Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspirational Friday 2019: Blessings and Boons (Dec 27)

Inspirational Friday Inspirational Friday 2019

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

RobWrath

RobWrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts

That's all I needed to hear. One more week will be added to our deadline.

Thanks. I've written mind in my head. Just got to type it out.

RobWrath

RobWrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts

Ok, here's mine. I've approached the theme slightly backwards, but hopefully it will make sense once people had read it through!

I'm going to call it:

The Blessing of Khorne

Spoiler

• Scourged likes this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

My own little submission before time runs out.

All Seeing

Hidden Content

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Tordeck

Tordeck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts

A writer I am not and any one who read my last submission can attest to that. So with the perspective of a picture is worth a thousand words I submit to you a creature that has surely been cursed by the gods.

Spoiler

• Scourged likes this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

gXTkv29.png?1

Thank you for all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2019: Cursed by the Gods

Kierdale was first with Ennui. This tale gave us two gifts: first, we were given a glimpse into the fall of the Stygian Guard into the rise of the Psychopomps, and second we were privy to the fickle nature of the Dark Prince. What happens when you fall out of favor in his/her/their eyes? Ennui is the answer.

RobWrath was next with The Blessing of Khorne. We follow the life of Gregori, a Khornate hiver who finds himself quickly in the service of a Chaos warband. He is quick to devote himself to the cause, but learns soon enough that it is a very thin line that separates blessing from curse.

I provided us with All Seeing. Tzeentch has never been known to be very forthright with his blessings, perhaps the most fickle of the Gods. Yet that does not stop devout aspirants from seeking his favor. In my story, we see what happens to just one of those ambitious souls seeking to earn favor.

The final submission from tordeck was not one of words, but of images. The cursed being in those picts surely serves as an inspiration in its own way, worth far more than a paltry thousand words. Perhaps, in time, you’ll grace us all with the prose to match this foul being!

It’s a shame we didn’t get an entry for the Plague Father before the deadline called. It’s always fun when we all inadvertently conspire to make offerings to the full Pantheon. Perhaps next time!

I hereby close that topic but if anyone has more stories on that theme, at any time, please post them here with a suitable title.

And so begins our second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: Infernal Machines

I believe it’s safe to assume that we’re all abuzz with excitement after the LVO reveal a few days ago. So many new gifts to Chaos, but perhaps none more exciting (at least to me) than the Venoncrawler. Daemon engines are such a unique and terrifying element within our warbands’ arsenals, and they are what help separate us from our loyalist kin. For this challenge, we shall pay tribute to the daemon engines. Their monstrous form is birthed of electricity and metal deep within the Hell-Forges. Summoners and Warpsmiths work in tandem to pluck a daemon from the Warp and seal it within the rune-inscribed hulk. The Neverborn within detests this forced existence and lashes its anger out at all within reach. We use these tormented beings as weapons, unleashing them into the galaxy to reap a bloody vengeance. They are the daemon engines.

There are so many breeds of infernal machines out there, my brothers. Perhaps none are as iconic as the Defiler, birthed as a gift to the First Black crusade. So often the engines are bestial in nature, rampaging on the ground like the Maulerfiend and Forgefiend, or terrorizing the skies like the Heldrake. And other times they are almost like living shrines to the gods, such as the mighty Khorne Lord of Skulls. But there are so many more… I personally have a soft spot for the Decimator, but I urge you all to explore the old, forgotten lore of this hobby and learn of many more daemon engines since forgotten to time. Or perhaps your warband has forged a pact with a Heretek to develop something new. You have given the dark artisans free rein to create, and from their machinations you do not know what will be brought. But all we know is that it will be unlike any before it, yet just as eager to kill.

IF2019: Infernal Machines runs until the 23rd of February.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge, the winner of our last challenge, RobWrath

The winner of IF2019: Infernal Machines shall claim the Octed amulet:

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

And the honor of judging the next challenge.

Let us be inspired.

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
I haaate Nurgle. The philosophy behind it and it's followers just depresses me. And much like how I'm squicked by the blood angels vampires, I'm squicked by zombie space marines.

I was tinkering with writing about the last of the Siege Dancers, a not cocaine, snorting former space wolf hiding out in a Warband on the other side of the Maledictum...but it was a little Snuffy, sex slaves, a massive and excessive quest to feel leading to more and more depraved acts...not good things, I didn't want to continue it. The Siege Dancers were Snuffy enough before the Nightblades killed them on the Warmasters Permission/order.

