Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inspirational Friday 2019: Curse of the Gods (until Feb. 1)

Inspirational Friday Inspirational Friday 2019

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 376 posts
  • Faction: Chaos

gXTkv29.png?1

Welcome to Inspirational Friday 2019.
Inspirational Friday is a chance for members to write pieces of fiction based upon pre-set topics. The goal of this thread is to do just what it advertises: inspire. Whether it is to expand on your own headcanon of Chaos in a broad view, or to develop a vast narrative of a personal warband, Inspirational Friday is a place to share your work with others. As in the previous Inspiration Fridays, images accompanying entries are most welcome.

I, Scourged, will select the topic for each period. However it is all of you that will act as the adjudicators. The winner of each current topic will be select by the winner of the previous topic. This was the format adopted since IF2016, and has been a welcomed change ever since. Should any winner wish to turn down their duty, then task shall revert to Scourged for that entry. Said winners will earn themselves one of the coveted Octed amulets for proud display in their signature. 

As with IF2018, each topic will have two or more weeks to submit an entry. I plan to continue the traditional deadline of Friday evenings, inkeeping with the previous years of IF. 

Judging Rules
1. Many of our members are non-native English speakers so grammar, spelling and punctuation should not be too harshly judged. That said, members are encouraged to type their entries in a word processor program which can help them with their spelling and grammar.
2. The judge should choose the one entry which, in their mind, exemplifies the IF topic of that week. Not necessarily the most action-packed, the longest, the coolest, etc.
3. The judge may, when posting their judgement, choose to give feedback on each entry. What they liked and didn't like, what they wanted to see more or less of.

Past Inspiration Friday Topics
Links to previous incarnations of Inspiration Friday, for reference:

Under Brother Nihm:

Under Tenebris:

Hidden Content

Under Kierdale:

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Under Scourged:

Hidden Content

While each topic will close (with respect to who can win the medal for that theme) after a set period, members who find themselves inspired to write about previous themes are most welcome to post these as and when they can, but I ask that you please title your entry accordingly (e.g. “Chaos Warship”).

Inspirational Friday: Timelines of Treachery is a companion thread to this (and past and future Inspirational Friday main threads) for those who wish to organize their IF entries and present their warband's timeline. This was an idea that Kierdale introduced, and is a thread to help both readers and writers get their heads around which stories come where. By all means please add your own timelines as and when you can.

May the Dark Gods inspire you all to greatness.

Edited by Scourged, 20 January 2019 - 08:31 PM.

• Forté, Iron Father Ferrum, Excessus and 4 others like this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 376 posts

gXTkv29.png?1

And so, let us begin with our first challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: Genesis

It is a new year, with new beginnings for us all. And everything must start somewhere. This is true for each and every follower of Chaos.

The nine fallen Primarchs all had their genesis in the bowels of the Imperial Palace, and later on their adopted homeworlds. Their legions saw their start with ranks of Terran Astartes, but would all find a new path with the return of their genesires.

Some warbands may have begun their tenure loyal to the Imperium, turning to embrace of Chaos for innumerable reasons. Some chose to rebel from the shackles of Imperial rule like Huron Blackheart, while others  were claimed against their will and forced to turn, not unlike The Scourged (a personal favorite of mine).

For the inaugural 2019 topic, tell us about the beginnings. Be it a Legion or Warband, a squad of brothers or a single Astartes, a known entity in the Long War or a fledgling group born in the wake of the Cicatrix Maledictum… tell us of their origins, their genesis.

IF2019: Genesis runs until the 18th of January.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That burden lies with the winner of 2018’s final challenge: Warsmith Aznable.

The winner of IF2019: Genesis  shall claim the Octed amulet:

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

And the honor of judging the next challenge.

Let us be inspired.

Edited by Scourged, 18 January 2019 - 01:04 AM.

• Forté, Azekai, Excessus and 7 others like this

ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Medal_01f.gifCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01f.gifgallery_29004_10383_2014.pnggallery2900461982240.pnggallery_63428_7083_6894.png

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 914 posts
Nice choice of topic for the new thread!

Here goes:

The Final Penance of Kor Ladron

Spoiler

And a picture of the model that this story relates to.
Spoiler

Edited by MaliGn, 05 January 2019 - 11:31 PM.

• Warsmith Aznable, Scourged and Magpie Knight like this

RobWrath

RobWrath

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 154 posts
Here's one I prepared earlier. I'd love to post a picture of Morgar'ak's miniature to go with this but I haven't built him yet.

