Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Renegade Knighthold WIP: Renegade Knight

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

I Am Forsaken

I Am Forsaken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

I put a skull cannon barrel on a knight conversion years ago now, but I was never really happy with it as it came out far shorter than the battle cannon. I think they may be better suited to be the laser destructor from the chaos knight kit now, but I'd be keen to see what you come up with if you go that route. All your knights look awesome btw, keep up the great work.

• Sgt. Blank likes this

"We are Forsaken, we will slaughter anyone who stands in our way." Banshee Queen Sylvanas Windrunner.

Crimson Slaughter pLog http://www.bolterand...thout-laughter/

gallery_48988_15465_30046.pnggallery_48988_15465_38917.png

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,782 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on the Knights of Khorne.
  • Sgt. Blank likes this

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,495 posts

Khorne will be most pleased with this with the skulls reaped by this household ... absolutely amazing work all round, from the conversion to the painting!! 

• Sgt. Blank likes this

Sgt. Blank

Sgt. Blank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 606 posts

I put a skull cannon barrel on a knight conversion years ago now, but I was never really happy with it as it came out far shorter than the battle cannon. I think they may be better suited to be the laser destructor from the chaos knight kit now, but I'd be keen to see what you come up with if you go that route. All your knights look awesome btw, keep up the great work.

Thanks for the feedback about the skull cannon bit - I'd be curious to see how it looks if you have a photo - I figured someone had done this before but can't find a picture. Honestly, from looking at pictures of the kit, I was a bit nervous it might be too big, so the insight into the scale is really helpful.

Excellent work on the Knights of Khorne.

Thanks Bjorn!

Khorne will be most pleased with this with the skulls reaped by this household ... absolutely amazing work all round, from the conversion to the painting!! 

Thanks Sagentus! That was the first time I'd seen them all together myself and I'm pretty pleased myself.

gallery_29004_12090_2245.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_4603.pngqVQuHsg.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.png

I Am Forsaken

I Am Forsaken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

Dug it out for you and snapped a quick one, turns out it is not as much shorter as I remembered it being. Also forget my thought about the laser destructor as it is actually bigger than both of them...., I also included a pre built thermal cannon I had laying around for scale if that helps.

r4cF42S.jpg

Edited by I Am Forsaken, 03 September 2019 - 11:01 AM.

• Sgt. Blank likes this

"We are Forsaken, we will slaughter anyone who stands in our way." Banshee Queen Sylvanas Windrunner.

Sgt. Blank

Sgt. Blank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 606 posts
Thanks, Forsaken, that's a really helpful photo.

I'm not quite sure what I am going to do yet, but I think the way you cut it, the scale concern looks good; the difference pretty negligible. I guess the standard cannon may look longer since its narrow and less crowded with details.
  • I Am Forsaken likes this

gallery_29004_12090_2245.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_4603.pngqVQuHsg.pnggallery_48988_10069_14888.png

Sgt. Blank

Sgt. Blank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 606 posts

It's been a little while since the last post here - part of that was just relaxing a bit after the ETL but part was due to working on some Khorne Berzerkers - or as my daughter calls them, the evil robot's minions.

Since the actual Berzerker kit is old enough to be a Veteran of the Long War itself, I converted and kitbashed from the Shadowspear CSM and the AoS Bloodbound starter set to get more chain axe - chain sword models. I've finished six so far with another six to go - here they are. The main notable conversion is the lower legs on the Bloodbound, since I used green stuff to make solid power armor greaves over the original boots. These six are finished and i've color blocked another six.

aZ9Rhgr.jpg?1

I have started work on the next Knight Despoiler as well - part of the delay since the last post was waiting on shipping for parts. Thanks to Forsaken's post, I pulled the trigger and bought two Skull Cannons - one job lot of a partial kit that I'm tearing down for parts (more on that later, probably) and one just the cannon itself. 

After getting my hands on the part, I decided it needed to look more like a battle cannon so I started cutting

JL25ytO.jpg?1

f6rV9JL.jpg?1

to make this:

p2j6Wjl.jpg?1

Yes, I cut up two Skull Cannons and Rapid Fire Battle Cannon gun barrels and only briefly regretted it. With the proper application of various tools, the battle cannon barrel can be made to fit inside the skull cannon (except for the Chaos star end, which I left off).

