Index Astartes exclusive rules

I'm not entirely convinced we'd ever see RG in an IA, but damn if I don't like these ideas.

I just hope that the Smurfs don't get one
They will if the others do. And it would only be fair since they're in the same boat as the others where relics and Strategems are concerned.

I don't hate the Ultras. I just hate how GW acts like they're the only non Angel or Wolf Chapter that exists a lot of the time.

Edited by Claws and Effect

I'm not entirely convinced we'd ever see RG in an IA, but damn if I don't like these ideas.

I just hope that the Smurfs don't get one
They will if the others do. And it would only be fair since they're in the same boat as the others where relics and Strategems are concerned.

I don't hate the Ultras. I just hate how GW acts like they're the only non Angel or Wolf Chapter that exists a lot of the time.

Good point,

Maybe I should've said that I hope they don't get one before the other, less recognised chapters

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the FW chapters. Lots of FE stuff was shelved due to the untimely passing of Alan Bligh. The head writer for 40k took over 30k and has since been massively busy with that. With that said. Seeing as the book was completed for 7th edition I can’t imagine it’s be that difficult to simply repurpose it to 8th and release it as intended. Hell, i’d do the bloody thing myself if they wanted to send me it.

I can imagine they will focus on non FW chapters first. Annoyingly for my Red Scorpions but that’s how it looks like it’ll be for the foreseeable future.

If Crimson Fists received an Index article it's an indication that any Codex chapter could, and probably should.

To be honest I'm surprised we haven't seen many more at this point. It might be because a new codex i going to be released and any Index rules might clash with that.

It would be wonderful if the next Astartes Codex afforded each chapter a full page or two of unique stratagems, traits and relics. If it doesn't then I would hope all the chapters receive an IA article. It's a great opportunity to distinguish the chapters and add some additional flavour and opportunity for customisation of successors.

If Crimson Fists received an Index article it's an indication that any Codex chapter could, and probably should.

To be honest I'm surprised we haven't seen many more at this point. It might be because a new codex i going to be released and any Index rules might clash with that.

It would be wonderful if the next Astartes Codex afforded each chapter a full page or two of unique stratagems, traits and relics. If it doesn't then I would hope all the chapters receive an IA article. It's a great opportunity to distinguish the chapters and add some additional flavour and opportunity for customisation of successors.

It could also be because they alternate focus each month between 40k and AoS. While us faithful don't like to think about it, there's also more to the game than just Marines ;

Given the speed in which they have released these things, I don't think focusing entirely on Marines is feasible or popular.

It could also be because they alternate focus each month between 40k and AoS. While us faithful don't like to think about it, there's also more to the game than just Marines ;

Given the speed in which they have released these things, I don't think focusing entirely on Marines is feasible or popular.

Further, in the 40K months, they have so far rotated among Astartes (Crimson Fists), Imperialis (Assassins), and Xenos (Ynnari). It is likely that there will be Chaos factions in the rotation as well. So maybe 1-2 chapters per calendar year at best. Edited by RandyB

Note that I split all of the replies about the Blood Ravens rules into their own topic, placing that topic in the Index Astartes forum (where the Blood Ravens are discussed). You can find the topic here. Since different Chapters are discussed in different forums, this topic should focus on the general series of Index Astartes articles and how they might impact the hobby.

A great gateway use of the Index articles would be for GW to include appropriate Kill Team rules (for relevant factions). The Elites book introduced sub-faction rules such as Chapter Tactics, So having the appropriate adaptations for the sub-factions covered in articles would be an easy way to get players using them at small scale. This would more likely lead to players expanding their collections to use full WH40K armies. And if they also included relevant Apocalypse adaptations, we might see more huge armies of the relevant sub-faction. GW hasn't done this for the sub-factions covered via Index articles to date (e.g., Crimson Fists - they didn't even include the Crimson Fists' Chapter Tactics in the Elites book :verymad: ). I'm doubtful that they've done this for the Blood Ravens, but I'll be delighted if they do have Kill Team/Apocalypse rules included with the article.

As far as potency of rules go, I'm fine with the Index articles just giving us an interesting variation on a theme. I don't think that any sub-faction should suddenly become a must-have army. As long as the sub-faction remains comparable to the parent rules (e.g., in the case of the Blood Ravens, Codex: Space Marines) while being interesting to collect and play on the tabletop, that's mission: accomplished.

By extension, all of the same principles could probably apply equally to other sub-factions, but our focus in this forum is the Adeptus Astartes.