Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1000 point game for real this time

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Paladin777

Paladin777

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 900 posts
  • Faction: Thousand Sons, Blood Angels
Warning! Long opening post ahead!

Got a game finally planned this Thursday for sure and my opponent could be bringing anything. This also happens to be my first game with my Angels unfortunately (started building my army almost a full year ago... I need to make a New Years resolution to remedy this).

We are also playing 1000 points and I’ve made 3 quite different lists to choose from. This is a non-competitive game so I’m not choosing my final list solely based effectiveness, but also on how fun the list might be to play.

Dread heavy list: 1000 even (I’ve always loved Dreadnoughts, even when they haven’t always loved me back with my Thousand Sons army.)

Battalion
Twin LC jump captain
Foot Lt with p sword and Storm Bolter

5 intercessors, sarge has p sword

Vanguard detachment
Libnaught with Melta gun warlord, trait undecided
Quickening and wings of Sanguinius

Fragioso with heavy flamer
Dread with TLLC and Storm Bolter/fist
Dread with TLLC and Storm Bolter/fist

This one is simple, walk up the board fairly castled up with the captain and Lt and go from there.

Primaris list: 986 points (probably the most straightforward)

Battalion
Jump captain slam: hammer and plas pistol. Warlord, trait undecided

Foot lieutenant: power sword and Storm Bolter

3 Bolter inceptors
3 plasma inceptors

3 bolter aggressors
3 bolter aggressors

Similar in concept to the first list except I would deploy the inceptors last and may or may not ‘deep strike’ them depending on opponent’s deployment. In either case, capt. slam will stick with the plasma inceptors to allow for overcharging and they will take on the tough nuts after chaff being cleared.

Sanguinary guard list 994 points (most Blood Angels type list)

Battalion
Jump captain blender: pair lightning claws

Jump librarian: force axe, inferno pistol, probable angels wing to disallow overwatch against sanguinary guard and warlord.
Wings of Sanguinius, unleash rage

8 sanguinary guard: 4 with swords and bolters, 2 with fists and bolters, 2with fists and inferno bolters

Sanguinary ancient with inferno pistol, power fist. Standard of Sacrifice

3 bolter inceptors.

This is probably the most dynamic of the lists. The librarian as warlord sticks around with the sanguinary guard for rerolls and uses unleash rage. Sanguinary ancient also sticks around the guard for the rerolls to wound and 5+++’s from the SoS. This list is definitely the most reliant on command points as well.

Let me know what you guys think!

Edited by Paladin777, 06 January 2019 - 04:22 AM.

Meta Knight

Meta Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

Dreads smile.png Seems most balanced between anti-infantry and anti-tank. Also good threat saturation.

Or the second list. Love aggressors. Would go Death Visions and Gift of Foresight on the captain, and you have the points so might as well go for the shield. I imagine it'd take a lot at 1000pts to chew through 3+/3++/5+++ rerolling 1s and he'll have the plasmaceptors nearby to shoot for him. EDIT: Also consider replacing bolter aggressors with 5 jump VV? Hammer/shield + 2 psword/shield + 3 double chainsword seems like a great all-rounder to roll with Cap and is actually a few points cheaper. 

Third list just seems like all your eggs are in one basket. RIP if the Sang Guard get hit with Aversion or something.

Edited by Meta Knight, 06 January 2019 - 04:01 AM.

Paladin777

Paladin777

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 900 posts
Fair points on all counts, but I don’t have any VV’s and my smash-captain is modeled with a pistol and I tend to play wysiwyg... maybe I need to get some VV’s... will think on this...

Edited by Paladin777, 06 January 2019 - 04:13 AM.

Meta Knight

Meta Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

wysiwyg is always a valid reason. Would wholeheartedly recommend picking up some Vanguard. Very flexible and effective especially after CA.

