Renegade Knight Household WIP: Knight Despoiler

Sgt. Blank

Thanks Mechanist! Your Khornate Knight is a huge source of inspiration. The sculpting I'm doing isn't as ambitious or extensive but watching you build up the layers was very educational.

I'm glad you like it. The thing is your going to have a household in the time I've not finished one model and can then go to town if you want a show piece among them later.

Seeing what people are doing on a smaller scale is helping me work out how to approach the rest of the household without spending 4 years on each one. Also I want my daemonic Knights to really stand out from those in my household with a more 'normal' Pilot arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

I know where you're coming from - it's tough to balance getting it just the way you want versus a budget for time and expenses.

I've been making some steady progress on this since the last post.

Here's the carapace and head assembled:

rIqDD2p.jpg?1

iy9AKlk.jpg

And the view from above, similar to how it will look on the table:

5XMQZQP.jpg?1

Shoulder pads

PLHTPgG.jpg?1

Thunderstrike gauntlet. Maybe a bit hard to tell, but the rams above the elbow were missing from the kit I got off ebay and were replaced with Bloodthrone bits. Not particularly flashy, honestly, but was a necessary but time consuming fix I hadn't planned on.

2WEKFop.jpg?1

iAGH0lG.jpg?1

And, because I apparently like to make things difficult for myself, I couldn't resist messing with the feet:

http://i.imgur.com/pLG94XP.jpg?1

Things are coming along - I think, feedbackis welcome. I'm pretty sure the Thunderstrike Gauntlet arm is done at this point and the upper carapace nearly is - it may get a couple more trophies but most of the green stuff is done. Shoulder pads need more work on the trim and the spikes on the interior corners. 

I've got a ways to go yet on the legs, the feet need a couple more layers to close the holes I made while re-positioning the toes - and some green stuff claws to give it a bit of a therapod vibe. Hoping to have it done by the end of the month to add to ETL, we'll see. 

I also started work on the paint for the Helverin for my ETL vow, but it's just base costs at this point.

Any comments or suggestions are most welcome - thanks for looking.

Your signs of Chaos-taint and symbols of devotion are well done. Sadly, I doubt Khorne gives a damn about your efforts to honor him via your Chaos Knight.

Thanks Bjorn. Very true. I don't have much show for the cuts and pokes on spikey bits over the years. Khorne cares not.

I love the work on this Knight. It looks so cool

Thanks Gederas! I'm pleased so far and appreciate the positive feedback

That is some absolutely phenomenal conversion work on the Knight! Such great detailing, and the additions to the carapace are just wonderful. I wonder if anything could be done to make they "eyeslit" on the facemask appear even more evil/Khornate?!

Anyway, keep up the fantastic work! :)

That is some absolutely phenomenal conversion work on the Knight! Such great detailing, and the additions to the carapace are just wonderful. I wonder if anything could be done to make they "eyeslit" on the facemask appear even more evil/Khornate?!

Anyway, keep up the fantastic work! :smile.:

Thanks K Sci, glad you like it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the eyeslit, honestly. I'd debated horns or an etched brass Khorne symbol but so far decided against it due to the limit space available under the "cowl" piece which holds the head.

I've seen some people do battle damage to the face plate - I've tried this before on smaller models and have been disappointed with the results, so I'm not very keen to try it here. Maybe I'm missing what you're suggesting though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, except for the groin armor, tilt shield and stubber, I think the build is done.

0Tfhts7.jpg?1

The pose isn't close to final, the whole thing is held together with blue tac and will be painted in (lots) of subassemblies. Not my best photography either but it at least gives a general idea. 

C&C welcome - some of the parts will probably get primed tomorrow unless someone spots an issue I haven't or has a suggestion about something that can be improved.

Thanks for looking!

Fantastic! :eek:

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the eyeslit, honestly. I'd debated horns or an etched brass Khorne symbol but so far decided against it due to the limit space available under the "cowl" piece which holds the head.

I've seen some people do battle damage to the face plate - I've tried this before on smaller models and have been disappointed with the results, so I'm not very keen to try it here. Maybe I'm missing what you're suggesting though.

I was merely referring to the option of maybe tweaking the shape of the visor directly over the Knight's "eyes", making for a more evil-looking >< look instead of the somewhat expressionless straight eyeslit that's on the mask now.

But seriously, even if you just start painting right away, this is going to be one fantastic Renegade Knight! Brilliant work! :)

Really awesome looking knight, I´m already impatent to see it finished :wink:

The only part that maybe needs a bit of additional love would be the back of the left hand. For me it just seems like the ornament looks a bit too much just stuck on top of it, but maybe i need a bit more angles to say that for certain.

That is one sexy knight, can't wait to see it painted.

Thanks! I'm interested to see how it looks painted as well.

That's one sweet Knight. The combination of greenstuff and plastic bits for the corruption works really well and I'm eager to see it painted up. One that note Have you Vowed for the ETL? cough Chaos Marines forum cough cough...

