Legio Xestobiax....Grotsmasha gets overly optimistic....

Grotsmasha

So I arrived home from work today to discover my belated xmas presents have arrived...

gallery_48988_15143_20778.jpg

LEGIO XESTOBIAX

gallery_48988_15143_1776199.png

After scrolling through Legio after Legio on the wiki sites, I've settled on Xestobiax for two primary reasons

1- I wanted a purple Legio, so thats sorted.

2- After reading their history, I was sold, as their history aligns with my other 40k love, The Dark Angels. Legio Xestobiax fought on Prospero, FOR MAGNUS, against the Russ's forces and WEREN'T declared Excommunicatus.

Now I know that their official colours are Gold trim, but I'm giving serious consideration to either White or Black trim. I may even do different trims on different engines. I'll be starting assembly on the Reaver first tonight and have had a good read through of the instructions to familiarise myself with the layout. I'll be magnetizing the weapons, I just haven't decided if I'll be doing it at the shoulders or were the arms mount the guns.

Cheers,

Jono

On the magnetising front, if you want to be able to put melee weapons on, then magnetise at the shoulder. If you only want guns, then magnetising at the elbows would work. Some have done both, but I’m too lazy to go that far! Also, don’t bother with the cables going into the torso if you want to freely swap between melee and guns, it’s far too much faff!

Nice start, just afraid you'll hate me ...

it seems you got the top of the legs reversed (back seems in front), I can't see the details of the lower part, the stylised eagle should be on the back

If only the upper part is reversed, this is not a big deal.

Edited by Mendi Warrior

I'm a fan of magnitizing both the shoulder and the elbow on the reaver, slightly more work, but it gives maximum flexibility with weapons load out...5mmx1mm works for both spots, I can post some pics on how I did it if your interested. Edited by Rabenga

Nice start, just afraid you'll hate me ...

it seems you got the top of the legs reversed (back seems in front), I can't see the details of the lower part, the stylised eagle should be on the back

If only the upper part is reversed, this is not a big deal.

You had me worried for a moment, but yes the stylised Eagles are on the rear of the legs :tu:

How do you pronounce Xestiobiax?

To be honest, your guess is as good as mine, I've been rolling with zest-o-bax

I'm a fan of magnitizing both the shoulder and the elbow on the reaver, slightly more work, but it gives maximum flexibility with weapons load out...5mmx1mm works for both spots, I can post some pics on how I did it if your interested.

Unfortunately these models will probably never see battle, so the magnets will be for posability rather than swapping for battles. I just need to decide if I want the fist...

Cheers

Jono

So good progess, the build is 99% complete. Letting the glue on the shoulders completely dry before I carefully Razor saw them off again and magnetise them. Doing it this way will allow me to magnetise each arm once, whilst having both guns and the claw available. Then the last armour plates that will be attached post paint.

gallery_48988_15143_5331.jpg

Are you going to cut close to the gun or the shoulder? I glued my first Reaver too and kinda regret it lol.

I'll cut as tight up to the shoulders as I can

Yeah, I would HIGHLY recommend not assembling the model any further. I tried to keep all of mine as sub-assembled as possible (and I wish I had left most of the parts on the sprue to paint).

Yep, that's the plan :tu:

Leadbelcher and then Ironbreaker drybrush complete.

gallery_48988_15143_15858.jpg

with magnetized weapons and waist, the powerfist cable aligns to it's slot perfectly. No cables for the guns though.

gallery_48988_15143_38059.jpggallery_48988_15143_35335.jpggallery_48988_15143_30820.jpg

and the armour panels primed white,

gallery_48988_15143_45846.jpg

Cheers,

Jono

Are you doing any washes on the frame (frame meaning Titan frame not the spure)?

Yep. Nuln Oil all over. Depending on how dark the finish is I may then hit it with Necron Compound. Then I'll be picking out some of the larger joints (waist, knees) in Retributer.