The Skull Cannon pictured was from the job lot and was already assembled when I got it off ebay while the other not yet glued. I tried this two ways - cutting in from the end on the assembled one and gutting the interior of the unassembled. I had more success with the end-on approach, since there's a lot of material to remove and I could use a power drill to do it faster SAFETY NOTE: drills will melt plastic if not used sparingly - aside from ruining your parts, it's not good to breath in the fumes.

I also tried rotating it 90 degrees so that the sloping part faces outward instead of top-ward

6B2A2LU.jpg?1

Nothing is glued yet, but I'm leaning toward that configuration since you can see more of the details that way and, as tall as it is compared to most other units, it ought to be more protected from that angle than from above. I'd appreciate some feedback though before I slap green stuff on and try to blend the parts in a bit.

I'm also subbiing in the Venomcrawler cannons for the stubbers on the weapon mounts.

G7wZgrH.jpg?2

Lastly, I also started on the upper carapace. I figured I'd play up the hunchback shape of the model by adding a different missile system - I had a 2nd ed. Whirlwind launcher sitting in my bitz box so it got a visit from the hacksaw and the launchers are now part of the Knight.

N0eGT8K.jpg?1

This is far from finished - I'm planning to cover launcher tubes with green stuff but hopefully you get the idea. The Venomcrawler spine bit is held on with poster tack but approximates what I'm intending once the launcher GS is done.

Thanks for looking - comments and critiques are very welcome.

Edited by Sgt. Blank, 10 October 2019 - 12:49 AM.

• DuskRaider and I Am Forsaken like this

I Am Forsaken

I Am Forsaken

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 47 posts

battle cannon came out pretty good, i like what you've done with the normal barrell coming out the end better than what i did for it

• Sgt. Blank likes this

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,221 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
That cannon is the cat's meow. I LOVE the idea of using the Venomcrawler's back spine on a Knight carapace... hmmm... I may nick that idea, lol. Not too sure on the Missile Rack though. IMO it makes the carapace a little too busy. I'm sure you'll make it work.
  • Sgt. Blank likes this

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

ElDuderino

ElDuderino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 956 posts
I love the latest finished knight! Very nice detailing on the front of the top carapace. The AoS shields works great on the thigh armor too.

And adding the smooth barrel to the skull cannon was a good move, looks more like a battle cannon that way
  • Sgt. Blank likes this

Sgt. Blank

Sgt. Blank

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 606 posts

battle cannon came out pretty good, i like what you've done with the normal barrell coming out the end better than what i did for it

Thanks - don't be too hard on your version though, it looks pretty good. Your comment about it looking short is kind of what gave me the idea - I think the width of the skull cannon may make it look shorter than it is so I figured i'd lengthen it somehow to compensate.

That cannon is the cat's meow. I LOVE the idea of using the Venomcrawler's back spine on a Knight carapace... hmmm... I may nick that idea, lol. Not too sure on the Missile Rack though. IMO it makes the carapace a little too busy. I'm sure you'll make it work.

Thanks  Dusk! Initially I'd thought of doing only one along the central spine with the Venomcrawler spine on top but after staring at the parts awhile I decided I liked this better. I do have a spare upper carapace if I didn't use on the knight on the first page, so worst case scenario I go with that. Honestly. your conversions are part of what pushed me in the direction of adding to the upper carapace, so I appreciate the feedback.

I love the latest finished knight! Very nice detailing on the front of the top carapace. The AoS shields works great on the thigh armor too.

And adding the smooth barrel to the skull cannon was a good move, looks more like a battle cannon that way

Thanks! It's a mix of green stuff and bitz on the front of the other one - I'm try something similar on this one but need to sort out the missile rack first I think. The AoS bits on the legs are actually the punch dagger type weapons from the bloodbound warriors kit. I had a lot spare from the Berzerker conversions.

• I Am Forsaken likes this

ElDuderino

ElDuderino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 956 posts
Oh, I thought those were just spiky shields. Which makes no sense since they're so small, now that I think about it:D I have a bunch in the bitz box too, they're great for spicing up flat areas on vehicles and such.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users