Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspirational Friday 2019: Blessings and Boons (Dec 27)

Inspirational Friday Inspirational Friday 2019

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,711 posts
Sorry, can we have another week?

I’ve got something, the kernel of it, but need more time.

For research purposes, no Primaris have turns to Chaos yet (officially), right? Are they supposed to be better mentally conditioned against it or anything like that?

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,297 posts

Sorry, can we have another week?

I’ve got something, the kernel of it, but need more time.

For research purposes, no Primaris have turns to Chaos yet (officially), right? Are they supposed to be better mentally conditioned against it or anything like that?

Pretty much, yeah. The other implication is that the Primaris are just too new, technically, to have fallen. Iirc, the Dark Imperium/Plague War novels have Primaris marines being affected by Nurgle shenanigans just as easily as the non-Primaris.

• Kierdale likes this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

Oh yeah, I was going to add another week to this for sure. I just haven't had the chance to make the declaration. I'm in the midst of Adepticon this weekend, and I figured others would be in same or similar boats, so we'll for sure be adding another week. 

I'm going to be in the Team Tournament tomorrow morning, though sadly not with my beloved Heretics. All of the friends in my group, and I'm the only Chaos player. The tragedy! 

• Kierdale likes this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,711 posts
A Discovery
Hidden Content

• Akylas and Scourged like this

Doom Herald

Doom Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 725 posts
The Prey

Hidden Content

Edited by Doom Herald, 06 April 2019 - 05:16 AM.

• Akylas, Kierdale and Scourged like this

Doom Herald

Doom Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 725 posts
There's more to mine, but it apparently didn't all paste and now my browser is crashing when I try to paste. I'm sorry.

Edit: It finally worked, I don't know what the deal was, that was bizarre.

Edited by Doom Herald, 06 April 2019 - 05:20 AM.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

gXTkv29.png?1

Thank you for all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2019: The Enemy Reborn

Kierdale was first with A Discovery. What we read was a good clinical examination of the differing Primaris physiology, straight from the chirurgeon’s serpentine mouth. Though, in truth, the session was just as much of a torture session as it was an autopsy… but what else would we expect from the servants of the Dark Prince?

Doom Herald gave us a buzzer-beater with The Prey. All of the physiological changes in the world don’t matter unless they prove useful on the battlefield. And to the Gheist Lords, sons of the Crimson Slaughter, the new Primaris were found wanting. After all, as Astartes by any other name is still just prey.

I hereby close that topic but if anyone has more stories on that theme, at any time, please post them here with a suitable title.

And so begins our second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: Crown of Horns

Each of us looks upon Chaos in a different way. For many it is a tool, but for many more it is the truth of life, it is a religion unto itself. The Gods are real, and our lives are at the mercy of their whims. In this world of darkness and ill portents, who’s to say that faith in the darkness cannot elevate one to a revered position? If the corpse-blinded loyalists can have saints born of their false god, then so can we have our Dark Saints of our True Gods.

Is your story one of how a single mortal has been elevated to a position of reverence? Or maybe you will choose to focus on a Dark Apostle as he spreads the “good word” of an undying saint. But Chaos is not without eternal rivalries. A saint in the eyes of one follower is a sinner in the eyes of another. Maybe your tale will be one of rivalry and treachery, slaying a false prophet in the eyes of your Patron God.

In this week’s challenge, tell us your experiences with Dark Saints of Chaos.  

IF2019: Crown of Horns runs until the 26th of April.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge, Kierdale.

The winner of IF2019: The Enemy Reborn shall claim the Octed amulet:

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

And the honor of judging the next challenge.

Let us be inspired.

• MaliGn likes this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,711 posts
#haughty sniff#
Though the entry of my esteemed colleague Doom Herald was in the name of a lesser, baser deity that the magnificent one I personally worship :D ...

But seriously, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the tale of the Gheist Lord’s facing Blood Angel primaris marines. With a nod in there to the surplus of primaris lieutenants ;)

I judge Doom Herald the winner!