• Paladin777 likes this

Jolemai

Jolemai

++ CERDONIS CÆDIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 13,692 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
Which list did you choose and how did it go?

gallery_62972_14467_5178.jpggallery_62972_14467_1351.jpggallery_62972_14467_4151.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

Blogs Blood Angels | Veritas Vitae | Battle Reports | Terrain | IXth Legion | Miscellaneous Imperials
1000 Scout list W:0 D:0 L:4
1250 Death Company List (jump) W:0 D:0 L:4
1500 Light Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Dreadnought List W:1 D:0 L:1
1750 Hybrid List W:1 D:0 L:0
1850 Death Company List (mech) W:0 D:0 L:0
2000 Heavy Mech List W:0 D:0 L:0 Two Towers List W:4 D:0 L:4
Apocalypse W:1 D:0 L:0 | Heresy 2500 Mechanised IXth W:0 D:0 L:0

Paladin777

Paladin777

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 900 posts
I chose the full Primaris list and ended up facing tyranids. I got slaughtered pretty badly, but I think I learned a few things (like never let a full brood of genestealers get to close combat!). I’m at work now, but I’ll try to give a better write up later.

Edit: and aggressors are friggin awesome vs the hordes!

Edited by Paladin777, 11 January 2019 - 01:33 PM.

Meta Knight

Meta Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

Hate to see it. Bloody tyranids. Glad it was a learning experience and happy to hear the aggressors didn't let you down! Love the little guys.

Paladin777

Paladin777

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 900 posts
My opponent was fielding:

1 hive tyrant with heavy venom cannon and monstrous rending claws,

1 broodlord

20 termagants, 5 with devourers, 15 with fleshborers

20 hormagaunts

20 gemestealers,

One melee carnefex

One full dakka-fex.

15 gargoyles

As both of us are new to playing 8th we just played one of the missions from the basic rules online.

He got first turn and had a fairly uneventful round of shooting and failed to charge anything but advanced pretty hard keeping the gargoyles and stealers’ our of line of sight. He did however take out two of my aggressors with the dakkafex.

My first turn involved dropping both inceptors and consolidating around my hq’s for rerolls. I rolled poorly for my bolter inceptors vs the termagauts (probably should’ve shot the stealers instead) but was able to blow away the entire hormagaunt brood and bring the tyrant down to second tier.

His second turn involved him charging pretty much everything into my lines and pretty much tied me up turn three as well.

The blender captain is really strong against chaff and was able to easily drop a lot of models quickly, but it wasn’t enough. For kicks and giggles I UWoF him and charged his broodlord and did 3 wounds. My WL traits was gift of foresight as I thought it would have been more useful against the horde, but in hindsight, AoW might have been better as he was one of the few things that could reliably damage his big bugs once in melee range.

Anyone with practical experience vs the hordes want to chime in I’d be grateful!

Edited by Paladin777, 12 January 2019 - 12:36 PM.

Meta Knight

Meta Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

Keeping the Intercessors close and focus firing close threats should find success. Three five man units put out 30 shots at rapid fire range, which can reliably chunk gaunt hordes, as opposed to spreading them out and each firing 10 shots into separate targets. The aggressors should speed bump. Deploy them forward, knowing that they'll eat charges and die, but they're decently sturdy and put out great firepower, meaning your opponent can't ignore them and has to focus resources on removing them. In turn, your intercessors and characters have breathing room.

If you're thinking about expanding your list, I think company vets might prove invaluable. Kit 5-man squads with storm bolters and chainswords and you have 80 point units that can put out 20 shots in rapid fire range, and follow up with 16 Red Thirst attacks. These guys will assist your aggressors in speed bumping horde units. Position them spread out in a line to strangle paths of advance, shoot, charge, or even just sacrifice them to stand and die. 20 gaunts will most certainly drown them in dice but he'll be wasting a charge on 5 models and 80 points, which frees the rest of your force to blast them for another turn.

Just my two cents :)

Meta Knight

Meta Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts

Something like this?

Primaris list: 999 points

Battalion 
Jump captain slam: hammer and plas pistol. Warlord: Artisan

Foot lieutenant: power sword and storm bolter

5 intercessors, aux gl
5 intercessors, aux gl
5 intercessors, aux gl

3 plasma inceptors 

3 bolter aggressors 
3 bolter aggressors

5 vets, storm bolters/chainswords

5 vets, storm bolters/chainswords

You trade 18 S5 shots for a potential 40 S4, and then 32 Thirst attacks in combat. Smash and plasma inceptors should be sufficient for your surgical strikes. Maybe worth a go?

Paladin777

Paladin777

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 900 posts
Definitely worth a shot, I appreciate the input!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users