Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Astartes movie pt 3 is out!

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,765 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

The movement of the Marines is just PERFECT, the only thing I disliked in Helsreach was the slowness and clunkiness. Here the Power Armour isn't in the way at all, black carapace does this and this why they are so insanely frightening. All that mass and inertia and all that agility nonetheless.

And the mood, the surroundings, the cultists, the weapon variety. ARGH, give me a full movie now.

Edited by Reclusiarch Krieg, 06 January 2019 - 09:33 PM.

• Brother Clavero, malika666, mel_danes and 21 others like this

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.

Lorgar signed the pact for his soul with crayons,

Erebus drinks recaf made with keel water of the Furious Abyss

and Kor Phaeron's mum was an abhuman!
- Blackclad Hools of Rogal Dorn

mel_danes

mel_danes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 194 posts
Truly a blessed work Brother.

RWJP

RWJP

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 392 posts
  • Faction: Storm Watch

That is absolutely top-notch... 

Love the casual side-step to avoid a missile!

Edited by Corus Belial, 06 January 2019 - 09:43 PM.

• MaulerUK likes this

Current Forces:

The Storm Watch - WIP Custom Space Marine Chapter

1st Atrian Rifles - WIP Astra Militarum Regiment

Ultramarines - Warhammer Conquest Subscription

Death Guard - Warhammer Conquest Subscription

Fr33Dom

Fr33Dom

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 959 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
That was well cool!

Deathwatch

W.I.P White Consuls 3rd Company

Sickness, disease, plague and pox

ETL_VI_Banner_02_Oathbraker_.jpggallery_69091_12729_13131.jpggallery_48988_15094_6323.pnggallery_48988_15094_1196.png

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,531 posts
  • Faction: His Noble Inquisition
That twin multilayer was cool!

And then a plasma pistol did plasma pistol things.

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

gallery_48988_15465_5689.png gallery_48988_15465_9618.png gallery_48988_15465_8459.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,670 posts
Ooo.... Nice.

redmapa

redmapa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,472 posts
  • Faction: Reclaimant Crusade

I do love what Richard Boylan has done with Helsreach but this is on a whole other level, this animation is cheap in terms of actions but it looks polished and it makes the corner cutting look like it was made on purpose to create a certain style instead of just doing it to economize animations, this is professional and looks absolutely amazing.

Games Workshop, take notice of this because this is your guy to go to if you want a professional animation. This is absolutely amazing and not only does it feel 40k but it manages to make Astartes feel like the absolute monsters they are supposed to be in fluff.

Best 40k animation since forever.

• Doghouse, Felix Antipodes, Honda and 9 others like this
++NO PITY.NO REMORSE.NO FEAR++
++Light your way in the darkness with the pyres of burning heretics.++

++We are the champions - my friends
And we'll keep on fighting
Till the end
++

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,189 posts
  • Faction: Summoners

I rarely get hyped but I hit that video so hard I think I got whiplash. That was amazing, GW give whoever did that a job!

• Honda likes this

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

Reyner

Reyner

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,960 posts
  • Faction: IV Legion, XIII Legion
That was awesome the marines are so brutally efficient :D
  • Doghouse and MaulerUK like this

gallery_60566_6038_242.gifgallery_26119_9644_9137.pnggallery_60566_6038_826.gif
"I don't need my left arm to run." - Sergeant Arkad VII Legion bad-ass.

ShibeKing

ShibeKing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 199 posts

Wow. I absolutely adored this. That plasma pistol at the end was my favorite part.

• MaulerUK and Taliesin like this

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,005 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate
Very cool and well made, but not very exciting IMO. The marines seemingly didn’t suffer any damage whatsoever, even from the heavy weaponry (unless I missed it, watching on a small screen). Not unrealistic for sure, given the setting, but kinda dulls the action a bit for me.
  • Aeternus likes this

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,751 posts
  • Faction: None - I'm a fluff nerd.

:jaw:

I don't know what to say. It is just plain perfect. I honestly don't know if there's something to criticize.

Just...exactly how I always imagined it...

• Arganias likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brotherhood of the Lost - The Icarion Insurrection: http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

Taliesin

Taliesin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,016 posts

Fantastic. Unbelievably good. Yeah this is the best Warhammer animation I have ever seen.

And I say that as someone who really rates Helsearch and rates the Death of Hope trailers we we have seen so far even more.

This is in par with Death of Hope for me visually, but clearly this is a story in and of itself and has a great deal happening. Amazing.

Edited by Taliesin, 06 January 2019 - 10:33 PM.

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,822 posts

I really enjoy how much weighty everything feels. The sound effects and the animation are great. I can't find anything that bothers me about it and it's releasing fairly quickly compared to other projects.

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! smile.png

My Adeptus Mechanicus Plog: http://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Plog: http://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

gallery_48988_15465_6059.png

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,242 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

One of the things that separates this dude's work from everyone else's is the sound. It's really, really good for a one-man show...