And I’m very much looking forward to getting into this new topic!
  • Scourged likes this

Doom Herald

Doom Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 725 posts
My gratitude, I enjoyed your story as well. I also look forward to the next topic, I will actually be writing about a Slaaneshi champion this go-around.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,711 posts
A tale of persecution, misled faith, and redemption.
I added a couple of links to previous entries, but they’re nonessential reading ;)

Pious Deeds

Hidden Content

• Sanctimonius, Scourged and Doom Herald like this

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)

The Brass Apostle

Spoiler

• Sanctimonius, Kierdale, Scourged and 1 other like this

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Prophetic Wind

Hidden Content

• Sanctimonius, Kierdale and Doom Herald like this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

gXTkv29.png?1

Thank you for all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2019: Crown of Horns

Kierdale continued his streak with Pious Deeds. This story started us off in the most proper way any story could for this challenge - a sermon. A mortal priest and his enlightened views are the focus of this tale, as is his inevitable persecution at the hands of the Inquisition. Why is it that the worshipers of the Corpse God cannot see how wrong they always are?

Trevak Dal was next with The Brass Apostle. Chaos calls to each and everyone differently. Heretical thoughts to one Astartes are divine inspiration to another. And for Simon Esther, that inspiration is tinted red. A saint to some, a mindless slaughterer to many others, he piously makes battle in the name of Khornath. As a bit of an aside, I’d also like to tell you I loved your tale’s final sentence.

Lastly, I jumped in with Prophetic Wind. To be praised and worshiped is not always a good thing. Not every saint ascends to a reverent state by choice. And for the followers of Tzeentch, this cruel reality is all-too familiar.

I hereby close that topic but if anyone has more stories on that theme, at any time, please post them here with a suitable title.

And so begins our second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: She Who Thirsts

Before I describe our new topic, allow me to “break character” for a bit. Given what is going up for pre-order today, the selection of a new topic seemed so very obvious. But, I thought to myself, surely in all the years that Inspirational Friday has been running, we have had a prompt to focus on each of the Gods of the Dark Pantheon. Surely, we have! And after scouring through all of our previous topics, we have… for only Tzeentch. I think it’s time we added to the quartet.

The “youngest” of the Gods, Slaanesh holds a special place in the Pantheon. Birthed from the hedonistic pursuits of the Aeldari, S/he has a special connection with this race, but will tempt and crave the souls of humans and Astartes as well. Excess is the name of the game in the realm of the Dark Prince. Excess in all things: pleasure, pain, indulgence, greed, lust, anger, perfection… In one legion there can be a soul striving to become the most perfect swordsman, while his brother is dedicated to producing the most cacophonous pain, and both are cherished by Slaanesh.

But not all hold the Lord of Excess in such high esteem. Those who follow Khorne are known to hold strong hatred for those in the Cult of Excess. The Tzeentchian among us will use and manipulate them, toying with them as an elder sibling would. Even Nurgle has a special connection to Slaanesh, what with him keeping Isha in his Garden as his futuristic Persephone. What you see in Slaanesh will not be what another sees…  

In this week’s challenge, tell us your experiences with She Who Thirsts. Have fun, Kierdale.

IF2019: She Who Thirsts runs until the 18th of May.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge, Doom Herald.

The winner of IF2019: Crown of Horns shall claim the Octed amulet:

Let us be inspired.

• Kierdale likes this

Doom Herald

Doom Herald

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 725 posts
I, The Doom Herald have thoroughly enjoyed the stories placed before me. The gods reward faith and obedience, though the path may be mired with sacrifice and torment. Whether that is The Dark Prince delivering salvation and notoriety to a mortal priest who found favor, The Blood God rewarding an apostle of The Octed with daemonhood for turning his back on the lesser gods, or The Changer of Ways gifting a champion with mutation, reverance, and torment to further his own unending plots, such is the reward of Chaos. Gods and daemons have capricious whims and their "gifts" are sometimes curses to the eyes of more temporal creatures. Which brings me to the recipient of the Octed Amulet, Scourged. We serve dark masters and unabashedly accept their praise and blessings. Let us let your story be a reminder that a Crown of Horns may also bear thorns. I feel that your story truly captured the spirit of this topic.

I very much look forward to the next topic and wish good muses to my fellow writers.
  • Kierdale and Scourged like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,711 posts
Even the dead shall know fear
Hidden Content

• Sanctimonius, Trevak Dal, Akylas and 1 other like this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

Just about a week to go, my debaucherous f®iends. Surely, some more of you have an excessively debased entry for this week's topic, yes? You wouldn't want to be found wanting in the eyes of the Dark Prince, would you?

• Kierdale likes this

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
Been brainstorming scenes and scenarios while stocking at work.

