The Best Brushes for Painting Miniatures

There is not really A best line of paintbrushes in my opinion, I have extensively tried them all (GW, Raphael 8404, Rosemary, W&N S7 and army painter).

Apart from some size-wise variations between same size  W&N S7 and Raphael 8404 these two are qualitywise identical if you use them the same way, if you are strict with maintenance then rosemary brush is as good whe it comes to preserve the tip. I always suggest to fellow new painters the following when it comes to getting brushes:

• For layering highlights: Get W&N series 7 size 1 and 00 or the Raphael 8404 equivalent sizes
  • For drybrushing: Here is the rare instance were GW excels, get their drybrushes (you really need just the medium size, perhaps the large one for larger bases)
  • For pin washing with oilpaints: get a syntetic round size 0, syntetic starter paintbrushes from ary painter and other miniature companies work well here.
  • (Masters brush cleaner: get it, don't argue)

I haven't done any real comparative testing, but considering what I actually use after plenty of years of painting - it's not a bad list, and I have a feeling the person using the brush is more important fro the result then which of the top names you use. In my case, it has more often than not been a question of availability rather than the strictest research.

• Basecoat & Large areas: Escoda Grafilo Filberts size #2 & #4, WN S7 #0
  • Layering & Details: WN S7 #0 and #00
  • Occasional super fiddly stuff: WN S7 #000 (often use drying retarder with this to prevent paint drying on the brush)
  • Drybrushing: GW and Army Painter Dry brushes and stippling brushes. I really preferred the old round design to the current flat ones, and I have a few cut off stiff synthetic artist brushes for drybrushing tight spots.
  • Washes: Decent quality Synthetic artist brushes from the local crafts store.
  • Oilpaint washes: Cheap synthetics from the local crafts shop
  • Mixing Paint,  texture paints and PVA glue application: This is end of life duty for any larger #0 and up brushes...

My €0,05

• Basecoat & Large areas: Escoda Grafilo Filberts size #2 & #4, WN S7 #0
  • Layering & Details: WN S7 #0 and #00
  • Occasional super fiddly stuff: WN S7 #000 (often use drying retarder with this to prevent paint drying on the brush)
  • Drybrushing: GW and Army Painter Dry brushes and stippling brushes. I really preferred the old round design to the current flat ones, and I have a few cut off stiff synthetic artist brushes for drybrushing tight spots.
  • Washes: Decent quality Synthetic artist brushes from the local crafts store.
  • Oilpaint washes: Cheap synthetics from the local crafts shop
  • Mixing Paint,  texture paints and PVA glue application: This is end of life duty for any larger #0 and up brushes...

This is a fantastic breakdown! after writing the article I've had lots of feedback regarding the comparison of brushes and I've just gotten My Rosemary & Co and found that they not better than my W&N, but they aren't any worse, they're just different. Everyone I've seen online tried to get one brand of brushes and stick with them. When actually (as I've just realised and you've perfectly pointed out) different brands & types do different jobs and there should be a decent ix amongst your go-to set.

Archived