I didn't name it...lets go with:

The Fall and Rise of Morgar'ak of the World Eaters

Spoiler

Edited by RobWrath, 12 January 2019 - 08:31 PM.

• Warsmith Aznable and Scourged like this

tordeck

tordeck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 45 posts

I am at a loss so far as to specific character names and will edit them in before the deadline. But here is the majority.

Spoiler

edited in names

Edited by tordeck, 14 January 2019 - 07:07 AM.

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01d.jpggallery_48988_11572_5587.pnggallery_48988_15094_2398.pnggallery_48988_15094_595.png

Trevak Dal

Trevak Dal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,768 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion (Night Blades)
All he had ever done, was fight other Astartes. He hadn't had the 'great honor' of fighting in the Great Crusade. He'd never made oaths to the emperor or to the Imperium, he'd been elevated during the War.

Spoiler

Edited by Trevak Dal, 12 January 2019 - 08:05 PM.

• Warsmith Aznable, Gederas and Scourged like this

"Our Turn" - Centurion Khârn.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 376 posts

Wonderful work to all those who have entered thus far. But for those still toying with ideas and prose, fret not - there's still time to submit your tales of Genesis! 

@MaliGn: Thank you! It seemed appropriate for the nature of things. New year, new thread, and (hopefully) plenty of new blood to christen the walls and floors with their offerings.

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 376 posts

Ah, feels good to dust of the cobwebs and write a bit again. Though, maybe one day I'll learn to write shorter stories. Here's my contribution:

You Deserve a Drink

Hidden Content

Edited by Scourged, 18 January 2019 - 02:59 AM.

• Warsmith Aznable and Azekai like this

ThanatosMalleus

ThanatosMalleus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 231 posts
Does until the 18th of January mean I'm too late today or this is the last day?

Edited by ThanatosMalleus, 19 January 2019 - 01:58 AM.

ThanatosMalleus

ThanatosMalleus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 231 posts
I hope I'm not too late.

The Birth of the Gheist Lords

Hidden Content

Edited by ThanatosMalleus, 19 January 2019 - 01:59 AM.

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,502 posts

Does until the 18th of January mean I'm too late today or this is the last day?

Inspirational Friday's cutoff is usually midnight of the specified date. So yes, today's the last day.

Sadly, I won't be participating this week because I've had some serious writer's block, EVEN THOUGH I KNOW WHAT STORY I WANT TO WRITE :lol: I know what I want to do, I just can't put down words to make it work >.>

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,299 posts
I too hoped to submit an entry but just haven’t had the time to work on anything.
I’ve covered the Psychopomps’ fall from the POV of those who fell to Slaanesh and from that of the Eldar who tried to stop it, but not yet from the POV of the first company who fell to Khorne.
Hopefully I’ll have a chance in a future IF2019.

Thanks again to Scourged for taking over. It looks like things are off to a good start! :)
  • Gederas likes this

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 376 posts

You are indeed not too late, ThanatosMalleus! As was mentioned, you'll have until around midnight the day of - in this case that's midnight CST, to get specific, heh. 

But given the amazing popularity of this topic, I think I'll give anyone who hasn't yet entered a little bonus time: rather than cutoff the deadline in an hour, I'll let it slide until tomorrow morning. This way, Gederas, should you manage to get some words to the "page" before I wake up and officially close the thread, you'll make the cut. And hey, even if not, please always feel free to post your stories at any time. 

The same, of course, goes for you too, Kierdale. Your work will always be welcome in the thread, even if "off topic." And I agree - things have taken off fantastically this year! Seems 2019 will truly be a Year of Chaos. 

• Kierdale likes this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,502 posts

But given the amazing popularity of this topic, I think I'll give anyone who hasn't yet entered a little bonus time: rather than cutoff the deadline in an hour, I'll let it slide until tomorrow morning. This way, Gederas, should you manage to get some words to the "page" before I wake up and officially close the thread, you'll make the cut. And hey, even if not, please always feel free to post your stories at any time.

I still haven't gotten any inspiration for writing, and I'm going to fall asleep soon. Soo..... laugh.png

Edited by Gederas, 19 January 2019 - 05:53 AM.

