Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Astartes movie pt 3 is out!

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,856 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

If you're a Power Armour wearing Space Marine hugging corners just isn't an efficient way of fighting. If your armour and physique can take such hits why not use that advantage? You're talking as if the Marines are walking around naked.

I'm talking as if he just walked into firing range of a heavy weapons platform. That could have been a lascannon, a multimelta, whatever.

For a "highly trained" super soldier, he walked right into what should have been a death trap. He just got lucky that it was a twinlinked multilaser, which still puts out 6 Str 6 shots, so... Could have been deadly. He could have at least checked the corridor before he entered it. It was clearly close enough that he could fire a plasma pistol and kill them.

Chances are that he couldn't even see the heavy weapon platform until he was a few steps in the corridor so checking around the corner wasn't even possible. They clearly waited until he walked a few steps and got good aim at him before revealing themselves. Also he was kinda busy dealing with all the other soldiers in the corridor already when he got in range. Yes it was a deathtrap and yes he got lucky but I don't see how it was necessarily his fault. A good trap is one you don't see coming, otherwise it wouldn't be much of a trap.

And the "6 Str 6 shots" has literally no meaning. That's purely crunch which doesn't representate fluff that well most of the time anyway.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Forward Assist

Forward Assist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 388 posts
This thread is an example of why I'm not on the B'n'C much anymore. Someone produces an absolutely excellent fanmade animation with great pacing, action, sound, FX and nitpicking is the response.

Personally, I thought it was the best visual portrayal of Space Marines I've ever seen.
  • MaulerUK, Nomus Sardauk, infyrana and 13 others like this
gallery_60566_6038_61161.png

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,184 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

Well that's what Marines do ...

Well, no wonder they take heavy casulties in Vigilus. That's no way to fight.
What, taking no real damage and being able to move straight through enemies? I guess they should just fallover like Guardsmen then. rolleyesclean.gif
They should, I dunno, use tactics, cover and fight smart at least a little bit?

I get its cool for marines to look hardcore, but it's really pushing the limits to me.

Like, marine armor is good -- but they aren't invincible.

EDIT: don't get me wrong, it was well animated and we'll done, its just a little fanfiction-y to me with how the Marines are fighting.
They did take cover...you didn't miss the last sequence, did you?

Nothing in these videos is really outside the realm of Marine armor durability. There have been crazier feats in Black Library novels, far crazier feats. You're probably coming from a strict TT interpretation of the lore, which isn't really the most fluffy (in fact I would argue it is the least fluffy).

The one where the marine steps out of a hallway, gets blasted quite a few times by a multilasers, steps away unharmed and then kills the opponent with a single shot?
Yeah, that's the scene I'm talking about. Surely, he should have taken cover or checked corners before that, but instead gets lit up and miraculously survives.

I don't know that he 'miraculously' survived, one of the main points of ceramite armor is to be able to withstand extremes of heat. He did end up taking cover, so sustained fire will probably provide a threat to him, but a second or two of exposure should be well within the limits of armor durability. 

That's kind of the point of powered armor with the degree of craftsmanship that Astartes wear. To be able to withstand fire that decimate squads of normal men (and did, in this instance) for some amount of time.

• dex_911, MaulerUK and Domhnall like this

Magos Takatus

Magos Takatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,590 posts

This thread is an example of why I'm not on the B'n'C much anymore. Someone produces an absolutely excellent fanmade animation with great pacing, action, sound, FX and nitpicking is the response.

Personally, I thought it was the best visual portrayal of Space Marines I've ever seen.

At the risk of nitpicking myself, it looks to me like the reception was almost entirely positive. There's not that much to criticize about it in my opinion but there's a lot to be impressed with and I think most people are happy enough with it. I do have to agree that bringing tabletop rules into a lore discussion is destined to fail since it's no longer possible to tell if a battle cannon fires one big shot or loads of little shots since templates have been streamlined out of the rules. It's best to use those stats as an approximate guide since weapons like the assault cannon have changed loads of times since their first appearance in the game. Their portrayal in the background isn't quite so fussy as their depiction in the rules.

• Shadow Captain Vyper, Interrogator Stobz, Forward Assist and 1 other like this

Formerly known as Flame Boy since about 1999. Time for a change! :)

My Adeptus Mechanicus Plog: http://www.bolterand...og-torburnides/

My Ork Plog: http://www.bolterand...oys-orky-horde/

https://www.instagra.../magos_takatus/

Beams

Beams

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,642 posts
  • Faction: Order of Our Martyred Lady

Wow, man, I don't know how many times i have to say like I thought the animation was great or whatnot, but still get labled a jerk for saying that there were parts of it that didn't do it for me? Like, aren't I allowed to have an opinion on it? The art is good, it's stylistically done -- I just don't like the portrayal of space Marines as invincible and the enemies as tissue paper. I wouldn't watch a full series of this, since I feel it lacks dramatic tension, when the heroes shrug off every wound and massacre the enemy with little effort, and look cool doing it. Is that not a fair point of view?

