Boss Snikrot's Sneekybois.

Bukimimaru

Hey guys, long time 40k player here but very new to Orks.

I wanted a little project to start in the new year and as I'm the only person in my gaming group that doesn't own at least a small Ork army, I thought I'd build and paint 1,000 points of Blood Axe Orks.

My problem is I have no idea where to start and although I've read up on the Blood Axe klan and the kind of things they usually take, I don't know what a really fluffy Blood Axe mob would look like.

I've ordered Snikrot, 10 Kommandos and some Stormboyz to start, but what else should I add? I really don't care about how well they'll play on the table, I'm going pure fluffy fun for this project. Lots of conversions and 3rd party bits to make them stand out.

I want to go with a Vietnam theme, so lots of boys in big helmets, white vests, and dogtags, appropriately armed with skorchas, rokkits and maybe some deffkoptas thrown in for good measure.

TLDR; what's the fluffiest 1000points of Blood Axes I can make?

Snikrot's arrived and I've assembled and primed the Stormboys.

I've also got a WIP Warboss that I'm doing some practice on to get the skin color and stuff down.

49461830_274811373196960_942347384162091

49592429_10156057282483004_8961876577990

I'm kind of in love with the Forgeworld Chinork kit, but it's a little outside of my price ranges for a small new-years paint project.

I started with Orks in 1st ed with their "Codex", 'Ere We Go.  You're doing it so exactly right I'm loathe to even comment, because you clearly know what you're doing.

I'm sure your mates told you they're cunning yet brutal, and the lore is that Blood Axes like to imitate humans, but the joke is they imitate humans BADLY.

The example I've heard before is a Blood Axe Ork notices a human soldier using some kind of laser sight on his gun to improve accuracy.  However, the Ork sees only a red light emanating from the gun, not the red dot on his body.  The Ork concludes fancy lights make dakka better (which isn't technically wrong), thus takes a string Christmas lights and wraps it around his whole gun AND the arm he's holding it with.  Of course, YES, it absolutely does make his shooting better, because Ork technology is works together purely due to duct tape and self-confidence.

You've got the right units, Kommandos, Stormboyz, etc.  You've got the right theme, they're imitating like Catachan-looking soldiers with your Vietnam theme.  Just keep going with what you're doing and it's more than great.  Maybe the Chinork to imitate Hueys, you're right.  Maybe 2 Dakkajets looking like MiG-21.

I'll share what I'm doing with Blood Axes.  I'm doing a small thing with Orks imitating Techpriests in what they call the Orkdeptus Mekanicus.  HQ will be a Kustom Force Field Mekboy dressed in a poor cosplay of a Techpriest.  A Nob with Power Klaw will look like an Ork-equivalent of a Servitor.

I started with Orks in 1st ed with their "Codex", 'Ere We Go.  You're doing it so exactly right I'm loathe to even comment, because you clearly know what you're doing.

I'm sure your mates told you they're cunning yet brutal, and the lore is that Blood Axes like to imitate humans, but the joke is they imitate humans BADLY.

The example I've heard before is a Blood Axe Ork notices a human soldier using some kind of laser sight on his gun to improve accuracy.  However, the Ork sees only a red light emanating from the gun, not the red dot on his body.  The Ork concludes fancy lights make dakka better (which isn't technically wrong), thus takes a string Christmas lights and wraps it around his whole gun AND the arm he's holding it with.  Of course, YES, it absolutely does make his shooting better, because Ork technology is works together purely due to duct tape and self-confidence.

You've got the right units, Kommandos, Stormboyz, etc.  You've got the right theme, they're imitating like Catachan-looking soldiers with your Vietnam theme.  Just keep going with what you're doing and it's more than great.  Maybe the Chinork to imitate Hueys, you're right.  Maybe 2 Dakkajets looking like MiG-21.

I'll share what I'm doing with Blood Axes.  I'm doing a small thing with Orks imitating Techpriests in what they call the Orkdeptus Mekanicus.  HQ will be a Kustom Force Field Mekboy dressed in a poor cosplay of a Techpriest.  A Nob with Power Klaw will look like an Ork-equivalent of a Servitor.

That article in the regimental standard about Orks adopting humie hats will be perfect for you then, a red robe around the mek's head to make him think faster! :)

My Blood Axe force has Kommandoes and Stormboys too, but my Mek-heavy army started off as a Dread mob, so I've got a different theme. I think this army is in safe hands by the sound of it. What shade of green are you using to undercoat them? It looks like a very blue green to me. The Warboss has turned out nicely.