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Tordeck

Tordeck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts
Technically speaking my spawn was specifically built to run in a DG list so Nurgle has been represented.
  • Scourged likes this

RobWrath

RobWrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts
I'm busy laying a floor this weekend, I'd like to take my time to read both entries really properly before deciding.

I enjoyed yours when I read it through quickly Scourged, interesting we both approached the subject from the same angle: the deceptive and capricious nature of Chaos.

Thanks again for keeping this running.
  • Scourged likes this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Thanks, RobWrath! I think that's one of the big draws to Chaos - the irony of servitude. The whole thing has a monkey's paw or malicious djinni vibe to it all, which can make for great stories of tragedy. I mean, look no further than Magnus for such a thing. 

And don't worry about the timing. Make your decision whenever you've got the time to do so. 

RobWrath

RobWrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts

I have re-read both other entries a few times now and I'm finding it very hard to pick; I really like both; the horror and the darkness comes from both very strongly.

But...there has to be a winner and I'm going to give it to Scourged this time. I liked the way the vignette unfolded and description of the ritual.

But they were both great.

• Kierdale and Scourged like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,705 posts
“Both”? I hope mine didn’t get forgotten on page one! :( :D

RobWrath

RobWrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts

“Both”? I hope mine didn’t get forgotten on page one! sad.pngbiggrin.png

Kierdale, of course! You and Scourged were who I meant.

I didn't include my own in the judging. 

But yours was really enjoyable. In a sort of, despair and horror sort of way.

• Kierdale likes this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,705 posts
More despair and horror...

Bastard Contraption
Hidden Content

I really must finish this model :D
  • Scourged and RobWrath like this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,150 posts

Might as well:

AWAKEN

Spoiler

• Tordeck, Scourged and RobWrath like this

RobWrath

RobWrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 211 posts

Ok, I had a moment of inspiration and scribbled something. 

The Death of a Space Marine

Spoiler

• Scourged likes this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

gXTkv29.png?1'

Thank you for all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2019: Infernal Machines

Kierdale was first with gifted us with Bastard Contraption. We’re aboard an Aeldari cruiser, witness to their haughty confidence with void battle. But there is a surprise waiting for the Craftworlders, and corrupted Drop Pods are unleashed as weapons upon the Xenos craft. It’s nice to see the Dreadclaws get some love.

Gederas stirred us to consciousness with Awaken. In it, we see a side of the World Eaters that does not (in my opinion) get enough attention - the remains of the Legion that aren’t Berzerkers. We watch as an Inquisitor and others wait helpless until their doom arrives, heralded by Warpsmith Khrogar. Also, quite a nice touch with the musical accompaniment.

RobWrath finished our trilogy of tales with The Death of a Space Marine. For our loyalist brethren, they adhere to the credo that “even in death I still serve.” But Chaos has corrupted this philosophy as well, and RobWrath showed us what happens when a Chaos Marine falls.

I had something fun planned, involving my favorite engine and my favorite rule they had back in 7th Edition, but I could not quite get it put to the page in time for the deadline. I’ll have it for you all as a later entry this weekend.

I hereby close that topic but if anyone has more stories on that theme, at any time, please post them here with a suitable title.

And so begins our second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: Glory to the Warmaster

Ten days. At the time of my writing today, ten days remain until the Warmaster’s arrival on Vigilus. My Dark Brothers, the planet will fall, and He shall bring its doom. Let there be all glory to the Warmaster!

...but not all are as quick to give praise to Abaddon the Despoiler so easily. Each warband, each Legion, and each individual Lord has formed their own opinions of the Warmaster. Some serve to bring his grand plans to life. Others begrudgingly follow to avoid persecution. And others detest the failure and his Crusades. We all have our own opinions, and now is the time to share them. To you, who is Abaddon the Despoiler?

In this new challenge, show us all what happens when you’re cursed by the Gods.

IF2019: Glory to the Warmaster runs until the 8th of March.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge, the winner of our last challenge: me!

The winner of IF2019: Cursed by the Gods shall claim the Octed amulet:

And the honor of judging the next challenge.

Let us be inspired.

Edited by Scourged, 23 February 2019 - 07:19 PM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Oh, and as for my decisions... well, as always, you folks never make this easy on me. But I do know what my choice will be. Kierdale, what I'm about to say I mean to be a compliment to your work: the description of those drop pods and how they... consumed that Aeldari ship were vivid and unsettling. Excessively so. I enjoyed all of the pieces this week, but yours is the one where the Daemon Engines made me feel uncomfortable. Bravo. You have earned the octed, my friend. 