Edited by Beams, 09 January 2019 - 11:37 PM.

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,329 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

You really don't need to keep repeating yourself. As for opinions, everybody has one and you're certainly free to post it, but don't be shocked if it's an unpopular one. Is his opinion any less valid than yours? Or anyone posting on this board for that matter?

• Reclusiarch Krieg, Gorgoff and pandion40 like this

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Elzender

Elzender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 819 posts

Wow, man, I don't know how many times i have to say like I thought the animation was great or whatnot, but still get labled a jerk for saying that there were parts of it that didn't do it for me? Like, aren't I allowed to have an opinion on it? The art is good, it's stylistically done -- I just don't like the portrayal of space Marines as invincible and the enemies as tissue paper. I wouldn't watch a full series of this, since I feel it lacks dramatic tension, when the heroes shrug off every wound and massacre the enemy with little effort, and look cool doing it. Is that not a fair point of view?

For what it's worth, we have just seen aprox. 2 minutes of animation, so I am guessing things will scale up with further releases, which will probably prove more of a challenge for the marines. As for the portrayal, I have to agree with most fraters that the lore has always sold space marines as basically impervious to regular human weapons, and power armour as some of the best protection available, so resisting the multilaser for a second does not look that unbelievable. As for the trap, the multilaser crew shot through their own men just to try to take down the marine, so depending on the emphasis of martial honour of the Chapter or the information the marines have about their enemy it might have been something unexpected for the marine.

I do agree that if all upcoming releases were to be marines curbstomping all opposition it would probably become less interesting story-wise, but as a first impression of the brutality and power of space marines I think it is really good. We can only hope for the same animation, sound and effects quality for the future releases, together with greater action scenes!

• MaulerUK and Tipsy Techpriest like this

My blog (in Spanish): http://suenosdeuncon...logspot.com.es/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Karack Blackstone

Karack Blackstone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,998 posts
  • Faction: Vlka Fenryka

If this two minutes worth of animation is anything to go by, two things...

1 - I cannot do anything remotely close to this in terms of justice, any time soon

2 - If this is the standard stuff, and the quality is mostly going to trend upwards as the skill and threat levels of all sides goes through the needed force escalation to keep things interesting, then, there's no telling where this roller coaster ride will take us before the destination!

Definitely in my, "GW, PLEASE give this a nod!" category...

• MaulerUK likes this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,329 posts

Concerning the "invincibility" of the marines, I have a feeling that they're being lulled into a false sense of desperation and in another installment or two, they're going to get hit hard by something. 

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,650 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Concerning the "invincibility" of the marines, I have a feeling that they're being lulled into a false sense of desperation and in another installment or two, they're going to get hit hard by something. 

Probably by those Word Bearers we've seen.

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.
SuOSJCa.png
Stormbolt & Hammer
, a new Age of Sigmar Forum!

Cheex

Cheex

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,870 posts

I'm pretty sure I've watched this half a dozen times now and it still doesn't get old. Someone at GW, please give this man a job.

Exactly this.

What we've seen is the first part of practically every final act in practically every action movie. The 'good guys' are going around and kicking butts and everything looks great.

Threats will increase until they finally reach a challenge that seems hopeless, only for some desperate act of heroicism to save the day.

If you're worried about the Astartes appearing too invincible, then don't worry. That's exactly the point of these first few parts: to make them look so powerful that anything that ends up challenging them seriously must be obscenely strong. I suspect they'll run into some problems soon.

Edited by Cheex, 10 January 2019 - 03:19 AM.

• MaulerUK likes this

dex_911

dex_911

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 370 posts

Absolutely beautiful!

The marines don't need to take cover or scan corners because they simply don't have to. They would have done an inital threat analysis before boarding the ship and knew what to expect. If this was a space hulk with nasty genestealers lurking in every vent, you bet they would scan every corner. They simply don't need to here. Oh and don't forget the whole 'Trust your Wargear' thing they have going on too.

The whole point of the series so far is to build up the marines into the super human warriors they are, and I love how they have done this. When the autocannon fires, we get a clear shot of it piercing the steel of the ship interior, and then followed up by a marine deflecting the next shot with his armour. We as fan's expect and know this of power armour, but to someone new to the universe it shows them just that. When the multilaser fires through the human soliders first - this is done on purpose. It shows the audience that this weapon just cut down 20 odd humans in an instant, but the marine is able to withstand it for a few seconds. He is not invincible, as he needs to take cover - which he does, but it is providing the audience with context.

