Stormboyz unit sizes

bushman101

hey,

I'm building my unit of Stormboyz. How many do you tend to run in a unit?

I know they go up 30 man units but is that practical for trying to DS?

If it needs to be stated, I'm basing the unit on the new 32 mm bases.....they were way too top heavy for the old 25s.

Thanks

I tend to go with units of 30, though admittedly I also own the old Pewter 3rd edition Stormboyz so they're all on the original bases they came with, as for the 32mm bases you may be pressed for space if you play on heavy terrain boards and it would make it harder to do deep strikes in your opponents backfield if they're a savvy player.

Personally, I'm not enamored with deepstriking Stormboyz. I like that they got the ability, but in my mind it's got a niche use, for situations where you wouldn't just want them rushing up the table. If deepstriking is the way to go, kommandos are the way to go, in my opinion. That said, I do like Stormboyz because they can be across the table in a turn, in a similar spot to a Da Jump'd unit.

With that in mind, size 30, so you can absorb casualties and control the board.

Also, I use washers under my bases, and have 0 problem with anything standing up on 25s.

I'm following this with interest.

I've not plyed a game with my Orks yet, but as I'm building a Blood Axe Klan, I'm interested to see how others run their Stormboys. 

I'm thinking 2 squads of 20 will be my aim, weather I deepstrike them or not is another thing as I like the idea of getting +4 saves in cover with the Blood Axe Kulture. 

so far I've been running 10 in a unit, DSing in the back field to charge a soft/shooty unit. They usually kill the unit they charge and then die the next turn.

I just bought another box and gonna try 15 in a unit. Gonna see if they are more survivable or if they have DS landing issues

• 3 weeks later...
Run a couple 10x stormboy units as feelers. Keep a 30x stormboy unit in deepstrike. When you can get one of the ten man units close enough to make an easy charge, drop the 30x unit 9" away from The enemy but within mob up range of the smaller stormboy unit. Make an easy charge with 40 stormboys and slay and/or hug for the win.

can you mob up into a unit larger than quoted in the codex? (meaning a unit of Stormboyz can only be taken in units of 30 max, but you can mob up in groups larger than this)

Yes. Theoretically, if you never took any casualties, you could have a 100-stormboy mob by the end of turn 7.

Archived