Spear of the Emperor Painting Codex

Kilcin

Greetings, like many of you I have models from various factions and would think it would be great to tie them all together. After reading "Spear of the Emperor" by A D-B, I've decided to build up a Primaris Marine army based on the Emperor's Spears, a chapter that was on my short list years ago. Because of this, I want to have my Ad Mech tied to them and figured I could paint up my chaos from Blackstone Fortress to be like the Pure and Exilarchy. I've complied my notes from the book and would appreciate insight from other people that have read the book to make sure I haven't missed anything or help flesh things out. I'm hoping this would be a good resource for myself as well as others interested in the new forces shown in the book. I will be putting the notes into spoiler tags since someone might consider it an abstract spoiler.

Emperor’s Spears:

Light Blue Armor
White Helmet
Red Eye Lenses
White Aquila
Nemetese (Ogham) Runes in Black, Silver or White
Dark Blue/Black Right Knee Pad, reserved for a symbol as a Chapter Symbol the Marine has fought with, sigil of the Sentinels of the Veil or Exodus Armada or a representation of Elara's Veil.
Light amount of trinkets, animal skins/furs
- Sergeants have red transverse crests.
- Veteran Sergeants have red-and-black striped transverse crests.
- Lieutenants/Battleguard have red-and-black striped longitudinal crests.
- Captains/Warhost Lord have white and black longitudinal crests.
- The First Company/Paragons has the inverted trident marking on their helmets. A lot of them also have it tattooed on their faces, in red or white ink.
Librarians, Techmarines and Chaplins have apothecary tools and act as Apothecaries as secondary duties as the chapter has no Apothecaries; are part of the Druidic Order which has a ray-bladed sun as their symbol.
Librarians and Techmarines have black armor with white helmets.
Techmarines don’t wear the symbol of Mars, but the halo (half cog) over a blood weeping skull symbol of Forge-moon Bellona
Chaplins have black armor with bone helmets, all skulls on the Chaplin have blood tears running down the cheek (don’t remember it being referenced in the book, just a post from A D-B )

blue-gray storm cloaks

blue or red used for war paint

facial hair/hairstyle individualized/dependent on the individuals desires: not uniform.

Variety of skin tone due to pulling from a variety of tribes across the islands.

Bellona Adeptus Mechanicus:

I wonder if they should look like Skitarri from Stygies VII or Triplex Phall. I'm leaning towards the latter due to the similarity in Forge symbol.

Forge symbol is a halo (half cog) over a blood weeping skull

Mostly Black with (martian) red patches
“black-cloaked hosts of the Bellonan Skitarii Legion.” pg131
Green lenses?
Deacon Vectragos - “traditional red of Sacred Mars and the black markings of Bellona” pg261
“each eye a gleaming emerald lens se int a polished brass focusing array.” pg335

89th Novaskyr Adamnts (Astra Militarum):

Deep black and red pg128

The Exilarchy:

Defiled Astra Militarum uniforms (deep black and red) pg134

The Pure:

Polished white (pg197) edged/ridges in aged-green bronze pg181/pg209
Armor not filthy pg211
Chapter symbol: Crimson basilisk (serpentine) circling an orb/world. pg166
Red eye lenses pg 167
Fangs of the River Ghoul, bronze khopesh, five chapter relic swords. pg215

Sources:

Spear of the Emperor by A D-B

IA: Emperor's Spears by A D-B

A D-B's post in Rathamanti's Army Log

A D-B's post in Emperor's Spears thread

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner; the book doesn't seem to go into Mentor markings beyond what's known. Only thing in regards to the human pals for markings is that all Mentor slaves/servants have the Mentor Raptor on their outfit somewhere. The three Helots all have advanced bionics to help the Mentor SM with info gathering; installed for the job, not because they lost something that needed replacing. I still need to go back to reread about the armor the Helots wear to see if there is anything else to add. Much of the stuff in regards to them is about how they do things and how everything is a tool to be used precisely. They don't name their weapons, tending to use the items serial number or titles more often than personal names for the Helots.

Archived