Mini the year 2018

Aramis K

GW poll for mini of the year 2018 is up:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/30/30th-dec-the-2018-model-of-the-year-cast-your-votegw-homepage-post-2/

What do we all think?

Personally it would have to be one of the AoS centerpiece minis; Morathi or Eidolon, but in the end I voted for the Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal steed.

But keeping it 40k and it feels much harder.

We've got the Knight Armiger, the Ork scrapjet, and obviously the kill-team dog.

But I'm going for the Kroot from Blackstone fortress. Because horray for xeno mercs.

QTqtDxu.jpg

I think 40k wise either of the new Rogue Trader models would be my choice, they're both great looking and a welcome dive into the Imperium that we don't normally see.

In the whole, it's got to be Morathi. Just a fantastic model.

I backed the Great Unclean One. Really nice update of the unit -- arguably nicer than the Bloodthirster and the Lord of Change that preceded it. A lot of nice releases from GW, though: there wasn't really a wrong choice in the whole bunch (well, there probably was, but I've likely purged it from my mind.)

I'd have to say it appears that a lot of the really creative design work seems  to be going to the  AoS side of the house. That may be due to the need  to re-develop that universe, but AoS has come out  with some pretty amazing stuff of late.

I ended up voting for the Eidolon Sea guy. A very clever model and a pretty wild concept for an army.

I agree with Honda. While there's been some really nice 40k models this year. AoS stuff is so much more interesting. Both the Deepkin and the Nighthaunt are fantastic ranges that are full of imaginative designs. While the 40k stuff has been solid, it's mostly been more of the same. What I mean is we're just seeing further refinement of existing concepts, rather than taking a range in a new direction (Nighthaunt and the new Goomspite Gitz) or something completely new (Idoneth Deepkin and Karadron Overlords). I'm really hoping that once the re-design of Sisters is complete and all the other races are fully updated to 8th that we see GW do something completely new and unexpected for 40k, on the level of the stuff they've been doing for AoS. Sadly we'll probably just see more Primaris.

My vote went to Lady Olynder, but on another day it could have been one of several other Nighthaunt models. The entire range is glorious.

I'd have to say it appears that a lot of the really creative design work seems  to be going to the  AoS side of the house. That may be due to the need  to re-develop that universe, but AoS has come out  with some pretty amazing stuff of late.

I ended up voting for the Eidolon Sea guy. A very clever model and a pretty wild concept for an army.

Yeah. It was hard for me to choose ANY model. I ended up voting for the Noise Marine, because yes.

And that's only because the newly revealed Troggoths come out NEXT year :lol:

Too many fine models and paintjobs to pick just one. The fantasy ones are simply fantastic.
I'm biased towards the grim dark future of only war. My choice may not be as pimped out as most others, but I'm a modeler of simple tastes.

I voted for the Armiger Warglaive.

med_gallery_127575_15032_42681.jpg

I voted for UR-025

but I wanted to vote for the Armiger titan.

as I think GW should phase out the sentinel kits for the guard and just replace it with a armiger with a different weapon loadout.

Noise Marine for me, no question.  

AoS has a few things in there that are aesthetically cool but I just don't connect with any of it, just feels very much "Oh that's a kinda cool CMON fig-oh wait, I gave up Bretonnians for these.  Carry on."  Bitter much, yes. 

Second choice for me would be Calgar because of the Victrix.  

I'm on the Morathi camp, it's just a majestic model. Had to double check which one was gorgon Morathi though, almost voted for "regular" Morathi.

On the 40k side, I'd give it to the Renegade Guard from Blackstone Fortress. The Noise Marine was a close second, but ultimately, the Renegades woke up a feeling in me that I haven't felt since I first turned to Chaos with Codex: Eye of Terror, so they win.

Had to think for a moment about the Cawdor and Delaque gangs too. Competition was really tight this year.

Archived