Mini the year 2018

Aramis K

Take off the paint scheme and the noise Marine is rather plain in my opinion. It has the crazy mohawk, and guitar that the only thing that really stands out. Compare that to the new DG and all the guts/decay/belly plates are so much more unique.

It's still a good model, but I don't think it's too deserving. Especially when compared to GUO and Morathi.

The Noise Marine most definitely won because of its theme. People, me included, like goofy stuff like guitar blaster way more than some of you realise. It's not just about nostalgia since many didn't even play 40k back then and it also isn't about the paintjob since it really isn't that much better done than what we've seen on other models.

Looks like I completely missed the voting period for this, but for me, the GSC wins hands down for GWs best new stuff with the Abominant taking first place for my favorite GW mini of the year. It's amazing to me how the GSC stuff has a very defining characteristic look to it, but at the same time they're extremely useful for conversions to make something look completely different. 

Are you kiddin me? That's probably the best paint job I've seen 'Eavy Metal feature. Far and away the best paint job.

It was best model not best paint job. Yeah the paint job was awesome though hands down the best.

Yeah, I get that. Read my initial post on the Noise Marine, I said it was just as much the paint job that got people to vote for it as it was the model itself. It sticks out like a sore thumb and grabs your attention (in a good way). 

Another thing to keep in mind, is the Noise Marine is also a very recent miniature release (one of last of year?), and we as a species remember that which is most recent in memory better. 

So unless you had a very specific mini you bought or loved from this year, or were willing to go through the whole list, then it's easier to recall what you have just seen. 

I'll put my hand up and admit there is a good chance, subconciously, that's why I voted for it. Yes, probably better minis released this year, but I didn't see them all. 

Seeing the top 3, yes, I will admit Morathi is the better figure. But let's face it, the vote was a bit of fun, Nobody was granted the blessing of Slaanesh, nobody was given the Emperor's  Peace. We all like what we like, we vote for what we like. Democracy at it's best :biggrin.:

If you wanted to judge what was 'definitive mini of the year', you wouldn't ask a bunch of people on the internet who most likely struggle to choose dinner tomorrow.  :thumbsup: 

Looks like I completely missed the voting period for this, but for me, the GSC wins hands down for GWs best new stuff with the Abominant taking first place for my favorite GW mini of the year. It's amazing to me how the GSC stuff has a very defining characteristic look to it, but at the same time they're extremely useful for conversions to make something look completely different. 

The part that amazes me is that they look exactly how I remember the original Genestealer cult models to look yet I know they are far, far better sculpts from a technical point of view. I actually have to bring up the old models to compare how far GW have come with their sculpts.

Hmm, I was out of the loop forca lot of 2018 but the Noise Marine certainly stood out from 40k with its old school, yes modernised character.

But there is no denying that the AoS models have really upped their game as well.

Cambrius

I have built both, and I can tell you that Morathi is an incredible piece of sculpting and design. The way she goes together is incredible and a superb piece of engineering. The Noise marine is a marine with a guitar...

Eh, I dunno - for all the impressive engineering, I don't think the Morathi figure really sells itself all that well. It's definitely big and impressively wrought, but something about it feels too posed and artificial for my tastes. The Noise Marine, by comparison, is brimming with life from every angle. As others have noted, it could just be the paint jobs, and I haven't seen either of these models in person yet, but that's what I can say from what I've seen so far.

Tho, really, if people want to see a jaw-dropping piece of engineering, get ahold of an Ork Snazzwagon. I've had one sitting 2/3rds built on my desk for like a week now just so I can pick it up and marvel at the way it goes together.

Take off the paint scheme and the noise Marine is rather plain in my opinion. It has the crazy mohawk, and guitar that the only thing that really stands out. Compare that to the new DG and all the guts/decay/belly plates are so much more unique.

It's still a good model, but I don't think it's too deserving. Especially when compared to GUO and Morathi.

The Noise marine is something that 40k doesn't have a lot of right now. There's a lot of disgusting, feculant models and large, crazy intimidating monsters.

The Noise marine is a light hearted, fun model.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it's a great model and it's probably the direction that GW could/should take slaanesh stuff to make the game SLIGHTLY more young-player-friendly - make it freaking cool rock and roll marines and rock and roll women daemons - you'd have a good mix of the absurdity that makes 40k fun with the option to make it darker/more extreme, but it wouldn't just be the default thing that "young mother of little jimmy sees on display in the GW section".

Archived