Renegade Knight Household WIP: Knight Despoiler

Sgt. Blank

Dude! That looks amazing, super cool. Are the icons pressmolds or sculpted on? They look vaugely familiar.

Can't wait to see it painted:)

Edit: I quite like how it's not super busy, alot of chaos knights are a bit cluttered, but not this one

Thanks ElDude!

I'll admit, the level of detail is partly laziness and partly aesthetic. I realize not everyone feels this way but I actually like the general look of the Acheron, so I wasn't as set on changing it massively as I was on the last couple Knights Despoiler (Knight Despoilers?) I did. I doubt I'll do another one of these ever so there's less issue of repeating myself than there was for those two builds also.

I wanted the crest from the Venomcrawler to be the focal point, so that simplified the shoulders and carapace. The kit offers a ton of flexibility to assemble (maybe too much), but it's feasible to build details onto the armor plates that will block certain poses - I focused more on pose and then worked in details that fit and were (hopefully) resonant with the reset of the army.

To answer your question, the icons come from a couple sources. The shoulder icons are press molded from the Bloodthirster's 2 handed axe blade - I made molds of both sides of the axe to get a complete symbol; the two halves were then attached to the model and the resulting gaps were filled. In hind sight, not sure this was actually a better method than sculpting from scratch or using a plastic part. I let the green stuff partially cure so it was solild but still somewhat flexible, so it was easier to fit than plastic would have been but there was a ton of excess to trim off. Ultimately, it did create a new version of the icon I hadn't used elsewhere in the army.

The groin plate (cod piece?) also has a press molded symbol, from the 2nd ed. juggernaut kit. Trying to avoid too many crotch faces so I didn't want to use a skull here. The last symbol (chest) is cut from the Blood Warriors banner guy (dunno proper name, don't play AoS) and bent to fit. I'd originally intended this for a shoulder but thought the proportion of the taller symbol was more interesting.

Thanks Mechanist!

I appreciate the suggestion. After stalling on this for months, I decided to leave well enough alone and call the build complete. I primed it shortly after the last set of photos. Where I live, it gets very humid in the summer and I don't want to risk ruining it.