1500pts Mortarion

Charlo

Here's one for my disgusting brethren; is Mortarion ever viable at 1500pts? What would the list look like? Good synergy or units to avoid? What Detachments?

Basically for the new year I'm banning myself from new models until my current projects are finished and I'd like to get the guy out of the box for an upcoming tournament later in the year!

In terms of specifics I can field the following:

-Cultists

-Pox

-Plague Marines

-Random characters

-3 Bloat Drones (spitters)

-Deathshroud

-Blightlords

Of course! At lower points opponent would have fewer answers to kill him turn1.

Morty would take a detachement slot himself; the main detc slot for you would be a DG batallion. You can pick decent DG units here, e.g. plate prince, FBDs, PBCs.

Strongly recommend putting some unit which could reliably cast "Warptime" in the last detc slot(e.g. a minimium Ahriman patrol). Morty charge turn1 and Morty cannot charge turn1, are two totally different games.

Of course! At lower points opponent would have fewer answers to kill him turn1.

Morty would take a detachement slot himself; the main detc slot for you would be a DG batallion. You can pick decent DG units here, e.g. plate prince, FBDs, PBCs.

Strongly recommend putting some unit which could reliably cast "Warptime" in the last detc slot(e.g. a minimium Ahriman patrol). Morty charge turn1 and Morty cannot charge turn1, are two totally different games.

Can confirm the change in game from Mortarion charging T1 vs. T2. Played a non-competitive game at 1500 a few days ago and didn't include warptime. Not only that but Morty failed his charge turn 2 (with rerolls) and basically was a super expensive bullet sponge. Straight up lost the game from that.

You're probably already going to, however, I would recommend Miasma of Pestilence to be cast on Morty for when he is exposed from fallback/murdering whatever he charged in the next wave of shooting.

Okay so here is an unbelievably rough start...

Had a cheeky bit of time at work so have amended to the following:

Mortarion
Chaos Lord - Balesword
Sorcerer
14 Cultists - 2 Flamers
10 Pox Walkers
7 Plague Marines - Plaguesword, 2 Flail, 2 Axe, 2 extra Knife

Rhino - Extra Combi Bolter, Havoc Launcher

Biologis

Foul Blightspawn

2 Bloat Drones

Got about 30points or so to play with after this. Battallion gives me the CP needed for Grenade spam + a few rerolls.

General plan I suppose is:

• Morty + the Drones roll forward
  • Rhino holds the Marines, Bio, FBS & Lord for a grenade bomb/ secondary charge
  • Cultists and Pox Walkers screen the sorcerer and make a nuisance of themselves

Cultists armed that way as I'll use the renegade guard from Blackstone Fortress, though I have some old guardsmen I could spruce up if the flamers really aren't worth it/ to add more numbers :biggrin.:

That's super similar to how I play my DG! No surprise since we both play BA.... Looks solid to me, only thing I do different is I use PBC's instead of drones (sometimes) and I don't own cultists so I usually use 2 poxwalker squads. But that's just a difference in tastes.

Noice! How do you find it performs?

I don't have any Crawlers and my challenge is to use the models I have for the list where possible (or kitbash what I don't!) it's why I have an odd number of cultists/ pox - I've only got 10 Fantasy Ghouls to build ;)

If it’s any help, this is my formerly-1750pts, pre-CA2018, so I think it’s 1705 now..? But yeah, chop off that couple of hundred points and here’s an idea:

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [75 PL, 1235pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched

Gifts of Decay (1 Relic)

Use Beta Rules

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 82pts]: Balesword, Combi-bolter

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: 4. Blades of Putrefaction, 5. Putrescent Vitality

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [10 PL, 154pts]

. Plague Champion

. . Codex: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist

. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Plague Marines [10 PL, 152pts]

. Plague Champion

. . Codex: Plague knife, Plasma gun, Power fist

. 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

. Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

Plague Marines [10 PL, 161pts]

. Plague Champion

. . Codex: Bolt pistol, Plague knife, Power fist

. Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Bubotic Axe

. Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Flail of Corruption

. Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Flail of Corruption

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 90pts]: 15x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Foul Blightspawn [4 PL, 77pts]

Tallyman [4 PL, 55pts]: Plasma pistol

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 140pts]: 2x Plaguespitter, Heavy slugger

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 140pts]: 2x Plaguespitter, Heavy slugger

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 74pts]: Combi-bolter, Combi-bolter

++ Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment (Chaos - Death Guard) [24 PL, 470pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Mortarion [24 PL, 470pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 3. Plague Wind, 6. Curse of the Leper, Warlord

++ Total: [99 PL, 1705pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I would always say no to that.

