In Service of the Death Lord - DuskRaider's AT Project

DuskRaider

Well believe it or not I'm already almost done with the trim then it's little odds and ends here and there and it'll be done. Seems like I can do a Warhound every 24 hours or so, which bodes well for the rest of my vow and will give me more than enough time to finish the bases and revow. I already have another Warlord on the way and I'm eager to pick up the new Reaver plus finish out my Warhound pack.

Thanks TDA! From what I can tell they scale up perfectly for an 8' tall superhuman.

My second Warhound is finished. I'm still not sure how I feel about it, I wanted to go with primarily black but I'm unsure if it fits in with everything else. I've got background fluff for the Titans but I'll wait until the end of the Event to go all out on that.

Exialtis Vigilate
dcvLku9.jpg
cMs90uS.jpg
1ynG9KF.jpg
bluypLA.jpg

... and with Mors Planctum...
NX16rSI.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider

Thanks Mendi! I'm still not 100% sold on it but there's no going back now. I do think it adds some variety to the mix, especially considering now that we've seen the Lupercal Maniple and large hunting packs of Warhounds are something Mortis is infamous for. I see many more Warhounds in my future (or heavily armed Warlords and Reavers to take advantage of the Trait).

Oh! That also reminds me, I ordered some new plates from Versatile Terrain. I think it will add a nice touch to the Titans and further push their individuality.

Edited by DuskRaider

Thanks man! The way I view Mortis' scheme is it's two primary colors; red and black; with black being the main color. White is an occasionally used color, but the other two are what makes it Mortis. Black should be the dominant color as it just doesn't look right when red is the main coloration IMO.

I've seen some people incorporate yellow to a degree for hazard stripes here and there and it works well but it's not for me. My next one I'm working some white in to give variation. We'll see how it goes but I'm eager to see if the vision in my head can be properly translated to the model.

Edited by DuskRaider

I know what you mean: I'd use white (or off-white) for heads, and maybe the odd knee - but the scheme is driven through the interplay between the black and red for sure! I'll look forward to seeing what you do with it.

(I also love hazard stripes, I think mine will be tiny - and only in very specific places!)

If done correctly, I think white can be further dispersed than just heads or small areas. It should only interact with black to avoid coming off as Atarus or something, however. This is what I'm going to attempt with this next one, we'll see how it turns out.

Hmmmm... after watching a review of the Titandeath book I'm a little more optimistic about Mortis' rules. I like they can ignore the effects of damage (not ignore the damage itself but just what it does to them) and their Pitiless rule is pretty nice and fluffy. The free move at the beginning of the game is particularly nice and helps get them in the thick of it quicker.

I'm still not impressed with the Legio trait since it's so situational and extremely difficult if not impossible to get any real benefit out of it (how many Titans is one single model going to take out in one game??). The boost to Bolters and Missile Launchers is a bit useless as well for the time being.

Third Warhound is now finished...

This one was another experiment of sorts, much like Exialtis Vigilate. I wanted to incorporate white into the scheme without limiting it to the head or occasional tiny pad. I've seen some illustrations from some of the FW Heresy books that show Mortis with white hazard stripes on a part of one of the Titans and while I don't really view white as an essential color for Mortis (and while painting this pondered if it would actually obscure the Legio identity) I'm actually quite pleased with the result. Originally both shin guards were to have the same pattern (black / white outside, red inside) but I goofed on the right-hand guard's striping so it simply became black, something which I'm actually pleased with. I think if it had carried the black and white theme there as well it would have risked going overboard. 

Unfortunately I'm going to have to hold off on the last Warhound for now. I seem to have lost the hatch for one of the weapon arms, one of the pieces just before the ball joint. I'm going to have to figure something out because it looks horrible missing and I'm hesitant to just place something there and hope it blends well. So I think now it's on to my second Reaver (first for the Event). So for now I present to you...

Ruinae Thronum

GYHq64mh.jpg

ThQvWvfh.jpg

77qDikhh.jpg

XZjA6IVh.jpg

All three completed Warhounds together

qBfWK3Gh.jpg

My bases are all ready, I just need to re-spray them with primer after replacing the Marines. The first time I primed them it was like 25F out so the primer didn't go on well anyhow. I think there's pictures of some of them on the first page.

The bases will probably be dark gray like volcanic Ash with lighter grey / white ruins evoking an image of Roman ruins. A lot of neutral colors to ensure the Titans remain the center of attention.

Oh, and obviously paint the Death Guard pieces their Legion coloration.

Edited by DuskRaider

Ignis Judicii ready to wage war.

yfZSgpNh.jpg

0lB4RVPh.jpg

xLgpCTIh.jpg

0MFIFprh.jpg

All four Warhounds completed thus far

vVhMu9mh.jpg

Now all I have left is the Warlord Spoliari Gloria, the bases and then... well... I'll actually be re-vowing. I'm currently staring at another Warlord, two Reavers and two Warhounds now ready for paint application and the chance to serve the Death Lord as well.