Calgar, Phil Kelly, and Primaris: The first of the 3rd Gen.

Prot

Phil Kelly got it the wrong way around in the voxcast. It says in the vigilus book the chance of failure is estimated to be 61.6%, not vice versa.

Thought the figures didn't ring true and DI confirms. The theory still fits though as the reason for the revival of the lucky 28.4% ;-)

Thanks for that clarification..... I listened to the Phil Kelly interview but haven't read Vigilus yet. So, 28.4% survival rate doesn't bode well for a wholesale chapter transformation to Primaris. I suppose depending on the personality of the Chapter, some would actually do just that, consequences be damned. Other more pragmatic chapters would take a more cautious approach. Poor Brother Lunkhead.....

'The Chapter Master looks down at the petition before him while the veteran Ultramarine stands before him, expectantly.

Marnius Calgar sighs and shakes his head, "I'm sorry Brother Lunkhead. Cool Mk X armour and a nifty new

bolt rifle is not justification enough for me to risk your life on the operating table. Request denied!"'

The low success rate is most likely just temporary. They got the idea and asked Cawl and he said at the moment it'll be like that but can be improved. It's just something that wasn't really part of what Guilliman asked him to work on the past 10k years so it's more like Cawl improvising a method on the fly for now without any real research or refining being done.

Debate raged as to whether such an act

was even possible without having deadly

consequences for the recipient – for data

that Archmagos Cawl had already amassed

on the subject suggested there would be a

61.6% failure rate until the process could

be perfected, which would take time.

Well to answer that we'd need to know the planned release schedule for Primaris I fear. Could be anything between a few months (who knows what exactly wave 2 is) and a  few years. :sweat:

Well to answer that we'd need to know the planned release schedule for Primaris I fear. Could be anything between a few months (who knows what exactly wave 2 is) and a  few years. :sweat:

It was actually just a rhetorical question, but thank you:smile.:

I also think it will be used as a way to "retire" some special characters that they don't want to transition to an updated model for sales and/or fluff reasons. 'Oh, he failed to cross the rubicon...we'll miss Captain Ventris'

Oh what an ignominious end that would be:sad.: I hope that doesn't happen..... just spiteful enough though I could see GW doing it:wink:

I hope that doesn't happen..... just spiteful enough though I could see GW doing it:wink:

Would be quite the snub - rather than an honourable death in glorious battle, this character died on the operating table during an elective procedure.

Well it could be done like the Dreadnought procedure. Character gets fataly wounded in glorious battle and the only options left were to either let him die, put him into a dreadnought (which the fewest survive) or let him try the Primaris upgrade. ^^

If a Space Marine is damaged enough for dreadnought internment, he is too damaged for anything else but the Emperor's Mercy:cry:

I couldn't see how someone damaged so bad as to be considered for interment in a dreadnaught chassis could survive a process that kills almost 70% of those who attempt it when in full health.

If a Space Marine is damaged enough for dreadnought internment, he is too damaged for anything else but the Emperor's Mercy:cry:

I couldn't see how someone damaged so bad as to be considered for interment in a dreadnaught chassis could survive a process that kills almost 70% of those who attempt it when in full health.

Technically it kills 100%.

Almost 70% fail to be revived.

Will we be getting new primaris heros, or will old heros be getting primaris upgrades?

My hope is both.

I must admit that I'm a bit conflicted..... This sort of change to iconic Old Marine Heroes is a bit unsettling. The new Calgar figure is quite nice but seeing all or most hero figures transformed into Primaris marines seems a bit silly on a fluff level (how many could actually survive the process..... well, all would of coarse$$$$$$$$$$$$)?

While I'm still a bit on the fence when it comes to the Primaris, I'm wondering if this might be a good time for a changing of the guard (as Old Marines are phased out) and begin introducing new heroes to replace the old..... new chapter masters, new champions, new reclusiarchs, etc. Not all at once of coarse, but over time as Old Marines go away:happy.: .

All very unsettling...…. Hopefully by the time we have to go through this again with the next generation of Uber Primaris Marines, I'll be falling asleep in my breakfast gruel at the Old Space Marines Home and it won't be my problem:wacko.:

Archived