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,530 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Here is mine for she who thirsts week.

Faded Glories

Spoiler

EDIT- It was going to get way more crazy, but I thought I should tone it down like a lot.... 

Edited by MegaVolt87, 13 May 2019 - 04:26 AM.

• Scourged likes this
gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 146 posts

I was a bit hesitant to post, given the quality of posts in this thread. Hope you enjoy.

Hidden Content

Edited by Sanctimonius, 13 May 2019 - 06:36 PM.

• Kierdale, Scourged and El_Dicko like this

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,337 posts
MegaVolt87 yeah I'm having that issue.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts
Unfortunately, yes, I did anticipate that when I was setting out this prompt. Of all the Gods, this one can be the most difficult to make for "friendly" reading, depending on which facet you choose. It's an irony that's always bugged me... One can describe the most brutal and ruthless carnage and murder with Khorne all day and night, but with Slaanesh's passions one must tiptoe.

Oh, and @Sanctimonius: welcome, and thanks for posting! Please, always feel free to post whatever you come up with. After all, this thread and the posts within are meant to inspire. All work is welcome.
  • Sanctimonius and Kierdale like this

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,711 posts
Fabulous work, Sanctimonious! Truly fabulous!
I really liked that one. A lot.
40k meets Se7en and then some.
  • Sanctimonius likes this

Sanctimonius

Sanctimonius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 146 posts

I really appreciate that, thank you!

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

gXTkv29.png?1

Thank you for all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2019: She Who Thirsts

Kierdale was once more the first entrant (I guess the Mark of Slaanesh does still give an Initiative boost) with Even the Dead Shall Know Fear. What better place to start then at the beginning, the Birth of a God? We’re taking through the life of an Aeldari from the fall of the empire to the fall of his craftworld. And we see the fates of so, so, so many of Slaanesh’s favorite children.

MegaVolt87 was next with Faded Glories. Is it in the past, or the present? Somewhere between? It matters not in the Immaterium, and especially not to Nytissa, Herald of Slaaanesh. Here we see the intimate relationship between Nytissa and his/her/its chosen plaything, Tyran of the Phoenix Guard.

Sanctimonius wasn’t far behind, submitting an untitled work. Two detectives, one captive, and a confession. That’s the story on the surface, but the contents take the reader even further. For most who fall to Chaos, it is a blunt corruption, an act of desperation, or an unknowing deceit. But Sanctimonius shows us an alternative, sinister means of succumbing to the Warp: courtship.

And so begins our second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: Relics of the Damned

Ten thousand years of warfare with give birth to so many things, none more vital to the effort than weapons. And through the endless mass of machinery manufactured through the millennia, there will always be that one in a billion lump of carbon that ends up forged into a diamond. A sword that never dulls. A gun that never misses. A cloak that protects when others would not. A grenade that rends the soul in addition to the flesh. Or an artefact of war that was birthed from the binding of a daemon.

There are so many to choose from. Our current Codex and Vigilus Ablaze offer so many, as do the books of previous editions. And let us not forget Traitor Legions - that most wonderful gift of rules to Chaos in the death throes of 7th Edition. Six relics for each Legion. But these are just the relics we know of. Perhaps your warband has found or forged yet another we’ve never seen...

In this week’s challenge, tell us of an Artefact of Chaos.

IF2019: Relics of the Damned runs until the 7th of June

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge, Scourged.

The winner of IF2019: She Who Thirsts shall claim the Octed amulet:

Let us be inspired.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 487 posts

As always, folks, you never make judging the winner an easy process - and I'd have it no other way. Three different stories, three different styles, three difficult choices. So, as it often does, the choice comes down to a gut feeling. Which of the stories got the most reaction out of me? Which did I feel the most? 

To that, I grant the (dis)honor of the Octed to Sanctimonius. I knew I was hooked right away. How? Ripping off fingernails. I can handle all forms of pain and torture in media, except for ripping off fingernails. That always gets me cringing. So after barely having started your work, I'm already curling my fingers into fists to hide the nails, and the mood is already set: I'm made uncomfortable, but I have to and want to keep reading. And that is what encapsulates Slaanesh to me... that mix of attraction and revulsion. Fantastic work. Enjoy your prize. 

• Sanctimonius likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inspirational Friday, Inspirational Friday 2019

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users