Dealing with hordes

dbecer01

You’re still further penalizing a unit with inherent low movement. I hate random penalties or effects, but there’s an army for those that do.

It would still be a buff tho. Currently you can't advance&shoot the Bolter anyway but you also don't automatically count as stationary when shooting. With the special rule Ahzek451 proposed you could advance and still shoot even if the advance wouldn't be as good as for other units (then again, when do you actually Advance Rubrics unless it's a full flamer unit anyway?).

You’re still further penalizing a unit with inherent low movement. I hate random penalties or effects, but there’s an army for those that do.

I see and understand your point. In the end its an idea and not a rule heh. When I come up with rules, I prefer to gear them towards the fluff. If slow is the penalty with a crappy advance roll, then that is ok. The sons are supposed to be slow marching statues laying down a hailstorm of fire. I would be ok with dealing with that speed since it is fluffy. Let the other speedier units run forward. :wink:

The bolter rule changes my entire play style. Since 2007 I have been trying to get those good bolters within Rapid Fire range as quickly as possible. Now, I have no interest in getting close unless there is an objective there. Depending upon opponent, I might not even teleport the Scarabs in anymore. 

The downside is that Webway Infiltration is damn near worthless

Is it? Instead of trying to run your marines to a place in the middle of the board or whatever, you can just deep strike them there. In the couple games I’ve played, I’ve almost always been able to set up a unit in terrain while still being in rapid fire range. If your opponent moves forward and leaves their back line unprotected, you can also choose to deep strike there. And tzangors didn’t change at all if you were throwing a fat blob of them in reserve. Imo, the beta rule just means i’m More likely to use webway infiltration imo.

I keep thinking about this on a few levels.... it is very good no matter how I look at it. It helps us s lot and although I play both SoT and Rubrics, I lean towards SoT for the missiles which help in my meta a lot and the deep strike option is a luxury, even if there is less incentive to use it now.

But I agree with you guys about the desire to deploy them now. Between reserve nerfs and the fact my SoT hate CC there’s only a few cases I see deepstriking them now.

Frankly I’m very excited about this. I love both of these iconic units immensely and the idea of Rubrics in cover staying still, laying down blankets of Bolter fire while on an objective seems so.... proper. :tu:

Keep in mind that deploying them regularly still involves the risk of losing them in an alpha strike so there's still merit to putting them into reserves even if it's just as a defensive decision.

Keep in mind that deploying them regularly still involves the risk of losing them in an alpha strike so there's still merit to putting them into reserves even if it's just as a defensive decision.

That's how i feel. My newest list has 2 x5 Rubric squads in a rhino with double combi bolter and deepstrike SOT terminators. I haven't played it yet but i think it shows promise.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about you guys, but seeing as the beta bolter rules are let out into the world for players to test and send in feedback I figured it would be a good opportunity for us to throw an email their way at possibly amending the all is dust rule for us. 

The points drop in the chapter approved was great, but just imagine if they changed all is dust to say: counts as stationary for heavy AND rapid fire weapons. It would be a narrative fit and balance fit to make rubrics damn near perfect IMHO. This would allow rubrics to move and fire bolters at 24" with 2 shots. Awesome! 

Granted primaris would still have the edge as they shoot at 30" and with a 5" move plus 24" we stop short at 1" away haha. But I would be stoked! 

Slow and purposeful. 

40kfaq@gwplc.com

Archived