Land Raider design flaw? Side doors and sponsons.

Well if we're going to talk about real life efficiency in this debate then sponsons shouldn't even be a thing, right? :wink:

Sponsons work perfectly fine so long as they don't compromise the armor integrity of the tank, which in 40k's case they don't because sponsons aren't manually controlled like in historical vehicles. Rather the stranger thing is the Crusader, as there's no reason to slap infantry rifles onto a bloody tank. Hurricane bolters make as much sense as a Namer (closest thing to a RL land raider) having 6 Galil's slapped on it.

Well if we're going to talk about real life efficiency in this debate then sponsons shouldn't even be a thing, right? :wink:

Sponsons are a real thing, they just fell out of favor during WW2 because increased armour meant vehicles were better with one very good gun rather than multiple guns and that gun was better off in a turret.

In their historical incarnation (a manned gun with an armored shield) they were also a glaring weakness in t

Imperial Guard tanks do have remote controlled sponsons too. The only one with manual sponsons is chimera firepoints.

Problem solved :smile.:

http://wh40k-fr.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/b/bb/L-R_Pride_of_Talassar.jpg

With the proliferation of Knights, especially Castellans ... this should be Astartes legal ;)

I've always put the sponsons the front. Whe I bought my first land raider that was the box art shown earlier in the thread. Lol.

Speaking of sponsons...

juMagW86_o.png

I'm quite fond of this one I test fitted earlier...

If Sponsons are so great in real life then why aren't militaries all over the world falling all over themselves to redesign vehicles to use them?

Sponsons look cool. Ergo why they end up on Imperial vehicles. Well that and the WW1 vibe the Imperial forces like to go for in the aesthetic.

If Sponsons are so great in real life then why aren't militaries all over the world falling all over themselves to redesign vehicles to use them?

Sponsons look cool. Ergo why they end up on Imperial vehicles. Well that and the WW1 vibe the Imperial forces like to go for in the aesthetic.

Because we don't have any weapons worth mounting as a sponson. The weapons that are worth mounting such as ATGM's (which in 40k is a hunter-killer) are mounted on top of the turret. Likewise our tanks aren't threatened by hordes of melee infantry armed with shaped charges or melee weapons able to cut through armor that would demand excessive firepower to protect the tank from getting swarmed.

First, I don't think anybody really made that claim. But we also don't have weapons big enough to require a sponson. When we eventually have people running around able to punch a hole in a tank, I imagine we'll need some beefier point defense weapons. 

But we also aren't religiously compelled to follow a mechanical creed that deems everything we create to be perfect, so there's that. Realistically, our solution to giant daemons slicing through our armour is probably not to keep building tracked armour. 

Because we don't have any weapons worth mounting as a sponson. The weapons that are worth mounting such as ATGM's (which in 40k is a hunter-killer) are mounted on top of the turret. Likewise our tanks aren't threatened by hordes of melee infantry armed with shaped charges or melee weapons able to cut through armor that would demand excessive firepower to protect the tank from getting swarmed.

That kind of actually is a problem when people move tanks into urban environments. We just didn't solve it that way is all...

None as dumb as the weapon placement on the Taurox Prime.

qkj9xno.jpg

Side weapons blasting into the doors, rockets firing into the hatch and pintle weapon.

And unlike LR there's no assault ramp or alt build.

I ask how these people grew up with GI Joe and made that crappy vehicle.

Best version would be hurricane bolters but with heavy bolters instead of bolt guns (so an array of 6 heavy bolters per sponson).

Problem solved :smile.:

http://wh40k-fr.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/b/bb/L-R_Pride_of_Talassar.jpg

With the proliferation of Knights, especially Castellans ... this should be Astartes legal :wink:

That´s just terminus ultra?

Nothing against cool "conversions" though~~

I ask how these people grew up with GI Joe and made that crappy vehicle.

Best version would be hurricane bolters but with heavy bolters instead of bolt guns (so an array of 6 heavy bolters per sponson).

I remember a FW Land Raider kit from years back that sported two twin linked heavy bolters on each sponsor... I think it was called the Prometheus variant...

Yea I went looking for it Robbienw after I posted, making an image link from mobile is a pain in the backside, so I thought I'd just leave it and hope someone else would link it for me...

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Land-Raider-Prometheus

99590101312_LandRaiderPrometheus02.jpg

Since it hasn't been linked in yet, I linked it in now. :yes:

Archived