In Service of the Death Lord - DuskRaider's AT Project

DuskRaider

The Storm Eagle is a Forumware kit. I found it on eBay a long time ago and haven't seen one since, unfortunately.

Honestly, Xiphons or even the Imperialis Aeronautica models would probably be a better mod for the Strategem (and it just so happens that there's a crashed Xiphon on the FW board), but u hate the Xiphon design, there was no IA at that time, and I really like the Storm Eagle design.

Really like the Storm Eagle design myself, and I figure it's only a matter of time till GW/FW gets around to doing it for Aeronautica.

There's always this on Thingiverse for those that aren't good at waiting...

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone,

Well I'm back. After probably the worst year of my life I have decided to pick up the paintbrush again and my first dip into the waters that are the hobby is Titanicus.

For the past two weeks I have been assembling two Warbringers (the two from last year technically), another Reaver and finally 16 Cerastus Knights for House Makabius (8 x Acheron and 8 x Castigator). I've been a busy little bee with these and have no only sub-assembled but have painted the metal and black, red and (some) white on the armour panels. The worst part is now to come with the trim but hopefully soon I'll have some new models to show off, albeit most likely not based as I'm still figuring out what supplies I've lost and whatnot.

Keep your eyes peeled, I hope this will be worth it.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I have hopes that 2021 will be a better year.

I'm now remembering how much I hate doing the trim on these... ugh. I should be done with the three Titans by week's end then I'll move on to the Banners. I'm really hoping GW releases the Warmaster soon... it may be pointless in normal games but I'm really looking forward to painting it up.

Yeah I'm looking forward to the warmaster too. We won't get them for a while though. If they're previewed in two sundays' time they'll go on preorder the week after that, so we're talking at least a month. Plenty of time for us to work on our existing piles of grey plastic.

I do shudder to think of people attempting to build the legs on those things. The AT community is excellent in many ways, but reading instructions does not seem to be one of our collective strong suits.

• 2 years later...

It’s been a long LONG time since I’ve updated this or even picked up a brush but here we are…

I’ve finally found the time and motivation to get back into the hobby, a big part thanks to Legions Imperialis. I had actually started work on my horde of Makabius Knights a few months back but never finished. Once I got to the trim I lost all motivation to keep going. I loathe painting trim and I hate gold paint even more (it seems to coagulate very quickly). 

I decided to go big with my re-introduction and have been working on my Warmaster for the past couple weeks now. It’s almost complete, I’m just painting the Plasma coils and adding decals and it’s on to the base. 

I’m usually not a big fan of posting WIP photos but I’m hoping it’ll give me the push I need to see this through and onto the ridiculous amount of other Titans and Knights I need to complete. Fingers crossed. 

IMG_4911.thumb.jpeg.888822224bfe9006b7b5b7f8f8081e68.jpeg

Next I have 8 Acheron, 8 Castigators, 6 or so Questoris, 2 Acastus, 2 Warbringers and 3 Reavers that are in various stages of assembly and painting. Wish me luck!

Welp… there we go. 

I present Cadaver DominiCarrion Lord. 

Eternum Vigilate Portas Perditionis

FFbPykI.jpg

bKDA8cL.jpg
ILxr8mo.jpg
c7181km.jpg

There’s some details here and there that I still need to do such as barrel and exhaust soot and give it a matte coat, but otherwise it’s done.

The Imperialis models *should* be easier. The one (and as far as I’m concerned only) advantage to Mk. VI armor is that there’s barely any trim. 

I’m now moving on to the Warbringers and Reaver that I started painting over two years ago. Of course really the only thing they need is the trim…

10 hours ago, Urauloth said:

Glad to see you back! Looking forward to seeing some more of your Makabius knights, they're some of my favourite things on this site.

I hope you mean AT Knights and not 40K, lol. I still have my Knight Abominant sitting in subassembly and only somewhat painted to this day. 

The horde of Knights will be next on the list for completion… or at the very least, the Cerastus will be. I believe the Questoris are assembled but not primed and the Acastus aren’t even assembled. 