As fans of the universe we know the many threats which can cut down a marine (hell we feel it on the tabletop too everytime we play!) But these animations are showing the brutal efficiancy in what marines do best against an inferior foe. As I said, if they were against any other race or heretic astartes, you bet they will be scanning those corners.

Edited by dex_911, 10 January 2019 - 03:48 AM.

• Cheex, MaulerUK, Domhnall and 1 other like this

+We come from Titan to purge the Daemon+
-------------------------------------------------------

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 660 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
Does anyone want to place bets / speculate what entity / unit / wargear will takedown the first Space Marine?

oPgJUOm.png

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,329 posts

Whatever's behind that heavily secured door. Psyker, demon, etc. Something nasty is waiting in there. Maybe all these deaths - we say the masked guys herding the guardsmen into battle and dying in droves - are food for whatever is locked up. Also note, it was door 02, so there could be several of something nasty waiting for the right moment to make an appearance. 

• sitnam likes this

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

++ CRUDIOR ÆTERNO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 712 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons
I have a feeling nothing is waiting behind that door so much as that’s where the space marines are being channeled to, and when they bust that hatch down the Traitor Marines on the other side are going to have some harsh words for their loyalist counterparts, bolting them for emphasis.

Given the way the guardsmen were running I suspect that’s wrong, but either way when that door opens all hell is gonna break loose. It has that foreboding feel to it. shivers

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts
ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_03_.jpggallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshop
Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 2/7/1 wh40k 0/0/0 Kill Team
Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 1/0/0 Kill Team

marcusc

marcusc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 165 posts

well done!  that was sweet, those that call them little marines eh, little imaginations more like.

gallery_45765_12908_1745.pnggallery_45765_12339_1383.pnggallery_48988_15094_2023.pnggallery_48988_15094_1196.png

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,856 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

If we ever get this far I'm looking forward to learning more about what's going on for sure. We'll see whether he can provide with such an amount of content. The quality is there for sure but is he willing to continue like that for just a small fan project? It's a lot of work for little return after all.

That's the reason why GW went with the Helbrecht guy instead of any of the others. His animation quality might not be on the level of this one (tho I like his as well since it gives a very gritty artsy feeling instead of the more realistic/videogame feeling of this one) but at least he has proven that he can produce the necessary amount of content and with stable quality as well.

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Forward Assist

Forward Assist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 388 posts

Wow, man, I don't know how many times i have to say like I thought the animation was great or whatnot, but still get labled a jerk...

Not called anyone a jerk, pal.
  • MaulerUK likes this
gallery_60566_6038_61161.png

pandion40

pandion40

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 90 posts
For me the whole point of this story so far has been to establish just how good the Astartes are and it’s been done perfectly. Their precision and movement is perfectly done for possibly the first time, they give off a casual almost languid air as they purge the ship.

The enemy guard help to in this, they look very modern military, something were very familiar with plus crucially their competent, they don’t do much wrong their just totally outclassed. Killing an Astartes at this point would have been premature and undermined the whole point of this part of the story.

So far this reminds me of the start of the Predator, up to when Schwarzenegger and his team wipe out that bandit village, the whole aim of the start of the movie is to show these aren’t just normal soldiers their the best. This adds impact later when the Predator starts taking them down one by one. I’m not 100% certain this’ll go the same way but even if it doesn’t and it’s just a short focused on how awesome marines are that’ll be more than enough for me.

All the fan stuff coming out recently is awesome and each has it’s advantages, but for me this short is the first thing I’d show anyone new to 40k whose curious about marines and how good they are. It just does that perfectly.
  • Interrogator Stobz, MaulerUK and OgreOnAStick like this

reckoning

reckoning

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,340 posts
I'd love to see the Marines face a real challenge and meet their match deeper in the ship.

But I'm also very ok with just continuing to watch them effortlessly wipe out the human crew.
To Recover The Past Banner

karden00, on 28 Apr 2014 - 21:55, said:
Eh... dark angels couldn't hold the line. Surprise surprise....

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,912 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
For all these people pulling in game stats for results, the average for both 3rd-7th and 8th has the marine survive the multi laser and autocannon on average...
  • Interrogator Stobz and Domhnall like this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,632 posts

you establish the dichotomy between humans and astartes before presenting the reason of why you need to have astartes. 

• Lord Ranulf, dex_911, Interrogator Stobz and 6 others like this

MaulerUK

MaulerUK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 662 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

Helbrute, daemon or psyker behind Door #2?  What will our intrepid heroes win?

Stay tuned to find out!  teehee.gif

MaulerUK

MaulerUK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 662 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

you establish the dichotomy between humans and astartes before presenting the reason of why you need to have astartes.

Indeed! Escalation...

That plasma bolt is still the best punctuation to a video sentence I've ever seen, I think.

Edited by MaulerUK, 11 January 2019 - 07:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users