Links: Schola Progenium + Sisters of Silence

I recently got my hands on an amazing Wargames Exclusive Canoness with Progena- I was fortunate to find one aftermarket, because they haven't been available via the WGE website for awhile.

Anyway, it got me thinking about connections between various Imperial Orgs.

In the Saint Katherine's Aegis Campaign, one the planet is redesignated in official Imperial Record as a shrine world, a progenium facility will be built to feed the Chapel, the Convent and the seminary. At this point, the Mission will be upgraded to a full Preceptory- I'm not sure yet whether they will form their own Order Minoris; at this point, I'm really liking the idea that various detachments from several of the orders are stationed here. But a Progenium facility...

That really drives up the potential for Order Minoris.

As I've designed the Desdemona System, there are three habitable planets; once that Progenium facility opens its doors, Imperial orphans will be shipped in from other worlds. The planet of Orison's Wake would have to change significantly as well; Aegis City will eventually become the shrine city, pushing many of the current organizations that occupy the city into the nearest of the agri-communities.

I am also intrigued by the Sisters of Silence. Cult activity on Orison's Wake will definitely lead to increased psychic activity. The Slaaneshi Cult will include at least one rogue pysker, and possibly more. This could see the arrival of a small detachment- an Inquisitor, two squads of Sisters of Silence and an Acquisitor. 

So now my Order Minoris has the capacity to draw upon its relationship with the Schola Progenium and the Sisters of Silence as I try to figure out my Order's unique traits. So my question to the community: is there precedent, or does it seem reasonable that there could be sufficient overlap between these organizations that they would be stationed together for extended periods of time?

There is no relationship, other than the Sisters of Silence apparently impersonating Sororitas while they were in hiding (which they aren’t anymore as far as I know). The two are disparate organizations, one founded by the emperor himself before the Imperial Cult existed, the other (in its modern incarnation) during the Thorian Reformation in M35. The Sororitas are an arm of the Ecclesiarchy, the Sisters of Silence are not at all Furthermore, all Sisters of Silence are psychic blanks, which may (depending on headcanon) qualify them as mutants in the Sororitas’ eyes.

Of course I also hold that all Novices are trained on either Ophelia VII or Terra so I’d also not have progena going straight from the scholas to the Convent on your planet but that’s not necessarily irrefutable (it’s implied in 1 GW source plus stated in one of the Dark Heresy books that Sisters are trained only on those 2 worlds if remember correctly).

Cool- thanks for the response- I had never considered that Sororitas might see those with the pariah gene as mutants. What a cool conflict of interest.

Also, great point about training at the major convents. I really like the idea of training on Terra or Ophelia.

As it stands, I think I'm going to hold off on the transition to an Order Minoris; I'm really liking Sisters Soup- ie. a pure sisters force, composed of detachments from different orders. It changes the original story line, but I think that's a good thing- it keeps this thing fresh.

At some point in my story line this time around though, there will be an appearance of the ultimate psychic killing patrol detachment:

Inquistor Greyfax

Cullexus Assassin

Kharon Pattern Acquisitor (In the fantasy world where I'll ever be able to afford one of these)

5x SoS Vigilators

5x SoS Prosecutors

I figure they'll be called in after the Sisters verify the identity of the rogue psyker who is involved with the slaaneshi cult. They'll visit for a battle or two, and the Sisters of Saint Katherine's Aegis will certainly provide support, but the Inquisition patrol won't become connected to the Chapel in any sort of long term relationship.

In order to merit this kind of attention, the Rouge Psyker will have to be a big deal- bigger than originally planned.

As for the progenium, that one is going to require some thinking. The model of the sister and progenium is awesome, and I really want to use it- it's a nice canoness #3 (Veridian is canoness #2 because GW didn't give her rules despite their index promise to make rules for every current model). I also really liked the idea that the sisters celestians who make up Jahalla's Vanguard are natives of Orison's Wake. It creates a certain dynamic tension in the army- not important competitively, but it could affect the campaign.

So even though I agree that training on Ophelia or Terra would be the most "correct" approach, I might have the Convent select particularly talented progena directly; perhaps it's only one unit of celestians that are natives as opposed to the whole vanguard.  

It's entirely possible that some members of convents on populated planets could have a decent number of "native" sisters, in that the assignment of Novices to Orders after they become full Sisters isn't necessarily random. It could well be seen as a benefit to have locals around in a Mission/Commandery/Preceptory that stays put on one planet mostly, so I think your Celestian Squad idea could work (and it's pretty neat besides) even if you keep with the idea that all Sisters are trained at the Convent Prioris or the Convent Sanctorum.

As for tying the Sisters of Silence in, I think having them just be brought along by the Inquisition would be a good way to go. The Sisters may well ask for an Inquisitor, especially from the Ordo Hereticus, but they'd likely not ask for Sisters of Silence in particular, since the Sororitas do (likely) see themselves as competent witch hunters (and rightly so, I think). It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say that the Inquisitor(s) brought some Sisters of Silence along with them if they think this rouge psyker is a really big deal (and it probably is if the Sisters don't think they can handle it without Inquisitorial help).

Archived