Help with an undead/ghost themed army?

Lord Kallozar

Fluff explanations would be easy. A Tzeentch curse for ghosts or a Nurgle curse for zombies (Plague Marines and Poxwalker are not that different to zombies) ... or a number of other possible things. Just get creative, there's not much that's not possible with the warp and the Legion of the Damned already exists anyway. ;)

A warpstorm throws a warband into real space over a hive world as it rapidly destroys planet after planet, working towards the system’s star. With no escape possible, the warband makes planetfall and in a fit of rage, slaughters every soul on the planet, finally turning on themselves. Their massacre echoes through the warp and the warpstorm spares them from destruction after a fashion. Their spirits animate their armor and war machines as the storm passes over the dead hive world, and the warband continues on to slay world after world, forever repeating their final hours over and over, again and again.

How about a cursed Astartes that fight in a spectral world.

A world of thick fog where the enemy is nothing but a vague shapes.

But in reality they are ghost trapped in a fog that chaos followers have summoned.

And the enemy that the loyal chapter are slaughtering are in fact servants of the imperium.

So it could be a Khorne themed army, where you have corps fires that produces the fog/smoke.

The rage of conquered enemies summoned to fight in shroud of the rage fires.

The marines themselves aren't ghosts, but the Crimson Slaughter are haunted by possessor spirits and poltergheists. In the old rules they actually had fear across their dettachments for it and some units where harder to hit because of it.

I'm actually working on a warband that is made up of remnants them and mutated Nightlords. They use the spirits to spread fear into the enemy. I'm going to put AoS ghosts bits on them and use Night Lord rules. They are spooky, plus can be used to obscure the marines by the In Midnight Clad stratagem.

How about a delusional lord (or heck, even a loyalist captain) who still thinks his warband is alive even after they got destroyed ages ago, and his strong connection to the warp makes his delusions "real" (with a little help from Tzeentch). HE sees them as their old selves, but in reality they are just corpses and spirits.

Thanks guys some great ideas. Is there a legitimate way fluffwise that the undead warband would worship slaanesh?

I would think the mirror scene from Poltergeist would do nicely here as an inspiration. Ah, there is a blemish on my skin, I better emove it...the skin, that is...

On the grave of an Imperial saint, the warband discovers 6 petals of the mythical scarlet lotus. in a fell ritual involving increasingly debased acts, an extraction from the petals is consumed by most of the warband. The experience is beyond anything even a devotee of Slaannesh could imagine, so exquisite, so intense, but so deadly that it kills all who consumed the petals. However, even death itself can not stop the high of the scarlet lotus, and the spirits of the marines are left trapped in the armor, animating it even after their bodies have stopped living. The warband continues on, sometimes in search of an antidote, and other times in search of more yet petals, but at all times driven mad by the scarlet lotus.

You could change the color of the petals to a major color of your warband. Or vampires, vampires seem pretty slaaneshi to me.

Thanks guys some great ideas. Is there a legitimate way fluffwise that the undead warband would worship slaanesh?

They're under some curse or twisted blessing like the crew of the Black Pearl from the first Pirates movie. They can't die, and appear as undead or even ghosts to many in the right light, but all their senses have turned to nothing. Desperate for any sensation, they turn to the god of experiences, and he blesses them by letting them taste and feel again... but only in battle, killing enemies. All they now feel is the wind from explosions and the near passage of an enemies's blade; all that stands out in their hearing is the screams of the dying, the rev of chainswords, and the tearing sounds of flesh being split asunder; all they can taste is the blood and flesh of their enemies, but it tastes like the finest wine and meat to their senses. What then would you do to get the next rush of experience? (This is actually close to how a lot of older noise marines have supposedly been degraded, with everything outside battle grey and boring) 

First let me say that the Warp Ghosts are literally undead....actual ghosts that survive in physical form by transferring to new host bodies when their old wear out. They are rather fixated on finding healthy flesh of either psykers or Space Marines to continue their existence. Searching for "perfect specimens" could lead some to worship Slaanesh. Since they are an undivided warband with shrouded motives, I see no reason why a particular faction couldn't worship Slaanesh, though we know that at least some of their number are former Thousand Sons.