There's a bit of fluff I love that a bunch of Boyz noticed that the 'Umies wore camo and it made them harder to see, but they couldn't understand *why* it made them harder to see, so The boyz all adopted camo but in bright colours (I'm thinking of going purple). Of course, because they're orks it works, so all these brightly coloured lads somehow manage to blend in with the trees and get ded sneaky. 

I got my hands on a few more bits last night. 5 Tankbustas, enough arms and weapons to make 5 Burnaboyz (just needs heads and bodies) and 3 Deffkoptas.

I've also asked my FLGS to order a box of Boyz (mostly for the bits.)

The Orkdeptus Mekanicus idea sounds amazing. XD

What shade of green are you using to undercoat them? It looks like a very blue green to me. The Warboss has turned out nicely.

I don't know what colour the primer is, its a dark green Army Painter can.

I bought a much lighter green primer last night which I'll use on my Tank Bustas and stuff. I'll post pics if I get some painting done tonight.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm happy with the way he's coming along. 

I managed to clean up and prime the Tank Bustas on my lunch break. 

I like the lighter primer a lot more so I've given Snikrot a very light coat with the lighter green.

The tank Bustas are second hand and needs a bit of cleaning up and I had to snap off a few arms and reposition them plus swap out some more thematic heads, but I'm always grateful to save a few quid and rescue unloved old models. :)

49715067_1978773398825529_64504456820241

They'll need to be put on 32mm bases, but I usually do the bases seperatly once the model is painted anyway, so no problems there.

I wonder what kind of bases I should go for? 

Boyz are fluffy in any clan. But since you're already going with Stormboyz and Kommandos, and this is a small project and not a long term thing, I'm going to suggest something different. Blood Axes are known for doing mercenary work for the Imperium, often receiving equipment and guns in exchange. In addition, a rapid and sneaky attack could result in many captured assets.

So maybe some Imperium vehicles converted into trukks or battlewagons, but less looted and more "upgraded." My 2 cents.

Still, welcome to our corner of the WAAAGH!!!

I've finished Snikrot (hopefully I'll get some pics up of him tonight) and I've made a start on the Tank Bustas.

I've decided to go purple on their shorts / trousers with a city camo type effect. I'll have to see how it looks when its done and decide of I want that to be a running theme across all my Klan, or just the Bustas.

My Kommando bits have been dispatched so hopefully they'll be here soon, but still waiting on an ETA for the boyz.

How do people like to run Deffkoptas? just stick with the rockets, or are flamers / slugggas a preferred option?  

Koptas used to be great in previous editions when flank armour was a thing. Currently theyre overcosted for what they do.

Im considering modifying mine from rokkits to twin shootas. They might not be combat effective but could be useful in Maelstrom games for rushing objectives. Theres no option for flamers - but Skorcha buggies (index) do the job well.

Snikrot:

50170691_10156070716258004_6713824630076

50000085_10156070716373004_6946747969328

The Skin Highlights aren't as severe when you see him in person. lol.

I'm not sure how to go about building the box of Ork Boys that arrived the other day.

Should I just make them as Boyz (which I will inevitably need at some point) or do I use the kit and all the off cut bitz I've collected from friends to make up 5 Burna Boyz, 3 more Tank Bustas and a Boss Nob?

Great Work on Snikrot. He's a great model, isn't he? You've done a good job painting him. Have you decided how you are going to base the models yet?

Thanks. :3

I'm still undecided on how to do the bases TBH.

I've used a different kind of base for all my armies: Grey Gravel for Blood Angels, Green Crystal for my Necrons, Martian Desert for my Templars, Mechanicum bases for Deathguard, and Snowy for my Sororitas.

I might go easy with the Orks and just go for a brown muddy look with some foresty / jungle vegetation. Give them that classic Predator / Commando look. 

I don't think it's worth putting a Big Shoota in a 10 man squad, if you plan on putting those Boyz in a Transport as I reckon you're planning to.  For theme/modeling purposes, remember a Trukk Transport still comes with a Big Shoota, so you can model that car-mounted gun as a Boy just pretending to be Rambo firing it.

