Advice for Master with Inceptors

RevenantDA

I run primarily a Ravenwing army with some scouts to get my Battalion.

I am looking to add 6 Inceptors with Plasma to harass back lines and large wound targets with WotDA. 

My question is:  The Inceptors will drop in with a Master, but what would be a good loadout for the Master?  (should I just kit him out minimally, jump pack and gun/chainsword?)  Would him being a hammer/shield be a good option so he can engage in close if needed?

My HQ's currently are Sableclaw, Talonmaster, and a librarian on a bike.  (These 3 are part of my Ravenwing mobile blob.)

I have 450 pts to play with in my list.

Thanks!

Depending on point and expected target you have a lot of option for the master.

TH/SS is the "best" and most expensive.

The shield is optional, you can save a few point and still count on your 4++.

The relic sword got down in point, might be interesting as a budget option if you want to use the heavenfall elsewhere.

The chainsword is not a bad deal if the plan is to bully the backfield and keep him cheap.

A big factor is the rest of the list.

If you have enough pressure that the inceptor might live a turn, investing in the master is a good idea.

If its a suicide unit, better keep him cheap.

My plan for them is to be able to target high HP units without having to put my Ravenwing blob in range of being trampled in close combat by said target.  I expect each list to bring a knight or primarch.  I'll try a test game with the TH/SS and see how it plays.  I have a couple weeks until the escalation league starts, and I won't be including this unit (Inceptors/Master) until it hits the 2k mark, as that is when Lord of Wars are allowed.  I've noticed in matches that my flyers tend to be left alone, due to the targeting of my Ravenwing Blob (Sable, Talonmaster, 6 BK's, 2 squads of bikers with melta guns (4 bikes per squad), Dark Shroud, and Librarian on a bike.)  I use 3 scout squads to get my battalion, and I use Dark Talons to round out the list (1 at 1500 pts, 2 at 1750 pts).

Thank you for all of the advice, I've never used a drop unit other than DW terminators back in the day.  Will be a learning experience for sure.

RevenantDA - I run my Inceptors with a jump master with combi plasma and a jump lieutenant with combi plasma for max rerolls and max plasma. So here is how almost every game goes with them, they come down and smoke something really big and bad like a Knight. Now if you are not able to drop them so they will be out of line of site of your opponents army they become target priority #1 and they die. Inceptors are very much a glass cannon and there not cheap, the trick is to drop them down someplace where they will be somewhat hidden but able to jump out and kill something later too. Usually though all mine are dead by turn 3 or 4 but with luck they have knocked at least 2 really scary unites of  my opponents. If you can get 2 good shooting phases out of them I would say your doing well.

Archived