They also act as literal Ferrymen through the Eye of Terror and appear at many different times in many different eras, despite being 40k Renegades, due to the time paradoxes of the Warp. If you let them take what they need, they get you where you want to go.

They are a fleet-based Renegade warband with lots of ships, extremely aggressive raiding tactics (even compared to other Renegades), and a penchant for aircraft and heavy armor, particularly the bigger Forge World tanks and lots of gunships. This has to do with much of their background coming from Forge World after they were initially created by GW in 3rd Edition, and they probably collect such prizes as payment for some of their services. The Renegade Chapters Legion Trait suits them perfectly. No need to look for anything else.

The WG appear mysteriously, shrouded in fog, with their vehicles leading the way. Then comes an extremely aggressive assault by their infantry that inflicts such complete destruction that most who have suffered their raids can't even describe what their infantry look like because there were no witnesses to the follow up attack. 

More detail on them can be found in Imperial Armour 13 if you can get it, as well as the Black Legion series.

They are known to make use of the Typhon Heavy Siege Tank (which is workable, but I do NOT recommend you use it without a lot of practice due to its high point cost) and the Fire Raptor Gunship in particular.

From a play perspective....

When building an army, think of lots of stuff that likes to Advance. Psykers of all types, Assault weapons everywhere, Berzerkers, Noise Marines,  Blight Launcher/Melee Plague Marines, Possessed, Bikes, Maulerfiends, Double CC Helbrutes, Double CC Contemptors with Assault Weapons in their Fists, certain Raptor builds, Sicarans, etc. This is also one of the few armies where you want to bring TONS of Melta, since they can fire while Advancing and Renegades lack Veterans of the Long War. Lots of Chainaxes, Power Mauls/Axes, and Power Fists for the same reason.

This is an army that goes "all-in" and dedicates itself to racing up the table and punching the opponent in the teeth with a combination of point-blank shooting and assault. Please DO NOT forget LOTS of point blank firepower or this WILL NOT work and you will be a sad panda. :)

I'm slowly building a Warp Ghost army and mine focuses on Bikes, small Raptor squads, a Sicaran, and Troops in Dreadclaws. I also have a large squad of Terminators with tons of Combi-Flamers. 

Hilariously, I plan on deploying the Terminator Squad on the table turn one, then Advancing (CP reroll if necessary for good distance), then Warp Time-ing them forward to double that move, followed by tons of burninating and a Charge (yay, Renegades!).

I figure I can get 18 inches of movement that way after deploying extremely aggressively (prepared positions if necessary), which can get me across 30 inches of table (before Charge). In something like Dawn of War deployment, that's great. Not to be used every time, but can blow your opponent's wig back in the right circumstances, especially since I have 2 Raptor squads (also w/Flamers), a large Bike squad, and probably 3 loaded Dreadclaws on the table. Decisions, decisions. :smile.:

Slaanesh would make that even more awesome (and more durable with Delightful Agonies). Doing it out of a Storm Eagle or Spartan would also be fluffy, grant 3 extra inches of move, and give you another hard target to present (plus more guns).

Hope that gives you some ideas.

First let me say that the Warp Ghosts are literally undead....actual ghosts that survive in physical form by transferring to new host bodies when their old wear out. They are rather fixated on finding healthy flesh of either psykers or Space Marines to continue their existence. 

Do you remember where you got this info from? I don't remember that part of their lore. 

First let me say that the Warp Ghosts are literally undead....actual ghosts that survive in physical form by transferring to new host bodies when their old wear out. They are rather fixated on finding healthy flesh of either psykers or Space Marines to continue their existence. 

Do you remember where you got this info from? I don't remember that part of their lore. 