If you're running a full mob with a Nob + 29 Boyz to run up the battlefield with, there's an argument to be made to mix in some Shootas in general with the pistols and choppas (since that's an option now, in previous editions you couldn't mix & match weapons, so this isn't something really talked about until now).  The idea is, even with a Kustom Force Field from a Big Mek, some Boyz will get shot up before they get into melee.  Until that time, at least the Shoota Boyz can return fire.  Then when removing casualties, remove the Shoota Boyz 1st, so that when they reach melee it'll be just your Slugga & Choppa Boyz for max effect.

Thanks for the advice dudes.

Yeah, I'll probably end up putting the boys in trukks, mostly becasue they look cool.

Plan at the moment is to have 2 squads of 10 boys in trukks and one squad of Grots to sit on backfield objectives. 3 Troops choices sorted nice and easy, leaving me with plenty of points for Sneaky Bois and Jumpy Bois.

Ok, after having a proper snoop through the ork Codex I've settled on my 1,000 point list.

HQ: Boss Snikrot (Warlord)

HQ Warboss, Relic Klaw, Attack Squig, Kombi-Rokkit

Troop: 9x Boyz with sluggas/choppas, 1x big shoota, 1x Tankbusta bomb, Boss Nob with powerklaw.

Troop: 9x Boyz with sluggas/choppas, 1x big shoota, 1x Tankbusta bomb, Boss Nob with powerklaw.

Troop: 10x Gretchin

Elite: 9x Kommandos, tankbuta bomb, Bossnob with powerklaw

Elite: 6x Tankbustas all with Rokkits, 2x Bombsquigs, Boss Nob with rokkits.

Fast Attack: 3x Deffkoptas with Rokkits

Fast: 9x Stormboyz, Boss Nob with powerklaw

Transport: Trukk with Wreckin' ball.

Transport: Trukk with Wreckin' ball.

That makes a nice battalion detachment at 997 points.

I have no idea if its a good list or a bad list, but it looks like a fun list. 

Grots sit at the back on a home objective, tankbustas hide in midfeild terrain and harrass enemy vehicles while the trukks full of boyz zoom up in my opponents face.

Turn 2 the Kommandos and the Stormboyz drop in and (hopefully) get the charge with their re-rolls.

I guess it's all going to be about how well I weather the first turns incoming fire. lol.

Any thoughts / tips? 

• 2 weeks later...

My 10 Kommandos are built and primed.

I've used a standard boys kit, but built them using some Spellcrow 3 party heads and torsos. 

Sorry for the spud quality of the pics, the lighting in my living room is appealing. 

Test scheme:

50795506_710851155975275_739218976072007

And I've also built and primed my Gretchin squad.

Test paint:

50837216_315855039136120_493542498086420

Got some serious painting done this weekend, but my fiancee also decided to start showing an interest in Age of Sigmar, so my planned budget for this months Orks have been redirected towards buying her a Shiny new Goblin army. Its a blessing and a curse. lol.

Anyway, here's a few of my Kommandos. I just need 5 more Stormboyz and 2 Trukks and then I'm ready for my first game. :D

51410355_2360683987276373_52379139526539

And before anyone mentions it, the barrels will be drilled, but I'll batch drill them once all the models are painted and ready to go. :p

I played my first game last night! :D

My opponent was gracious enough to let me proxy two different tanks as Trukks as I still haven't bought mine.

We played 1,000 points, Ork vs. genestealer cult.

Neither of us had played with these armies before, so some mistakes were made, but the game was tremendous fun and some crazy things went down.

First impressions:

Tankbustas are AMAZING. I wrecked his transprot in one volley, it exploded and wiped out his warlord and half of his bodyguards in the first round.

The Dakkadakka rule is so much fun. Getting those extra shots on 6'd even in overwatch is hilarious.

Grots are great. My as cheap scoring at the back they work well, and my opponent didnt want to waste shots to kill "just Grots". They shot down one the quadbike guys, so as well as scoring they made their points back.

Stormboys and Kommandos are just ok. Being able to deepstrike is great, but they had very little damage output and died very easily. I think they probably need to be in large sized units to be viable.

Trukks are fantastic. Being just tough enough to dissuade your opponent to firing medium S weapons, but just flimsy enough to make it feel like a Lascanon or Mining laser is a waste of precious ammo.

My Warboss died before he could even swing, so I cant make a judgment on him yet. 

All in all, I really enjoyed the game and I cant wait to get in another.  

Archived