In Service of the Death Lord - DuskRaider's AT Project

DuskRaider

A quick visual

gallery_116407_15011_5955.jpg

A couple of suggestions.

If you build such a bridge again, make it into at least 3 parts and use foamboard and/or plasticard to use as understructure for the part joining the towers and the bridge. Add magnets so that you can use the 3 parts as standalone, this requires 4 face modules to cover the understructure. Make sure the magnets are correctly aligned, otherwise the towers might repulse the bridge.

Work with modules, make each floor separate so they can be rearranged, use plasticard for the roof / floor, saving roof tiles wherever possible.

This bridge would be 13 modules in total: 2 x ground floor / entrances + 6 x floor + 1 x bridge + 4 x cover faces (for use as standalone buildings)

These are ideas I have already tried or (the magnets) are high on my list for modular terrain.

Some inspiration for ruins http://epic-fr.niceboard.com/t7832p25-cda-7-el-luce

Edited by Mendi Warrior

Oof... Yeah, that's a hell of a lot of work to do on this and it definitely makes me think twice about attempting this again. At least this large.

I think from now on I'll be sticking to more simple designs, although if I had used my head and interlocked the pieces correctly I wouldn't be in this jam to begin with.

No obligations, these are just my ideas on how I would tackle the challenge of rectifying things. And I know I can sometimes be a bit crazy :biggrin.:

Up to you to decide how much more efforts you want to put into this. Doesn't need to be right now, doesn't need to be each and every steps I mentioned. Doesn't even need to be anything, as it is right now, it is a slightly derelict tower, with the rationale I mentioned. Just add paint and weathering to reinforce that narrative.

Another idea, put it upside down and measure how much difference there is between the left and right towers for the bridge to be perfectly aligned. Once you have the precise measure, add a base to the building with the appropriate thickness on the left and right parts. This might require using clamps.

The last suggestions in my previous post are only for new buildings. I don't think you need to shy away from the more complex designs, just put more planning into these. For me, a lot of dry fitting and measuring helps.

I tore the bridge apart. I may cannibalize parts of it for the warehouse I'm building, if they're salvageable. With the dilapidated tower, I'm considering doing away with the story that has the most blatant issues and making it shorter instead of using it make ruins. I'll have to play around with it and see what I can come up with.

Yeah, definitely. The intact tower is good for the most part. There's a slight gap on one corner but it's barely noticeable. The other I've taken apart and may replace the base floor as well since I have so many of the foundation tiles left over.

I've got to remember to take pics of the Lancers as well, I finished them the other day and applied transfers yesterday. I also ordered another box of Questoris Knights in anticipation of Doom of Molech. Here's hoping they give us more options, though... and detailed Knight Household transfers, I'm just about out of tiny detailed Makabius decals (and FW was daft enough to make them OOP).

Thanks for the advice guys, my kids have a metric ton of Legos and I'll give that a whirl.

The bridge (and leaning tower) have been ripped apart. So has the loading dock, it didn't work out and I'm pissed at the amount of wasted parts. I'll go back to it tonight hopefully.

I finally got around to taking pictures of the two latest Lancers. As usual, these models are a pleasure to assemble and paint.

I have another box of Questoris Knights that I need to assemble, but I'll be honest... after reading the news that the only Knight Households that will be covered hail from Molech, it's definitely put a damper on my excitement and motivation. I suppose just having basic rules should be enough but it really isn't. *sigh*

I97HR6v.jpg

Qrfadqb.jpg

ZgSpwXh.jpg

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed doing these, especially the last two. I'm glad I was able to find the best recipe for the buildings and I think it kicked these guys up a notch. Same with the weathering powder, I think it pushes them that extra inch.

Great work on your Makabius Lance :)

Will you get an extra 3 Questoris so you can play them as standalone army (according to Andy on the stream, banners will need the same weapons which would suck imo ...)?

Thanks Lady!

I probably will pick up another box. Like I said, I'm disappointed they're focusing on unknown Households instead of established ones (even just ones they've established for AT).

The only problem I have is with all of the Knights being required to have the same weaponry. I was going to build a couple Gallants but it looks like that's not happening.

Edited by DuskRaider

so, are there any plans to biuld "trophies" to adorn any of these Titans? after all I find Mortus's habbit to bolting or chaining bits of their slayn foes to their Titans to be their most interesting feature, and the fact that there are always a few spare amor and head peices left over from each kit give ample fodder to make something without the need to buy a whole titan just to butcher it for parts(though the weapon sprues that are sold separately coming with heads gives you plenty of options if you pick any of those up as well).

Thanks Mendi!

@RipOff: no, I don't foresee any of that happening. I took it more as the corpses of enemy Titans were plastered on the carapaces. At 8mm that would be extremely difficult and I think they would look like a crab fastening junk to their shell.

@RipOff: no, I don't foresee any of that happening. I took it more as the corpses of enemy Titans were plastered on the carapaces. At 8mm that would be extremely difficult and I think they would look like a crab fastening junk to their shell.

hmm, an interesting interpretation, though not one I'd likely do if I ever decide to build the Mortus Warlord that's in my head... if only because draping the trophies over the top would likely require locking down the specific carapace weapons buy burying them in the wreckage.

No, I mean it would look horrible.

oh, sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you saying "they'd look like a crab with junk festering on their shell" as a good thing, sense festering of any type would be a fitting image for something that will eventually be in service to Nurgle; it would be like having an entire scrapyard hoisted on their back with the upper edges of the shoulder armor extended both upwards and inwards to cover in-between the two sides to create a single massive cesspool of wreckage(again, creating an issue of where the carapace weapons would fit/go, especially if one wanted to keep them removable so different ones could be swapped out). 

I'm sure something cool could be done with it in the vain of Wilhelm or whatnot with his Warlord topped by a boat. I've seen a couple of cool Titans like that, but it's a very... unique style that takes a lot of effort to get right.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick WIP... I've finally started on the box of Questoris Knights I've had lying around. I'm building them as Gallants because... well, why not? I'm using Kromlech Servo Skulls as the heads and FW 30K Marine Power Fists for the Thunderstrike Gauntlets. I think the proportions work well with the model. I'm also replacing the Ork skull I used on one of the first six Knights, these work much better.

I had to prop this guy up because otherwise he'll topple over since I have him hunched a bit.

lSLwWi4.jpg

Edit: All three

EPrsaw1.jpg

Edit (yet again):

I've gone back and swapped two of the Chainswords for ranged weapons (Thermal Cannon and Rapid Fire Battle Cannon) and kept just one as a Gallant. He'll be the 30K version of my heavily mutated Chaos Knight Gallant, Canticum Carnifici.

This guy:

S6EGMb3.jpg

Edited by DuskRaider