Hell, I still have a city’s worth of buildings that need to be primed and painted along with the Realm of Battle board. So much stuff…

On 7/28/2023 at 8:28 AM, Mandragola said:

Great to see you back. I hope LI turns out to be as good as we all want it to be. I think personally I'll probably still prefer AT but it's good that epic will exist.

I’m with you on that. It seems as though Titans are going to be very uh… dumbed down in LI.

The complexity of the rules is one of the biggest draws to Titanicus for me. You always have to be two steps ahead of yourself in the game. Managing your reactors, pushing at the right time… every move you make has consequences. Titans aren’t easy to take down so when you do manage to get an Engine Kill it’s a big deal.

The game is incredibly immersive and while I’m really looking forward to commanding a massive army with the new Epic, I’m not sure if it will be the same experience as it is with Titanicus. 

I’ve finally convinced one of my friends to get into the game as well. Really, LI convinced him more than I’ve been able to over the past three or so years. He’s one of the ones that started 30K with me over a decade ago and has since sold his Iron Warriors, but the idea of recreating his army WITH Titans AND Knights and being able to fit it all in one case is just too tempting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update time…

I finished the first Warbringer. Actually, I finished him about a week ago but haven’t had time to upload pictures. 

I’ll be honest, I really don’t like it. I had assembled painted the majority of this one almost 3 years ago and then it just sat in a box along with the other one and a Reaver. I’m not a fan of the color scheme on this one and I never actually did a dry fit with the armor panels so there’s a gap in the shin armor on the trailing left leg due to the pistons being in the way. One of the carapace guns is also at an elevated angle compared to the other and that’s also setting me off. 

It is what it is. I really don’t know how much if actually field Warbringers anyhow, they don’t fit my play style well overall. 

Anyhow, here it is. Corona Angoris, Crown of Anguish. 

YDbAtM2.jpg
mtteASe.jpg
tQWHTdb.jpg
eP9mu0F.jpg

I’ve also finally taken pictures of my terrain! Mind you all of this is now also over 3 years old and some of them are better than others in term of build quality and whatnot, but here’s where we are. I’m going to start priming all of it soon and finally finish these damn things. 

As you can see with the size comparison, some of these are quite large. The Governor’s Palace is a copy of one that GW had shown years ago, albeit no where near as nice as theirs. Still, it’s huge and makes a good centerpiece on the board and blocks line of sight to even the largest Titans (so far). The same could be said for the big step-pyramid looking building. 

7qFBOu1.jpg
M9jo0jr.jpg
CGSvcX8.jpg
AucC08k.jpg
xdAufsk.jpg
NxBHOHV.jpg

There’s also a boatload of smaller scatter terrain including all of the containers, barrels, smaller tankers and such from the Industrial Set. 

I’ve also finished another Reaver and I just need to add decals. Originally it was going to be another Brawler, but I noticed a distinct lack of Melta in my Reaver collection so he’s packing some heat. Literally. Two more are on the docket after him and I’ve got my FW Titan weapons almost finished as far as painting goes. 

Until next time!

I think you're quite strict there. Your warbringer looks fine as a model, whether it fits your gaming preferences or not. And the terrain is an outright impressive display of what the civitas sets can become. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in some more colour, and I'm sure they make for an awesomely immersive gaming experience! Great stuff!

Do you have space to leave it built up? It's pretty much a display of its own, and putting it back into boxes between games would almost be a bit of a shame. :biggrin:

Edited by Tar Aldarion

7 hours ago, Tar Aldarion said:

I think you're quite strict there. Your warbringer looks fine as a model, whether it fits your gaming preferences or not. And the terrain is an outright impressive display of what the civitas sets can become. I'm very much looking forward to seeing it in some more colour, and I'm sure they make for an awesomely immersive gaming experience! Great stuff!

Do you have space to leave it built up? It's pretty much a display of its own, and putting it back into boxes between games would almost be a bit of a shame. :biggrin:

Thanks for the comment! I don’t know, there’s just something about the Warbringer and it’s scheme that seems off to me but I don’t know what it is. Maybe too much red. I think the Warbringer overall looks cool, I’m just not happy with mine. 