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,705 posts
  • Faction: Neo Zeon
I've read all the entries once, plan to reread them all again before making a final decision. I'm at work right now, so it will be several hours.
  • RobWrath likes this

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

Scourged

Scourged

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 376 posts

gXTkv29.png?1

Thank you for all for your entries in Inspirational Friday 2019: Genesis

MaliGn gifted us with The Final Penance of Kor Ladron, illustrating to all of us one of the many cruel fates that awaits those less than worth in the Eyes of Chaos. We watched with Carnac as his former master was taken and reborn into something anew, something far more powerful than Kor Ladron had been in life. And such a fantastic model accompanied MaliGn’s work - such a bonus is always welcome!

RobWrath told us the tale of The Fall and Rise of Morgar'ak of the World Eaters. Here we bore witness to some glorious Khornate-on-Khornate action, seeing how the chosen sons of a Chaos God are not even safe from each other’s bloodlust. The ending proved quite satisfying, seeing just what divine plan had been laid out for Morgar’ak. I wish him all the best in his new pursuits.

tordeck told us an unnamed story of Sergeant Xander and his compatriots, tired and beleaguered from serving an uncaring Imperium. Before long, the freedom of Chaos’ clarion call is too much for any human to resist, and so a new life for Xander is born. I enjoyed the ultimate choice for the warband’s name, by the way.

Trevak Dal was next, bringing another unnamed story, this one about Calto Banus, a riveting romp of Old vs. New. A Moritat and survivor of Skallathrax, we see Banus engage in furious pistolero combat with a squad of fresh Primaris Space Marines. The conflict ends with a very satisfying “honor” duel, and it’s a great snapshot of how one specialized Legionnaire unit survives in the 40th Millennium.

And in my entry, You Deserve a Drink, I gave you all an introduction into the beginnings of Lord Azeban of the Wayward Sons. And in true Alpha Legion fashion, his origins tell you everything while telling you nothing at all.  

ThanatosMalleus gave us a last-minute entry with The Birth of the Gheist Lords. Here, we watched as the Doom Herald, a former Crimson Slaughter warrior, surveyed the wreckage of a battlefield, and through paths of fate he himself foresaw, ascended to a new lordship.

I hereby close that topic but if anyone has more stories on that theme, at any time, please post them here with a suitable title.

And so begins our second challenge of Inspirational Friday 2019: Cursed by the Gods

The Chaos Gods giveth, and the Chaos Gods taketh away… perhaps far more than they give. Chaos by nature is fickle and unpredictable. For every boon there is a blight, for every gift… a curse. In our previous challenge, we saw how the God might bless their most reverent/bloodthirsty/fervent/lethal servants. But what about the rest? What happens to an Astartes when they earn the ire of a God…?

Regail with the pitiful tales of the poor, unfortunate souls that inhabit the Eye of Terror, the Maelstrom, and all dark places along the Cicatrix Maladictum. How have the Gods forsaken them? Are they destined to always suffer but never die? Do they forever hold victory in their grasp only to see Fate pluck it away at the last second? Or is their curse more corporeal in nature, twisting their mind and flesh as punishment for being found wonting?

In this new challenge, show us all what happens when you’re cursed by the Gods.

IF2019: Cursed by the Gods runs until the 1st of February.

And who shall judge this new challenge? That decision lies with our current judge, the winner of 2018’s final challenge: Warsmith Aznable.

The winner of IF2019: Cursed by the Gods shall claim the Octed amulet:

gallery_63428_7083_6894.png

And the honor of judging the next challenge.

Let us be inspired.

• tordeck, Excessus, MaliGn and 2 others like this

Warsmith Aznable

Warsmith Aznable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,705 posts
  • Faction: Neo Zeon
Sorry for the delay (real life stuff happened.) The story I believe captures the spirit of the theme best while also having a quality narrative is RobWrath's Fall and Rise story. I enjoyed reading every entry and look forward to another great year of B+C heretical fan fiction!
  • Kierdale likes this

The Iron Hounds (CSM) project log here & IA here. | Our Martyred Lady (SoB) project log here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

Index of Inspiration Friday entries here.

gallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_53134_9839_10377.jpggallery_53134_9839_46080.jpggallery_53134_9839_9398.jpggallery_29004_9303_844.png

"Three times faster than the usual Warsmith."

tordeck

tordeck

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 45 posts

Congrats to the winner. Thank you Scourged for the kind words.

Call_of_Chaos_11_Banner_01d.jpggallery_48988_11572_5587.pnggallery_48988_15094_2398.pnggallery_48988_15094_595.png

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,299 posts
My entry for Cursed By The Gods:

Ennui
Hidden Content

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Inspirational Friday, Inspirational Friday 2019

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users