• Doghouse, BrotherAtrox, Brother Mayhem and 10 others like this

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,765 posts

Very cool and well made, but not very exciting IMO. The marines seemingly didn’t suffer any damage whatsoever, even from the heavy weaponry (unless I missed it, watching on a small screen). Not unrealistic for sure, given the setting, but kinda dulls the action a bit for me.

Where do they get hit with heavy weaponry? That autocannon from the flank doesn't hit anyone. The dude gets hit by the twin-linked multilaser, but that's a glorified gatling flashlight.

• Black Blow Fly, MaulerUK, Quixus and 2 others like this

Jarl Caldersson

Jarl Caldersson

++ OCCISOR CANUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,470 posts
  • Faction: SW? IDK anymore, and DG

It's pretty on par for the lore I have read. There have been instances of Marines taking anti-tank shells to the chest and continue walking with ease. DG, although they are exceptionally resilient, walk across a battlefield against a gunline of leman Russ's and heavy weapons with minimum casualties.

Unfortunately tabletop doesn't reflect this as we would only have 10 Marines aboard a 1000 pt game.
  • Quixus, Kallas, Preliminary Bombardment and 1 other like this
Posted ImagePosted Image
"It has been said that the Lord of Ultramar sees little else besides the primacy of his own culture. For him, all worlds might as well be Ultramar." - Diplomat Pyke
"I would have expected that suggestion from Ferrus, or maybe even Horus, but never Russ. He has a hidden depth that one" - Primarch Fulgrim
"The Wolves were the Emperor’s red right hand–monsters in their own way–but how easy it was to only see the savage, to fear the axe and miss the subtle knife." - Prmomus

Bjarni St.

Bjarni St.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15 posts

I do love what Richard Boylan has done with Helsreach but this is on a whole other level, this animation is cheap in terms of actions but it looks polished and it makes the corner cutting look like it was made on purpose to create a certain style instead of just doing it to economize animations, this is professional and looks absolutely amazing.

I've seen this reaction quite a bit and I'm not sure people are really looking at the big picture. Helsreach is just under 2 hours now with extensive dialogue (mostly from the audiobook but some original - both still require work). Astartes is so far under four minutes total, Death of Hope trailer 2 is four and a half. Does anyone think these other fan projects could get two hours out in a similar timeframe as a (solo?) fan project?

• mel_danes, Chaplain Dosjetka, Arkangilos and 2 others like this

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 930 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus 65th company

Man does the Astartes series get me seriously jazzed up.  It has that nice frenetic feeling when it comes to how it does its effects but keeps the physical movement of the astartes and voidsmen dynamic.  I'm not a film critic, I don't have time and I frankly don't care, neither am I gonna pretend to have a studied eye for a lot of details: but this is the first time I can remember where the fluidity of motion didn't throw me given the art style.  It kinda bridges the uncanny valley effect in physical movement for the rigging (for me anyway) that a lot of other productions just never got with either block or jelly character physics. 

Long story short: this felt good.  Helsreach is a good story, it made do with what it had for tech barriers in the past decade-ish that it was worked on.  But,  Astartes feels right while I had to 'get over' Helsreach's limitations for the gem and effort that went into it. Call it psuedo-Stockholmed if you will. 

As for the heavy weapon thing, the variety is killer, the little plasma effect was nice when it cut through the smoke (and the little screen blank in the targeter was terrific), and yeah, twin-linked multilaser carriage gets a marine and it looks like the armour is peeling.  So he 'Nopes' it out of there straight back to cover with a smoke grenade casually tossed in with that mechanical efficiency. 

Yep, awesome. 

• Son of Carnelian, Taliesin, Kallas and 1 other like this

ckYid5u.jpg

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,765 posts

And that casual knife kill. Damn.

• Doghouse, Black Blow Fly, MaulerUK and 4 others like this

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,962 posts
  • Faction: To be decided later

I WANT MORE! NOW!

Let's hope the animator has a good writer or a talent for writing himself.

Whatever happened to that Inquisitor movie?

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,396 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines
That is simply incredible. This is how Marines need to be portrayed. They are agile, frighteningly so, and not slow moving, robotic warriors.
  • Doghouse, Black Blow Fly, MaulerUK and 5 others like this

-~Ishagu~-

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,414 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels and Black Legion

One of the things that separates this dude's work from everyone else's is the sound. It's really, really good for a one-man show...

The sound design is wildly underrated here. As far as I can tell, he has mixed his own sounds for each weapon or extensively remixed existing sound files. Remarkable work all around, but don't sleep on that sound design. 

~Drakzilla~

~Drakzilla~

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 889 posts

The burst of plasma carving a hole through the smoke sent chills down my spine.

I think what really sets this apart from other fan-made 40k works, aside from what some people have mentioned already, is the sheer artistry in each shot. The framing, composition, color palette, everything is obviously coordinated by someone who knows exactly what they're doing. 

• MaulerUK, Nocturne Noble, Reclusiarch Krieg and 8 others like this

Laughingman

Laughingman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 541 posts

I like how the Arms-men with the duel-multi-laser appear to use their comrades as bait to get a solid shot at the Astartes... 

• Reclusiarch Krieg and Kallas like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users