Should I just start my new Skitarii army off on 32mm bases?

Hey all:

The subject line pretty much says it all - I am starting up a new AdMech army sometime this month and I was curious if anyone had a reason I hadn't considered regarding just putting all my Skitarii Rangers and such on 32 mm bases from the get-go.

I know that I'd be allowed to use whichever bases came with the models and wouldn't need to re-base them down the line when the AdMech are inevitably switched over to 32mm. I also know that the smaller base sizes allow more models to converge on a particular point of interest.

But I'd just rather not get into a situation where I have twenty Rangers and ten Vanguard on 25 mm and then GW suddenly pulls all the existing stock like they did with Orks and I wind up with any new units being mismatched.

I guess another way of putting it is: Is there ANY reason to think that GW won't be moving the Skitarii to 32 mm bases sooner rather than later?

And is there some slam-dunk instawin reason that I should resist going to 32 mm as long as humanly (or cyborgly) possible?

I don't see them getting 32s - human sized models go on 25s, Toughness 4 models seem to go up to 32s (Not exactly true, but look at marines and now Orks being on 32s).

It's your models and the old guidelines I played with were you could always go bigger not smaller with basing, I suspect they would look better on 32s though.

Depends if you regularly attend any big tournaments, if you do, check with first?

I personally don't think Skitarii will be moving from 25mm bases. The shift of other models from 25 to 32 was to line up the old range of models to the filled-out range of bases that GW created. Models that were cramped on 25mm and that were planned to get larger in future kits got the bump but human-sized models and the like are sticking to 25mm. The Skitarii models are a gorgeous sculpt that they won't be replacing anytime soon and they're designed for and perfectly suited to the 25mm base, in my opinion.

There's no indication at this time that skitarii models will move to 32, so I would stay clear of using them.

Toughness 4, marine-sized models were moved over, but T3 human-sized stayed the same so far. Even 5th edition marines (which are slightly smaller than the 6th edition new boxes) had legs that were too wide for the bases, switching to 32 was just a logical choice there. Also the width and height increase is meant to make those models look more impressive next to human-sized models. In contrast, every human-sized model (even the high-end scions) remained on 25s. As for skitarii, the legs don't even overstep the bases, the cloak is not even as wide as a marine, I don't see any reason to switch those over.

Several updates have come and gone without skitarii changing base size, unlike for example necron warriors - those switched from 25 to 32 in one of the boxed sets first, before reboxing the warrior sprues. Considering that skitarii have been in several boxed sets since them (Killteam, Battleforce, Forgebane), this would have been the point where they would be switched over, but they didn't. The only AdMech unit so far that got a base size increase was the enginseer, when switching from the old metal/finecast ones to the current plastic design.

Archived