Id love to display these at all times but unfortunately I just don’t have the space. My buddy just bought a house and will have a HUGE room dedicated to just gaming so I may be bringing all of the Titanicus stuff there but we’ll see. One of the biggest issues is that I built a lot of these buildings with a complete disregard for my Realm of Battle board and so many won’t fit at all, lol

I’ll probably prime them soon but they’re so far back on the to-do list right now that I’m not sure when I’ll get to them. Presently I have to do these two other Reavers so I can run my Corsair list and stand a chance since back when I built my other Reavers I equipped them more in a support role and less to carry an entire list themselves. So far I have a Melta / Chain Fist Reaver finished and I’m going to build at least one with Melta / Gatling. The last one I’m struggling with… I know I want one arm to be Melta but the second I’m unsure of. Part of me wants to make it another Melta / Gatling but part of me is thinking a Laser arm would work or be better. The biggest concern is obviously stripping shields to get the most out of the Melta / Fusion so Gatling seems like a good idea due to strength in number of dice, but Shieldbane is pretty nice as well and can definitely lay the hurt down when voids are gone. 

7 hours ago, Sherrypie said:

I do love how the statues combine with the buildings, the vibe is just right.

I wish I could take credit for that one but GW did it first and I couldn’t help but copy them, lol. Theirs looks so awesome and I wish they would do more articles showing off the cool ways you can make use of the Civitas kit. 

22 hours ago, Achinadav said:

I like the warbringer. The red shoulders will make it distinctive in play, especially from the angle you get when standing over the able.

Thanks! I think the biggest issue I have is that I didn’t alternate the red / black as I usually do and as a result it kinda just looks like a brick to me. 

I’ve finished two Reavers now along with a plethora of FW weapons for the Warlord / Reaver chassis, I just need to get some pictures. I’m starting on the last Reaver and then I’ll move on to finishing my horde of Knights… though I’m tempted to start the terrain. 

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, time for a big update…

I’m going to have to split this into two separate posts because there’s a metric ton of (poor quality) pictures. I really need to get my photo box out of the attic. First update will be regarding my House Makabius…

I have finally finished my Cerastus Acheron and Castigators. Two full Banners of each, and the House grows exponentially. 

tsN3et6.jpg
zRIDG34.jpg
XdMh2A6.jpg
qnzviXl.jpg
a0OF7sH.jpg

…and here we have the House as it currently stands. At this point I have 9 Questoris left to fill out each individual Banner and one Acastus to give me a total of three. I still have to create the bases for the Cerastus which… at this point will probably be finished by next August at this rate. 

5JJfGN4.jpg

a0JMUmJ.jpg
YaJrSxj.jpg
DyYfssi.jpg
exHrbWe.jpg

Dx9fgqZ.jpg
s7qd2Pm.jpg

The next post will be my completed Titans. 

Alright… now that the Knights are out of the way, here come the big boys…

I’ve finished my three Reavers. Finally. I’ve also finished a bunch of Reaver carapace weaponry as well as FW Warlord weapons. So let’s get into it… oh, I still haven’t come up with proper names for these so when I do I’ll add them in. 

cKYwIfA.jpg
BBTIGnB.jpg
T9yWBEA.jpg
tSEG947.jpg
gMDlMqS.jpg
JMq54XY.jpg
NEvyN0I.jpg
hNjzaN9.jpg
tAK0Aim.jpg
B6NCuIu.jpg
39ExXjm.jpg

Here we have all of the Reavers together. I now feel much more confident about my loadout variety, particularly when constructing a Corsair Maniple. 

RE2LEgw.jpg

Next up are the various Warlord options. I’ve had some of these for quite some time now, particularly the Gatling Cannons, Quake Cannons and Las Carapace weaponry. 

dLO4zg7.jpg

Charnel Glory in it’s preferred loadout:

4RT8ROy.jpg

And one more for the hell of it because I am not photographing every possible loadout:

vGjqIso.jpg

There you have it. Now I have a lot of basing to do as well as the last of the Knights… and then their bases… what have I done to myself??