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,705 posts
Thank you!
I’m glad to hear my possessed drop pod was sufficiently creepy :D

And I look forward to hearing everyone’s tales about the Despoiler and their warband’s opinion of/relations with him. I hope for a range of tales.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
The day has come! The Warmaster has arrived! It is only a matter of time before Vigilus burns and naught but dust and ash remains. Are there no heralds here to speak of his glory? Or detractors to denounce his victories? 

Are we in need of more time to collect our thoughts, or shall the Friday deadline remain to spread the word of the Despoiler? 

• Kierdale likes this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,150 posts
The day has come! The Warmaster has arrived! It is only a matter of time before Vigilus burns and naught but dust and ash remains. Are there no heralds here to speak of his glory? Or detractors to denounce his victories? 

Are we in need of more time to collect our thoughts, or shall the Friday deadline remain to spread the word of the Despoiler?

I've been racking my brain for ideas, but I think an extra week would help the ideas percolate a bit better for me.

• Trevak Dal likes this

AHorriblePerson

AHorriblePerson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 472 posts
  • Faction: Various

I wanna try and come up with a few words aswell and would appreciate a couple of extra days.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
That's all the convincing I need. We will add another week to the deadline. Let us do the Warmaster proud.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,705 posts
Quid Pro Quo

Hidden Content

• Scourged likes this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

gXTkv29.png?1

Thank you for all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2019: Glory to the Warmaster

Kierdale was our only entrant this round, providing us Quid Pro Quo. The Warmaster has sent a messenger, with an offer. As with all of us who reside in the Warp, knowledge is never exchanged freely, and no task is without a price. Though it takes the most dire of circumstances, the truth of the offer is finally presented to the Psychopomps, and a bargain is struck

It is a shame that none of us (myself included) were able to put pen to the paper and scry our praise of Abaddon the Despoiler. I’m sure such failings will result in no unfortunate circumstances for our warbands as the Long War rages on…

And so begins our second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: The Enemy Reborn

It truly has been a Long War, hasn’t it my Brothers in Darkness? Ten thousand years have passed since the Siege, even though it feels like yesterday for so many of us. But in that time, so little has changed. We have watched - with some satisfaction, I might add - as the Imperium stagnated and stalled, succumbing to the slowest of deaths in a way that would make Father Nurgle proud. No innovation, no change, no progress, until entropy would have finally claimed it. In this longest of wars, we would have won.

But everything changed on that day when Cadia fell. Just as we broke our way through and severed the galaxy in half, something stirred within the Imperium. In the century that has passed, we have all seen something none of us could have anticipated from our loyalist kin: Innovation. The Primaris Marines have appeared as if from nowhere, and they are swelling the ranks of the once-dwindling Astartes. Their bodies and minds are stronger, their armor is new and various, their weapons more deadly, and their tactics… well, one has to wonder if they still adhere to their dogmatic Codex at all anymore.

Tell us all of your encounters with the new Primaris. How have you and your warbands reacted to this development. Do you relish the new challenges these warriors provide? Are your chirurgeons and flesh-smiths eager to flay them open and explore this new biology? Do you covet their new and variable weaponry? Do you desire to outwit and outmaneuver their new tactics to prove your superiority? Or do you care not for this development - a fruitless last gasp for a dying Imperiuim?

In this week’s challenge, tell us all how you and yours have reacted to the arrival of the Primaris Marines.

IF2019: The Enemy Reborn runs until the 29th of March.

And who shall judge this new challenge? As per the traditions of this thread, since no other offerings were made for the previous topic, Kierdale will remain the judge. He will select the champion of our newest topic, and present them with the coveted Octed:

Let us be inspired.

Edited by Scourged, 17 March 2019 - 04:00 PM.

• Kierdale and MyD4rkPassenger like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,705 posts
Perhaps the Warmaster is too big a figure to write about easily? I certainly found it daunting :D and decided to feature one of his pawns instead. Hopefully I got across the loyalty he commands of his followers, which surprised my own chaos lord (doubtful many of the Psychopomps would show as much loyalty as that Black Legionnaire did).

I look forward to reading entries of Chaos versus the Primaris :tu:
  • Scourged likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inspirational Friday, Inspirational Friday 2019

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users