Dealing with hordes

dbecer01

*laughs in inferno bolter*

I played a couple proxy games to decide if I wanted to invest in rubric marines. The problem I ran into was the need to leave cover and constantly put the rubrics in charge range so I could double tap. With this, I can dark matter crystal a squad into position in cover in the middle of the board turn one, and just stay there for the rest of the game and still double tap forever. I was already leaning towards going rubric heavy with either some aggressive tzangors or allied bikers or something, and this just really seals the deal for me. Sold.

Edit: add in some aggressive terminators always shooting 4 shots, and i’m So down. Goodbye guard units guarding russes.

Edit 2; 3 detatchments, one thousand sons and one of alpha legion and one fast attack detatchment of world eaters bikers. Infiltrate and Shoot the bikers and ram them into something turn one. Turn 2, the thousand sons webway strike rubrics into what was just cleared out, and the bikers run up and shoot + ram into something again. Alpha legion cultists hold back objectives. Idk if it’s competitive, but I like it.

Edit3: so a rhino with 2 combi bolters and the inferno bolts strat throws out 8 shots at ap-2 the whole time? Sounds like an actual decent output for a metal box.

*laughs in inferno bolter*

I played a couple proxy games to decide if I wanted to invest in rubric marines. The problem I ran into was the need to leave cover and constantly put the rubrics in charge range so I could double tap. With this, I can dark matter crystal a squad into position in cover in the middle of the board turn one, and just stay there for the rest of the game and still double tap forever. I was already leaning towards going rubric heavy with either some aggressive tzangors or allied bikers or something, and this just really seals the deal for me. Sold.

Edit: add in some aggressive terminators always shooting 4 shots, and i’m So down. Goodbye guard units guarding russes.

Edit 2; 3 detatchments, one thousand sons and one of alpha legion and one fast attack detatchment of world eaters bikers. Infiltrate and Shoot the bikers and ram them into something turn one. Turn 2, the thousand sons webway strike rubrics into what was just cleared out, and the bikers run up and shoot + ram into something again. Alpha legion cultists hold back objectives. Idk if it’s competitive, but I like it.

Edit3: so a rhino with 2 combi bolters and the inferno bolts strat throws out 8 shots at ap-2 the whole time? Sounds like an actual decent output for a metal box.

On the DMC point, I totally agree. throwing a blob of 20 into cover somewhere in a vantage point will be brutal.

Edit 2 is odd, how to you infiltrate world eater bikes?

Edit 3 though is wrong.

The inferno bolt strat only effects one gun and is still trash.

Had it effected all guns, it would still be iffy.

For 2CP, yes (one per weapon). I'd rather put those 2CP on a dual Fist Helbrute or Contemptor, but it could work on a Rhino. If you're going that route, don't forget the Havoc Launcher. :)

Scarabs are now a lot scarier coming out of deep strike because they can drop in a safe position, probably in cover, and still murder things. Fire Frenzy on a dual Fist Helbrute could be fun too.

@boomwolf, if you take alpha legion, you can use forward operatives to target the world eaters bikes, yeah? It says <heretic Astartes> not <alpha legion>, doesn’t it?

That’s a shame about inferno bolts on a rhino. Yeah I’m that case I’d rather save them too.

No, quite clearly it says alpha legion infantry.

So you broke the stratagem limits twice.

@boomwolf, if you take alpha legion, you can use forward operatives to target the world eaters bikes, yeah? It says <heretic Astartes> not <alpha legion>, doesn’t it?

That’s a shame about inferno bolts on a rhino. Yeah I’m that case I’d rather save them too.

Oh my, I'm going to have to have a word with the guy at my LGS who has been infiltrating giant squads of world eaters berserkers and bikers then.  That makes it alot less stupid to deal with.  Still though, infiltrating some alpha legion bikers or warp talons would also be quite good to clear the way for some rubrics to webway strike in after.

Oh my, I'm going to have to have a word with the guy at my LGS who has been infiltrating giant squads of world eaters berserkers and bikers then.  That makes it alot less stupid to deal with.  Still though, infiltrating some alpha legion bikers or warp talons would also be quite good to clear the way for some rubrics to webway strike in after.

You are still not allowed to infiltrate alpha legion bikers. :D

If the zerkers are alpha legion zerkers-its legal (they could be, as elites.)

Bikes are never legal.

Also, if you are using beta tactical reserves, take note that it also modifies that stratagem.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but the new rules specifically states: "if it did not move in its previous movement phase". I don't see why one couldn't use warptime and still be able to move ans shoot twice at 24" on rubric marines. 

So whats the best unit to take and Max out ? Pt's are relatively close between 20 Rubrics base, and 10 SOT's base. Give or take 20 or 30 pts?

I do like filling troops slots... my gut feeling is to try and squeeze the Rubrics into a list. 

Hm same amount of wounds but SOTs have Sv2+. However SOTs are also more vulnerable to multi-damage weapons since unlike in AoS those don't spill over. I guess it kinda balances out in that regard.

Having twice as many models allows you to cover more of the board and contest objectives better. Doubly so if its a Troop choice. So I'd say the point goes towards Rubrics here. The real advantage of SOTs is being able to move and double tap outside of half range unlike Rubrics who would have to be stationary for that. And of course being able to deep strike just like that. ^^

I'd probably favor SOT in some situations. Give them 2 hellfire racks and Vets of the Long War and and they'll clean up. Otherwise, yeah, rubrics are easier to fit into a list since they're troops.

Will Rubrics be able to move and still get double shots?

Not unless it gets Errata'd. Send GW a mail and ask for it and you might get lucky. :wink:

I wouldn't mind it if we got an amendment. A new slow and purposeful that changes it from "can move and fire heavy weapons" to "always counts as stationary when shooting". Giving us the ability to shoot twice at 24" with inferno bolters on the move. To help balance this, rubrics roll 2d6 and pick the lowest to advance. Or something of that nature.

Archived