Veterans and razorbacks

IronDreddKnight

Just be careful where you deploy it since it has no attacks and cannot move. Enemy may use this to be safe from your shooting.

This.  All of this. 

So many armies would just say "Thanks for the safe place!  Imma just hug this hunk of space junk so you cant shoot me.  Don't worry, I'll charge you next turn."

Hell, my astartes jump heroes could just beat at it with their fists while cackling.  They aint gonna kill it with combat weapons, and on your turn the hammers and force weapons come out.

Things a drop pod cannot do after delivery (but a Rhino/Razorback can)...

Provide LoS blocking that you control at all times

Eat overwatch

Slowdown and tie up melee threats

Redeploy a unit midgame 16" to 21" away (13" to 18" move plus advance, and 3" disembark)

How often you do those things from game to game doesn't matter so much as the fact that you have the option to. If you intend never to use the unit in any of the ways mentioned above, that's your prerogative. In that case, if the only thing you'll value is the points cost - choose a drop pod. That would be a mistake, though.

My struggle with the drop pod is that I would only need it if I want to deep strike 2 characters and a squad of vets. Now that termies are as cheap as they are, I (we?) rarely take just vets unless I grab my stalker/missile squad and stick them in cover.

And with the Beacon Angelis, you can spend the CP on a single unit of veterans and end up with 3 units on one flank thanks to a jump Captain.

Sounds legit for my ultramarines if I want to deep strike part of a Victrix Vanguard detachment: 1 Captain, 3 honor guard, 1 Ancient and 5 sternguard. Deathwatch could try some combo with HQs and a vet unit, but it will not be as efficient.

Eat overwatch

Redeploy a unit midgame 16" to 21" away (13" to 18" move plus advance, and 3" disembark)

I use Rhinos/Razorbacks a lot, and these are things that are incredibly useful. Hell, in my last game I screened two units of Wolf Guard to keep them safe from a big unit of Lootas just wiping them off the table. A Drop Pod simply could not do that, while costing more.

The amount of times I've used a Rhino/RB to tank overwatch for my melee units is uncountable; similarly for tying up a potentially dangerous threat to stall it.

Drop Pods are, simply, too expensive for the task they perform. While they can drop down and hold a midfield objective while your infantry go off to fight the enemy...so can a Rhino, for less points and more resilience, and more firepower.

Unfortunately the only use for a drop pod is painting it a different chapter colour and using it as LOS blocking terrain.

If you really want a deepstriking metal box than you take the FW termite assault drill. 106 points for 2 storm bolters,  a longer range inferno pistol and T8  (Nevermind, apparently you can't take these anymore, silly battlescribe).

Or you go for the terrax pattern assault drill and get a better meltagun and a crazy CC attack.

They are also adeptus astartes so benefit from bolter discipline lol

Eat overwatch

Thanks, these are some good examples of benefits/advantages of the Rhino/Razorback over the DP and exactly the type of info I've been looking for. :tu: 

Drop pods are just the worst of both worlds.  They have the same limitations of deepstrike while costing close to a rhino. In a game, I'll almost always use my 3 deepstrikes (as well as the beacon).  The fact that most of our characters can have jump packs or termi armor really helps with the 3 unit limit.  

When it come time to use our short range weaponry (Frag Cannon is the most prevalent),  the rhino can help it get into range faster and safer.

Archived