Heretic Astartes Models with a Daemon Faction Keyword

Blakklist

My buddy told me that there was a recent change that makes all the Heretic Astarte models with a specific daemon keyword apart of a specific legion now.  For instance a Khorne keyword with no specific legion noted becomes a mandatory World Eater legion only model.  I use the Brass Scorpion, Kytan, and Blood Slaughters in my Black Legion army all the time.  I can't find where it says this or if he is even right and he doesn't remember where he saw it.  Is this a thing?  If so where are the rule for it?

So I just found it.  It is in the Errata for IMPERIAL ARMOUR – INDEX: FORCES OF CHAOS that was updated on 6/22/18.  It reads like this:

"Q: Are there any restrictions on which Legion I can choose when replacing the <Legion> Faction Keyword on datasheets within this book?

A: Yes, as follows:
You can only choose for a unit to be from the World Eaters Legion if it has the Khorne keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Khorne.
You can only choose for a unit to be from the Thousand Sons Legion if it has the Tzeentch keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Tzeentch. You cannot choose for a Hellforged Rapier Battery, a Chaos Hellwright or a Chaos Hellwright on Dark Abeyant to be from the Thousand Sons.
You can only choose for a unit to be from the Death Guard Legion if it has the Nurgle keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Nurgle. You cannot choose for a Hellforged Rapier Battery, a Chaos Hellwright or a Chaos Hellwright on Dark Abeyant to be from the Death Guard.
You can only choose for a unit to be from the Emperor’s Children Legion if it has the Slaanesh keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Slaanesh.
Otherwise, any of the units in this book can be from any Legion."

So, does this mean no Forgeworld models can be used in a Black Legion Army?

So I just found it.  It is in the Errata for IMPERIAL ARMOUR – INDEX: FORCES OF CHAOS that was updated on 6/22/18.  It reads like this:

"Q: Are there any restrictions on which Legion I can choose when replacing the <Legion> Faction Keyword on datasheets within this book?

You can only choose for a unit to be from the World Eaters Legion if it has the Khorne keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Khorne.

You can only choose for a unit to be from the Thousand Sons Legion if it has the Tzeentch keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Tzeentch. You cannot choose for a Hellforged Rapier Battery, a Chaos Hellwright or a Chaos Hellwright on Dark Abeyant to be from the Thousand Sons.

You can only choose for a unit to be from the Death Guard Legion if it has the Nurgle keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Nurgle. You cannot choose for a Hellforged Rapier Battery, a Chaos Hellwright or a Chaos Hellwright on Dark Abeyant to be from the Death Guard.

You can only choose for a unit to be from the Emperor’s Children Legion if it has the Slaanesh keyword, or if it has the <Mark of Chaos> keyword and you choose to replace that with Slaanesh.

Err... Did you read the last sentence? :laugh.:

"Otherwise, any of the units in this book can be from any Legion."

The restrictions it mentions are ONLY for the Cult Legions.

Essentially, it's saying you can't have, for example, a Death Guard Brass Scorpion because for it to be Death Guard, the unit MUST have the Mark of Nurgle or be able to take the Mark of Nurgle, and the Brass Scorpion is already marked with a Khorne mark.

So yes. Your friend is either full of it, can't read or is willfully misreading that FAQ entry.

So I just found it. It is in the Errata for IMPERIAL ARMOUR – INDEX: FORCES OF CHAOS that was updated on 6/22/18. It reads like this:

Err... Did you read the last sentence? :laugh.:

"Otherwise, any of the units in this book can be from any Legion."

The restrictions it mentions are ONLY for the Cult Legions.

Essentially, it's saying you can't have, for example, a Death Guard Brass Scorpion because for it to be Death Guard, the unit MUST have the Mark of Nurgle or be able to take the Mark of Nurgle, and the Brass Scorpion is already marked with a Khorne mark.

So yes. Your friend is either full of it, can't read or is willfully misreading that FAQ entry.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah he was tryin to say I can’t replace that Legion keyword with “Black Legion” since it’s Khorne. I appreciate it.

Your friend is reading "You can only choose for a unit to be from X Legion if it has the Y keyword..." as being the same as "If it has Y keyword, you can only choose for a unit to be from X Legion...".

Grammatically, yes, you can twist the wording around like that. You can also reinterpret it as "You are only able to choose for a unit to be from X Legion if it has the Y keyword...".

In context, only the second interpretation really makes sense, otherwise there would be no point in having the <LEGION> keyword for units with a specific allegiance (e.g. Brass Scorpion, etc).

Archived