Adjusting to 8th Edition

mega_marines

Hey guys, I’m typically a big 30k player and I don’t play much 8th but I’m looking to rectify that. I don’t have any plans to run Primaris in most of my lists (but own about 40 of them to use eventually) and I have a few questions.

I like the idea of running a Spearhead Detachment of 3 Predators and a Lieutenant for support. Is this generally considered overkill at around 2.5k to 3k? I love vehicle squadrons.

I know Tacticals are considered meh now, but is taking 4 MSU squads with 4 Heavy Bolters and 2 Powerfists between them too stupid? It seems like 8th almost punishes marines for taking ten man Tactical squads. Trying to play fluffy above winning a lot if that helps; I own ten Sniper Scouts and ten Shotgun Scouts but like Tacticals as the classic troop choice.

Combi Weapons seem great now, I have lots of Combi Plas and Melta lying around. Seems like Company Veterans are perfect to run this way with a Captain/Chapter Master, especially the Plasma for rerolls. Is it better to run them as Sternguard or to both?

Thanks in advance guys.

Your spearhead will work, and will also unlock Kill Shot, which is a great Stratagem if you can pull it off. Don't be dissuaded to go with them just because they aren't that efficient - if you like them, you'll have fun and get a bonus from that strat.

Your tactical plan is mostly what a lot of Devastator squads are on the competitive circuit, minus the power fists of course. Granted, Dev squads get Signum and the Cherub, which is where their true strength lies, but it isn't any worse than tacticals are generally.

Sniper Scouts are a competitive choice as well.

I would avoid using combi weapons with Sternguard - their real strength is the special issue boltgun and the Stratagem. Company veterans are perfect for that role.

Your spearhead will work, and will also unlock Kill Shot, which is a great Stratagem if you can pull it off. Don't be dissuaded to go with them just because they aren't that efficient - if you like them, you'll have fun and get a bonus from that strat.

Your tactical plan is mostly what a lot of Devastator squads are on the competitive circuit, minus the power fists of course. Granted, Dev squads get Signum and the Cherub, which is where their true strength lies, but it isn't any worse than tacticals are generally.

I would avoid using combi weapons with Sternguard - their real strength is the special issue boltgun and the Stratagem. Company veterans are perfect for that role.

I heard Predators were pretty decent this edition for their ability to just mulch things. Or are they just “meh”?

The Tactical squad bit amuses me; I'd love to run Devastators but I often fill up my Heavy Support choices quite quickly. I’ll be sure to work on more Sniper Scouts ASAP too

The Sternguard/Veteran bit makes perfect sense. I’ll be using my Seeker models for the Sternguard so it fits perfectly.

I heard Predators were pretty decent this edition for their ability to just mulch things.

The Tactical squad bit amuses me; I'd love to run Devastators but I often fill up my Heavy Support choices quite quickly. I’ll be sure to work on more Sniper Scouts ASAP too

The Sternguard/Veteran bit makes perfect sense. I’ll be using my Seeker models for the Sternguard so it fits perfectly.

The biggest problems with marine vehicles is that they don't get the already pretty comparatively weak chapter tactics, they don't have much in the way of mobility, and their defensive stats leave much to be desired. They are definitely offensive powerhouses, especially the autocannon for it being really good at both jobs, but they're still not the most efficient way to do anything from a competitive perspective. But for your case? They'll do just fine!

Archived