Kill Team Arena - thoughts and expectations -

Master Sheol

The biggest two things holding me back are that I've bought every killzone so far, and arena play basically says "hey, all of that is useless", which means that the fun of mix and match play is gone. I'd use it for competitive play, but...

My flgs has started running KT tournaments, and the idea of needing a set per two players is daunting. The store isn't about to buy a bunch of kits to use because it would take ages to make their money back, and I don't know enough players that are willing to buy it just to play in a tournament for a $25 prize opportunity.

I feel like they missed the opportunity to emphasize options to use any board with symmetrical setup as a supported option for big event play.

I think these are fair points. However, I don't think that the takeaway from Arena is that you are limited to using the killzone in the set/rules. Rather, you should apply the principles to any killzone for competitive play. The challenge there, of course, is having enough maps whose layout is sufficient to support symmetrical setup; and having sufficient terrain to make each table symmetrical. I can see a lot of DIY terrain being made, especially the plaster terrain.

Hopefully the rulebook for Arena will be separate down the line. If not, I'm not sure if I want to spend the 90 on just that. But rules for ultra-close confines sounds fun. But then again, the faction I'd want to play (World Eaters) is disallowed because Chaos can't use Khorne Berzerkers :laugh.:

Hopefully we'll see the World Eaters receiving rules in the (near) future. Perhaps you should try your hand at DIY rules to get you through the wait. You might not be able to use them in official settings, but many opponents won't mind playing against balanced DIY rules in friendly games.

I don’t know a lot about arena, but I believe it was in a video review and unboxing of the set that it was mentioned there are secondary objectives which also work at equalising the game as some scenarios support some kill team builds and factions over others, allowing you to score where you otherwise wouldn’t ba able to. Here could easily be ported over to any kill team game, using any scenario and kill zone, providing a little more balance, even if the map and scenario you ar using aren’t symmetrical. Just a thought mind you, I’d be ceurious to hear what others think on the subject.

• 1 month later...
So, Arena has been out for a few weeks now. Has anybody here had the opportunity to try it out? If so, what were your thoughts and impressions? How does it compare to regular Matched Play Kill Team? Are any builds or factions advantaged by the cramped confines of the arena?

I've played a few games of it and I think the game is balanced pretty well. I will say flamers/multi-shot weapons and short range guns do well and close combat happens a lot more. Horde armies are pretty good in arena as they tend to be able to swarm objectives. I like it a lot more than matched play as that tends to be more static it seems. Just ready everyone and fire away, while in arena you are generally on the move every round. The 3 "secret" objectives that you can score are nice too and that it only lasts 4 turns is nice making games a bit quicker so you can get more in. I think it is a real improvement. I haven't had a chance at the battle brothers missions yet so can't comment to those.

• 1 month later...

@guardin31 (OR anyone who has played kill team arena lot.)

I have some questions about kill team arena and would like to hear your take on it.

How do you think the arena is for teaching new players?

OR is the normal kill team killzone maps better when teaching new players?

Have you played the arena without the "secret" objectives? If so how was it like?

Edited by Mechanicus_Adept

I like the it a bit better than the base game so I would think it would be okay for teaching new players. It is rather different to standard Kill Team as being enclosed  it makes it harder to set up your shooters in ready mode. I haven't tried it without the secret objectives, but Arena does still score off of objectives so you don't necessarily need them, they are just a nice little bonus. 

My thoughts are that playing Arena is very different from vanilla. Much of what is learned in vanilla will not carry over, and vice versa. In vanilla, you get points for killing badguys, and the focus is more of gladiatorial combat. In Arena, it is all about objectives (though you can get secondaries to help if you like to rack up the kills). To me, they are almost two different games. I'm in the process of prepping for NOVA, and I'm having to relearn everything (and adjust my instincts) as I focus on Arena. I do like it better though, and it isn't more complex or hard to learn than vanilla, just different.

Vanilla looks much better though. I like 3d gameboards, 3d terrain, it is just prettier.

Cheers,

After listening to the winner @ LVO using Gellerpox and some other podcasts on killt team at LVO using KT:Arena, im more inclined to get it for our local gaming club now and run a number of teams through it to test them for close confines vs standard KT boards.

After hearing how others have played on it, im liking it more and more

After listening to the winner @ LVO using Gellerpox and some other podcasts on killt team at LVO using KT:Arena, im more inclined to get it for our local gaming club now and run a number of teams through it to test them for close confines vs standard KT boards.

After hearing how others have played on it, im liking it more and more

Hate to nitpick, but the LVO 2019 Winner used 'nids, the Gellerpox player placed 3rd. I do prefer Arena to vanilla gameplay for the same reasons. It completely changes the meta. Elites seem to need to play for secondaries because they don't have the bodies for objective control (but they can still win games, just a very different strategy). 

Cheers,

I'm not one that can offer any sort of in-depth evaluation or comparison of product lines, rules lawyering, etc. but I have this to say:

Arena is fun!

I've played several 1v1 and 2v2, even a 3 person free for all; and we've had a blast every time. So far my Black Templar team have faced all-scouts Astartes, Deathwatch, Drukhari, and Tyranids on the Arena board; and hearts have been lifted and smashed by the drama of the dice. It's a fun game.

I bought Arena too and had a couple of games

This could be designed for competitive games but it's a lot of fun for narrative/campaign gaming too

In my group we Will use these Maps in out campaigns for sure (we are now 4 guys running the campaign with 1/2 more interested to join the group)