using barebones MSU Strike Squads, it would total in at 1058. 10CP and room for two 4 man Paladin Squads and plenty of special weapons to spare before ou even get to 1500.

I think that would work.

Good points.

But my idea is that I'd be foregoing the battalion entirely so I'd be doing three +1 CP detachments. I think we have a bit of stockholm syndrome with strikes as all we have to compare them against are terminators, which skew our view of just how relatively bad they are in the long run.

If I was going battalion I'd even contemplate 3 units of terminators backed up by interceptors and GMDKs or ven dreds.

Even with the points drops I found the BroCap to be lacking. He really needs the ancient for the smite synergy and at that stage you're looking at over 200 points, which falls into the 'well I can just take another GMDK'. An unfortunate problem with the entire codex at the moment. The smite buff from the ancient is too swingy for me imo.

3 stormravens anyone? :ph34r.:

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

It applies to everything except Troops and DTs, so you are totally free to take PAGKs only as obj-keepers but max 3x of choices of any other battlefield role (named characters are an exception to this rule, so you may take e.g. Stern + 3 Bro-Captains even if the big guy is technically a Bro-Cap lorewise) :wink:

Awesome, cheers!

Well still, 3 GMDKs and Draigo/Voldus and a load of CPs could be something to deal with, outside the obvious hyper competitive scenarios.

Could do 3 GMDKs and 3 normal NDKs I believe.

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Troops +

+ HQ +

+ Elites +

Awesome, cheers!

Could do 3 GMDKs and 3 normal NDKs I believe.

In principle yes, though it's a pity that normal NDKs just suck as heck :P

Well for Primaris 3 Repulsors and 2 Redemptor Dreadnoughts works decently well even in super competetive games (check out neonmoles thread in the BA subforum). Maybe GK could do something similar with 3 Stormraven and 2 GMNDK. ^^

EDIT: just clicked it together real quick.

The 1750p(1746p) BA list would be:

HQ

1x Captain Smash

1x Primaris Captain with Fist

1x Primaris Lt with Sword

Troop

3x5 Intercessors with Sword and AGL

Elite

2x Redemptor Dread with HOG

Dedicated Transport

3x Repulsor with Twin Lascannon and HOG

The 1750p(1746p) GK list would be:

HQ

2x GMNDK with fists, gatling and cannon

Troop

3x5 Strike Squad with Falcions

Flyer

3x Stormraven with Hurricane Bolters, Twin Lascannons and Twin Heavy Bolter

A bit weaker due lack of Captain Smash, half the wounds on Troops and the boots on the ground rule kickin in with Stormraven but not with Repulsors but on the other hand the BA list has zero psychic defense or offense and is relying almost completely on the T7/8 Sv3+ instead of the invulnerable saves and to-hit penalty of the GMNDK and the Stormravens.

So I'd say if the BA can play with the big guys then such a GK list should be at least able to fight a decent fight against pretty much every list as well. :wink:

Archived