It's from the fluff text in Imperial Armour 13. Pg. 56 explictly states that they are said to be withered, undying souls that search for new flesh. There's also a passage on pg.22 that describes them being instrumental in destroying the Sons of the Raven Chapter in M37 and a Warp Ghost captain showing up 18 years later wearing the body of the Sons' Chapter Master.

First let me say that the Warp Ghosts are literally undead....actual ghosts that survive in physical form by transferring to new host bodies when their old wear out. They are rather fixated on finding healthy flesh of either psykers or Space Marines to continue their existence. Searching for "perfect specimens" could lead some to worship Slaanesh. Since they are an undivided warband with shrouded motives, I see no reason why a particular faction couldn't worship Slaanesh, though we know that at least some of their number are former Thousand Sons.

They also act as literal Ferrymen through the Eye of Terror and appear at many different times in many different eras, despite being 40k Renegades, due to the time paradoxes of the Warp. If you let them take what they need, they get you where you want to go.

They are a fleet-based Renegade warband with lots of ships, extremely aggressive raiding tactics (even compared to other Renegades), and a penchant for aircraft and heavy armor, particularly the bigger Forge World tanks and lots of gunships. This has to do with much of their background coming from Forge World after they were initially created by GW in 3rd Edition, and they probably collect such prizes as payment for some of their services. The Renegade Chapters Legion Trait suits them perfectly. No need to look for anything else.

The WG appear mysteriously, shrouded in fog, with their vehicles leading the way. Then comes an extremely aggressive assault by their infantry that inflicts such complete destruction that most who have suffered their raids can't even describe what their infantry look like because there were no witnesses to the follow up attack. 

More detail on them can be found in Imperial Armour 13 if you can get it, as well as the Black Legion series.

They are known to make use of the Typhon Heavy Siege Tank (which is workable, but I do NOT recommend you use it without a lot of practice due to its high point cost) and the Fire Raptor Gunship in particular.

From a play perspective....

When building an army, think of lots of stuff that likes to Advance. Psykers of all types, Assault weapons everywhere, Berzerkers, Noise Marines,  Blight Launcher/Melee Plague Marines, Possessed, Bikes, Maulerfiends, Double CC Helbrutes, Double CC Contemptors with Assault Weapons in their Fists, certain Raptor builds, Sicarans, etc. This is also one of the few armies where you want to bring TONS of Melta, since they can fire while Advancing and Renegades lack Veterans of the Long War. Lots of Chainaxes, Power Mauls/Axes, and Power Fists for the same reason.

This is an army that goes "all-in" and dedicates itself to racing up the table and punching the opponent in the teeth with a combination of point-blank shooting and assault. Please DO NOT forget LOTS of point blank firepower or this WILL NOT work and you will be a sad panda. :smile.:

I'm slowly building a Warp Ghost army and mine focuses on Bikes, small Raptor squads, a Sicaran, and Troops in Dreadclaws. I also have a large squad of Terminators with tons of Combi-Flamers. 

Hilariously, I plan on deploying the Terminator Squad on the table turn one, then Advancing (CP reroll if necessary for good distance), then Warp Time-ing them forward to double that move, followed by tons of burninating and a Charge (yay, Renegades!).

I figure I can get 18 inches of movement that way after deploying extremely aggressively (prepared positions if necessary), which can get me across 30 inches of table (before Charge). In something like Dawn of War deployment, that's great. Not to be used every time, but can blow your opponent's wig back in the right circumstances, especially since I have 2 Raptor squads (also w/Flamers), a large Bike squad, and probably 3 loaded Dreadclaws on the table. Decisions, decisions. :smile.:

Slaanesh would make that even more awesome (and more durable with Delightful Agonies). Doing it out of a Storm Eagle or Spartan would also be fluffy, grant 3 extra inches of move, and give you another hard target to present (plus more guns).

Hope that gives you some ideas.

I made a small mistake: It's only the Stygian Vanguard (their tanks and superheavies) that are shrouded in fog and they have tons of WARships, not necessarily gunship attack craft, though those can be assumed. I confused a Sons of Malice Fire Raptor color plate for theirs.

Archived