Simply because at no point could I see Mortarion fighting along side mortals.

They are too week and he dispises weekness.

I know cultists are probably better value. But I play Death Guard

Aye exactly how I was thinking. It's just that points are so tight?!

Going into an ITC GT at 1750 last summer I spent a lot of time play testing Mort. My personal belief is he’s not worth it. He works best (unfortunately) with Magnus which I just refuse to do personally.

I did a lot of reporting on those games on my blog if you’re curious but I did it because I loved the model and I confess I had no expectations of success. I did far better than I thought I would but it did reinforce these large models are just way too easy to take down nowadays. However if you want to have fun.... that’s a different story!

Going into an ITC GT at 1750 last summer I spent a lot of time play testing Mort. My personal belief is he’s not worth it. He works best (unfortunately) with Magnus which I just refuse to do personally.

I did a lot of reporting on those games on my blog if you’re curious but I did it because I loved the model and I confess I had no expectations of success. I did far better than I thought I would but it did reinforce these large models are just way too easy to take down nowadays. However if you want to have fun.... that’s a different story!

Thanks mate, I tried to PM you for some insight but i think your inbox was full as I remember your exploits!

Completely agree with you on the Bro-team, just not cool. Definitely in it for fun and because I've had the model for over a year doing nothing in a box.

I almost wonder if 1500 is a spot where he won't find too much competition for damage outside of Knights or some real compy builds, that I don't think this tourney will have (lots of newer players, more for beerhammer than a winner!)

Those extra 250 go such a long way...!

How did you find the list performed? Were multiple units of Plague marines necessary or would you swap out for cultists to save points etc?

Sorry for not replying sooner! Had a tummy bug, the irony of it all...

I mainly took the multiple Plague Marine units because I love Plague Marines, and taking three for the whole “tri-lobe” thing. If I were chopping this to 1,500... I’d probably chuck the melee squad and the Tallyman? Then maybe the Rhino could transmute into something cool now it has less need to ferry people about. Maybe more Poxwalkers? I haven’t massively thought about it, I’ll get back to you.

Regarding the Cultists, I personally wouldn’t in this list. The Poxwalkers not getting hurt by morale stuff is the main reason I picked them in the end, I just need them to sit there after all.

Thanks mate, I tried to PM you for some insight but i think your inbox was full as I remember your exploits!

Completely agree with you on the Bro-team, just not cool. Definitely in it for fun and because I've had the model for over a year doing nothing in a box.

I almost wonder if 1500 is a spot where he won't find too much competition for damage outside of Knights or some real compy builds, that I don't think this tourney will have (lots of newer players, more for beerhammer than a winner!)

I’m sorry. I had a few people trying to contact me recently an someone else let me know about my inbox. Lol

Here’s my take, which is largely just a crazy man who loves DG ranting wildly...

Mort is a beautiful sculpt. I didn’t use him for a long time because he was too good. Then the game changed. Alone, without a warptime Alpha Legion, without his hated brother Magnus, he is (in my opinion) a liability in any tournament where there is a veteran expectation.

There’s a lot of tools now to take him out, keep him busy, etc. But we’re talking about an experienced environment.

The last highly competitive tournament I took Mort to every opponent I played thought my army to be largely underpowered. Every one but one of those guys did not think I would win/ had an optimized list. All except one guy. Strangely I was fearful of his list, but he didn’t know how to use it properly against Mort.

I was very forgiving in this game. The player was flustered and feared greatly about Mort and I even let him back up a phase and use a Strategem. This would be the only game Mort would survive the whole game and do real damage.

After the game this opponent made comments about how he had bo answer for Mort and he had brought a 7th Ed list to a major tournament and was fairly upset. After the game,while our stuff was still on the table, I showed him (with his permission) how he could have whooped Mort about Turn 2-3).

That was the only time I met someone who was worried about Mort (especially how I use him).

I think in 1500 points he’s -nearly- impossible to support properly. He’s just too expensive. But if you run into a guy playing what he owns, and that consists of 30 space marines and a chaplain... yeah you’re probably going to have him limping out of there with a serious case of Nurgle’s rot.

Mort is an amazing hobby challenge and if you really play DG, then I believe he shouldn’t be sitting, unused, in his box. ;)

Archived