Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mini the year 2018

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 175 posts
Went for the Great Unclean One. Great looking update for the model imo.
  • Tymell likes this

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 657 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

I voted a little tactically - for the Traitor Guard in blackstone fortress. The whole box is full of win bar a couple of exceptions (Ranger mutant leg etc) but proper renegades that are maximum fluff after so many years - I would have happily still bought it if they were the only opponent unit in the box. That is an army that really needs to see some love.

Going purely on a single model itself with no other consideration, I'd probably edge it for the Great Unclean one.

• Son of Carnelian and Lord Marshal like this

gallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_5165.pnggallery_48988_15094_7420.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpgETL_Medal_01.gif

A D-B

A D-B

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,486 posts

For me it was between Morathi, the Namarti Reavers, and Lotann the Soul Warden. So I rolled a die and went with the Reavers.

Note: Everything I say is my own personal opinion as hobbyist, a novelist, and the world's slowest painter. It's not intended to reflect back on Games Workshop in any professional context.

Blog - Facebook - Twitter

Slaanbull

Slaanbull

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 282 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children
I voted for the Noise Marine model, simply a stunning model and a great kit. It pressed all of my buttons. smile.png

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,333 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

For me it was between Morathi, the Namarti Reavers, and Lotann the Soul Warden. So I rolled a die and went with the Reavers.

I went with the Soul Warden but had different second and third choices. Wasn't a big fan of any of the Daughters of Khaine stuff.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,868 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

Was initially between Morathi and the Noise Marine for me, but I ended up voting for the Black Legionnaires from Blackstone Fortress just because of the genuine excitement I got out of seeing revamped vanilla CSM.

• Marshal Rohr and Son of Carnelian like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,695 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

I chose traitor guard in the hopes they'll embrace a necromunda like approach to releasing boxes of IG

• zarkkarn and Lord Marshal like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,909 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

To be honest, there were so many awesome models to chose from that I went the easy route and voted for a great model I'd love to see more of ... so I only had to decide between the Kroot and the Noise Marine. Not necessarily the greatest models that got released but for sure the two models I'd like to see more of asap. tongue.png

Edited by sfPanzer, 03 January 2019 - 01:27 PM.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Tymell

Tymell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 564 posts

As much dislike as I harbour for AoS as a whole, I can't deny they've had some real winners in terms of models. The only 40K ones that'd make my shortlist are the Ork traks, but that's more my own love for Orks than anything else.

In the end I have to go with Morathi. Sometimes a model just hits you and makes your jaw drop. That was definitely the one that did it for me this year.

---------------------------
(On-going) HH project, characters, timeline points, ships - https://sites.google...ellsheresy/home

Feel free to PM in case of missing info or sudden but inevitable errors!

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,471 posts

There were a lot of good models in 2018. The broader 40k selection pales in comparison to the Rogue Trader/Blackstone Fortress which in turn pale in comparison to the AoS. Morathi was killer but the Nighthaunt Craven King was brilliant, striking re: the background visible from the model, technically amazing and surprisingly restrained in its design. Very Dark Souls. 

That said, I ended up going for the AT Warhounds. Nowhere near as radical as a lot of other things on the list but just such a elegant miniaturisation. They're adorable but they still feel big. Wonderful sprue design (making it a two pack was a good call) and the right amount of options for unique armours/weapon loadouts.

Mendi Warrior

Mendi Warrior

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 615 posts

Basically a hard choice.

Eventually I voted for the Adeptus Titanicus Reaver

such legs ... I couldn't resist biggrin.png

gallery_48988_15151_1205.png

The_Bloody

The_Bloody

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 540 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters, Dark Angels

I voted for the Titanicus Warlord.

The extreme posability, the absence of mould lines, the pre-made magnet holes, the potential for further development with different plates... 

I consider it to be the best tought out kit ever produced by gw, I have no doubt.

• Sandlemad likes this

El_Dicko

El_Dicko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts
It was a toss up for me between the Great Unclean One and the Traitor Guardsmen. Went with the later since Rotigus and GUO are listed separately and mine was built as a mix. Also just way too much excited about traitor guard and they sold me on Blackstone Fortress.

ToxicVex

ToxicVex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 119 posts

Noise Marine.

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 612 posts
House Orlock gang box for me, love their Max Rokastansky, Road Warrior, vibe. Miles better than the originals, which were good in their own rite, which says something.
  • Robbienw likes this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,528 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

Went for the obvious: Rotigus

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

DeadFingers

DeadFingers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,218 posts

And here's the Top 3.

Nothing unexpected, to be honest. Would've loved to see some sort of unit in there instead of all being "characters" (I know the winner isn't technically a character, but it is a unique sculpt sold on its own), but competition was really tough and I feel like none of these are undeserved.

• Chaplain Dosjetka and sfPanzer like this

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,909 posts

Aww yeah classic Noise Marine got the top spot. \m/

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Kobrakei

Kobrakei

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 869 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Shrikes/Dark Angels

Little underwhelmed with the result really. The Noise Marine is ace, but really coasting on the nostalgia, whereas Morathi is something we haven't seen GW attempt before. At least we know they're making more of the Noise Marine.

• Doghouse, Sandlemad, Chaplain Dosjetka and 7 others like this

'For nine days and nine nights I hung from the spines of that great tree, my blood awash with toxins, my mind awash with visions. Where brothers died, I was reborn. This is what it is to be a warrior of the Thorn Wreath'  - Jor Yestine, I Company, Crimson Shrikes Adeptus Astartes

A Dark Song - A collection of armies

Redmeption At All Costs - Dark Angels Fifth Company

Instagram

gallery_70393_10089_14170.png

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,909 posts
People like what they like. ^^

Disclaimer:

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,151 posts
  • Faction: The Aurora Chapter

Little underwhelmed with the result really. The Noise Marine is ace, but really coasting on the nostalgia, whereas Morathi is something we haven't seen GW attempt before. At least we know they're making more of the Noise Marine.

Really? Besides being Large, I don't see a lot going on with Morathi that's too interesting or unique. The Noise Marine's an incredible piece of work by comparison, IMO.

• Bryan Blaire likes this

rwgf_bannerlogo.png

Xwingt65

Xwingt65

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,350 posts
  • Faction: HH Hobby Bee.

Really? Besides being Large, I don't see a lot going on with Morathi that's too interesting or unique. The Noise Marine's an incredible piece of work by comparison, IMO.

I have built both, and I can tell you that Morathi is an incredible piece of sculpting and design. The way she goes together is incredible and a superb piece of engineering. The Noise marine is a marine with a guitar...
13.jpg

The 40k fluff explained to an outsider:

Some space elves got really into drugs and sex and a big scary monster got born that ate them.
A space wizard got beaten up by a guy who said he was his friend but wasn't and now he's on a life support machine and people worship him because he was super awesome.
Now there are giant men with rocket launcher machine guns and 4 hearts and are really super awesome who beat up everything.
Also there's a bunch of aliens but they don't really do anything and aren't as cool as the rocket machine gun super men, so who cares?

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,740 posts
That nostalgia kool aid.

Edited by Sete, 10 January 2019 - 10:13 PM.

klisof

klisof

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 595 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
I would love to see the %votes for each of the options, with so many great models across 40k, kill team, necromunda, AT and AOS in 2018 I suspect there was a heavy fragmented voted pattern.

The top 3 were all great, this is not me moaning about the winners I just think it would have been very close

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,528 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
I think the Noise Marine won because of the awesome paint job the display mini has.
  • Beams and Jarl Caldersson like this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users