Thanks! I'm more comfortable converting than doing things completely from scratch - this is the most ambitious sculpting project I've ever tried by a pretty wide margin. 

As far as ETL, I've already pledged the Hellverin on page 1 to the CSM forum and will be adding this one shortly - I primed most of the parts this afternoon since I'm not sure if that critical nexus of moderate temperature and low humidity be available again until the fall. I'm more than half through the helverin already so I feel reasonably confident I can take the Knight down by September as well.

Fantastic! :eek:

I was merely referring to the option of maybe tweaking the shape of the visor directly over the Knight's "eyes", making for a more evil-looking >< look instead of the somewhat expressionless straight eyeslit that's on the mask now.

But seriously, even if you just start painting right away, this is going to be one fantastic Renegade Knight! Brilliant work! :smile.:

First - thanks for the kind words and encouragement as well as the suggestions. I think I understand what you're suggesting - to give the face plate an expression, basically - I hadn't thought of that and was thinking of it as a faceplate with the real monster behind it. Given all the other alterations to armor pieces, I'm not sure why that didn't occur to me. The head is probably the last bit I'll paint, so I'll give this some thought.

Really awesome looking knight, I´m already impatent to see it finished :wink:

The only part that maybe needs a bit of additional love would be the back of the left hand. For me it just seems like the ornament looks a bit too much just stuck on top of it, but maybe i need a bit more angles to say that for certain.

Thanks - I'm excited to start painting it after all the build work. I spent a lot of time looking at that same hand - I can't quite tell if I've done enough or if I add more, it will be too much. I'm going to throw some paint at it and see how I feel, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

With the new Codex dropping, I'm trying to get this force ready to game with. I keep stuff in subassemblies to paint, which helps with all the mechanical detail under the armor plates, but it basically keeps me from using things until they're more or less fully painted.

With that in mind, here's the Hellverin - now a War Dog, apparently - all painted up (first ETL vow completed!)

5CbGmjs.jpg?1

raWuxyZ.jpg?1

7LQrlnA.jpg?1

Overall, pretty pleased with how it came out. I think it's close enough to the other one I did to look like a squadron but unique enough to be an individual. Hope you like it, I'd welcome any comments and critiques.

• 1 month later...

Ugh been a while since I posted anything here but - the Knight is done - just in time for ETL too.

zPMn0dO.jpg?1

Other photos didn't come as well as I'd hoped and I'll try to snap some more shots when the sun is up but here's the end result.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to switch the right arm on this one with the left arm on the Knight on page 1 to get a Rampager and Dual Avenger knights, so he may have a different kit shortly.

I'd welcome any comments or feedback. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the result - this is by far the most sculpting I've ever done and I feel like it looks pretty well integrated with the paint on. Paint-wise, it looks more or less how I'd imagined it when I was building it, so I can't really ask for more than that.

The main surprise was the tabard, which wasn't even finished construction when I pledged this for ETL. In the past, that's been my downfall but I think it came together well and, thanks to a lot of Micro-sol and Microset, he even has some personal iconography. I also tried contrast paint on the face region and can see using it more in the future.

Thanks for the kind words.

As far as expanding further, I had enough fun with this one that I think I'll do at least one more. I'm thinking dual battle cannons with missile pod, another Despoiler chassis or one of the new chassis with.different arms. I've also go another war glance on sprue that I'm going to build soonish.

I'll try to snap some more shots when the sun is up

Please do it's looking good so far but lighting is making the paint job look a little flat thanks to the glare.

When you do I think we need some group shots of your household so far as they are shaping up fantastically.

Good job

Thanks for the kind words, it's very encouraging. I'll try to get a group shot this weekend with natural light, perhaps a long with some of the other units I've finished. I'm hoping to use the newly finished knight in a game soon and will try to get pictures before it gets blasted off the table. Edited by Sgt. Blank

Ok, here are some pictures of the household thus far with natural lighting

First, the most recent knight, equipped as a Rampager:

mBoNN2x.jpg?1

Wardog with Auto-Cannons

E5PYEjh.jpg?1

Wardog with Auto-Cannons

MHgzRui.jpg?1

Wardog with Thermal Spear and Chain Glaive

XX8OzQO.jpg?1

Dual Avenger Knight

kmSXHib.jpg

Army shot:

0BOEjdX.jpg?1

rTu1DPX.jpg?1

Any C&C much appreciated.

Next up will be a Despoiler with twin rapid-fire battlecannons and missile rack - I was a bit surprised to get a good deal on a new Gallant kit off ebay and will start sooner than I expected. I've got most of the parts and green stuff I expect to need, including spare cannons from the previous Knights. I have a spare set of armor plates as well, so i may not wait on the mail to get started in earnest.

Beyond various Khorne bits, I'm planning to cannibalize a Venomcrawler and integrating some 2nd ed. Whirlwind rocket pods into the carapace to save the standard missile rack as an option for the dual Avenger.

I'm debating about whether or not to shell out for Skull Cannons to use as battle cannons - can't decide if that would be awesome or too much and the bits aren't very cheap currently.