Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vigilus Must Fall - A Black Legion Escalation Force

sonofcarnelian chaos chaos space marines black legion space marines vigilus escalation medusa v warhammer 40k

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,262 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels and Black Legion

"As the Warp changed my flesh, my brothers in the Eighth legion shunned me. But the Black Legion welcomed my brotherhood and showed me a new path. We are not shackled by our fathers. We can become something greater." - Legionnaire Tor Valdred, Formerly of the Night Lords, Oathsworn of the Black Legion.

Pictured below while deployed for the Vigilus conflict, Valdred displays the mutated facial features that drove him out of his former legion, likely as a form of psychological warfare against the human defenders of the world. Note the extreme coloration of the skin and the yellow, glowing eyes.

med_gallery_62495_14709_415442.jpgmed_gallery_62495_14709_423192.jpgmed_gallery_62495_14709_436405.jpgmed_gallery_62495_14709_75274.jpg

+++

So, after all these years, it would appear that Games Workshop will finally make good on their promises and release a refreshed range of Chaos Space Marine models. Coincidentally, I have an escalation league themed around the Vigilus conflict starting on the 22nd of January and almost everyone signed up has chosen some form of Imperium force. That will not do, no sir. So begins my journey back to the faction that started it all for me!

As a head up, this will probably be more of a "Hall of Honor" thread as I personally don't want to provide updates on unpainted miniatures at this point in my hobby life. You'll also notice I've gone with a decidedly more old-school basing scheme. This comes from my formative memories of White Dwarf around the time of Medusa V and this thread will certainly pay homage to the days of that campaign and the 3.5 Chaos Space Marines Codex.

Anyway, let me know your feedback! Cheers! 

• Draakur, Marshal Rohr, Brother Mayhem and 16 others like this

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,407 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

Oh wow those look really great and you managed to take proper pictures as well. Gonna follow this thread for sure!

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

AHorriblePerson

AHorriblePerson

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 163 posts
  • Faction: Black Legion

Valdred looks ace, I'm really excited to see what you'll create for your army!

gallery_108437_14773_852.jpg

Dragonlover

Dragonlover

++ PATRIS ANGUIGENA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,831 posts
  • Faction: Alpha Legion

Is that a Death Guard helm? Also I love your highlights, they're so crisp!

Dragonlover

El_Dicko

El_Dicko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 229 posts
Looks killer, great use of that helm!

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,502 posts

Hmmm... This looks like it'll be interesting.

The use of the Death Guard helmet is very clever. Gives me ideas for my own World Eaters or Emperor's Children.

N1SB

N1SB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 927 posts

So begins my journey back to the faction that started it all for me!

...and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time.

Outstanding work, outstanding theme, loving these Black Crusaders, Brother.

• Son of Carnelian likes this

gallery_57329_13636_22281.jpg

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,350 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem/Iron Hands

That's a nice paintjob and headswap, I think the face may have benefitted from a lighter colour, to make it stand out a bit more.

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,262 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels and Black Legion

Oh wow those look really great and you managed to take proper pictures as well. Gonna follow this thread for sure!

Valdred looks ace, I'm really excited to see what you'll create for your army!

Thanks guys! Right now I have the contents of Blackstone Fortress plus a few assorted Plague Marines sitting on my painting desk. Lots to do before the 22nd!

Is that a Death Guard helm? Also I love your highlights, they're so crisp!

Dragonlover

Looks killer, great use of that helm!

Hmmm... This looks like it'll be interesting.

The use of the Death Guard helmet is very clever. Gives me ideas for my own World Eaters or Emperor's Children.

As you all correctly surmised, it is a Death Guard helm. While I won't get into my intense dislike of the kit in this thread, some of the individual bits are quite lovely and work perfectly well with any traitor force, such as this broken helmet.  

So begins my journey back to the faction that started it all for me!

...and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started, and know the place for the first time.

Outstanding work, outstanding theme, loving these Black Crusaders, Brother.

Thanks, brother! It means a lot to me to hear that from you. Keep up the good work in the N&R topics!

That's a nice paintjob and headswap, I think the face may have benefitted from a lighter colour, to make it stand out a bit more.

Hmm. I see what you're saying but I wanted to get across the Warp shifting his flesh into something more demonic and I wanted to keep it consistent with how I will paint demon flesh on other models. I'm going of Garfy's formula on Tale of Painters, so it comes out into a rich sort of purplish-red (if I do it correctly).
  • Pearson73 and AHorriblePerson like this

Pearson73

Pearson73

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,350 posts
  • Faction: Warriors of Mayhem/Iron Hands

Hmm. I see what you're saying but I wanted to get across the Warp shifting his flesh into something more demonic and I wanted to keep it consistent with how I will paint demon flesh on other models. I'm going of Garfy's formula on Tale of Painters, so it comes out into a rich sort of purplish-red (if I do it correctly).

I was thinking a paler purple, so still daemonic, perhaps like some of the Slaanesh stuff. Regardless, if it's going to be across several models in the force as a unifying/consistent element, I think it'll look good.

Magpie Knight

Magpie Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 286 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

That is a fantastic looking model. The headswap turned out great.

I was planning on finishing building and painting the rest of the BSF models before I touched the CSM, but I think I'm going to change that. I've been trying to decide if I want to paint them as Black Legion to go with the game or Night Lords to match my army. I think you just convinced me to go with BL. Your model looks great in black.

Brother Mayhem

Brother Mayhem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 325 posts
  • Faction: Brotherhood of Slaughter

Awesome work mate, can't wait to see what you have in store for us. The helmet is a great idea, will have to use it myself on a fell champion of the Black Legion!

"We Are  Returned!" - Black Legion / Death Guard Plog

http://www.bolterand...tes-plog-bl-dg/

1430777548837_zps1fkqximx.png

Midnight Runner

Midnight Runner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,513 posts
That’s really cool man :tu: :tu:

MaliGn

MaliGn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 914 posts
Nicely done, although they are well painted I think the highlights are almost too much in some places - like the back of his right hand. They are very sharp lines though and round some of the fiddliest bits too so kudos for pulling that off! I suspect this may be one of those situations that is less noticeable in person than on camera though.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,132 posts
  • Faction: Summoners

That is amazing mate, I love the head you used it gives it a proper chaos lurking within look.

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Draakur

Draakur

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,653 posts
  • Faction: The Desolators
Looking forward to this :tu:
ATTACK is the only order worth remembering

Brokejaw Gutripper

Brokejaw Gutripper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 330 posts
Awesome paint job and the helmet choice really ‘caps’ it off.

Will be checking back in on these traitors for sure!

Xenith

Xenith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 9,814 posts

Great work as ever - those extreme highlights are crisp - although they look a little stark on the black - would you consider making the mid-tone highlight thicker to give a less steep gradient?

What's up next?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sonofcarnelian, chaos, chaos space marines, black legion, space marines, vigilus, escalation, medusa v, warhammer 40k

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users