Ultramarines Vanguard builds

Captain Idaho

What do people consider decent builds for Ultramarines Vanguard?

We have a number of things to consider for example Scions of Guilliman when away from a Captain, Victrix Guard bonuses and armaments.

Power Fists are great when you consider the unit alongside a Victrix Guard captain since you can use Fight Like Demigods, but is that extra points cost worth it over cheaper options? Is it worth it when the Captain is no more?

I like Axes, but usually it's a sprinkle of Hammers and Shields. I keep it very simple but the unit has produced very well for me so far. I don't like to overcomplicate the squad because it usually has one goal.... taking out the elite tough guy/unit.

When I was first building for a squad, I was giving too much stuff and was then pondering what uses the squad should be.

Like most, I've gone for a more simple group of squads. One will be anti-infantry with 3 lightning claws, 2 SS and chain swords, and the rest with dual chain swords. Bigger targets will get the powerfist squad, it has a sgt with relic blade, 2 powerfist/chain swords, 2 SS/chain swords, rest dual chain swords. I have been looking at a power ax group as well, probably a couple power ax/SS, a couple power sword/SS, and the rest dual chain swords.

I did a 10 man power sword, plasma pistol. no jump packs. 

While I agree this will not be the best set up I really enjoy it with the banner. 

I did magnetized four members for other weapon options. shield and hammers.

I was really tempted by 10 pairs of lightning claws.

I like Axes, but usually it's a sprinkle of Hammers and Shields. I keep it very simple but the unit has produced very well for me so far. I don't like to overcomplicate the squad because it usually has one goal.... taking out the elite tough guy/unit.

Interesting. I was considering 5 Power Fists but do you think this is over kill?

I see many folk here are using basic power weapons that do D1. It's making me think about adding a bunch of Axes as a cheaper way of cutting down the enemy though D3 damage is pretty tasty.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit late here, but could I get a clarification on the interaction with rerolls and powerfirst -1 to hit. 

Rerolls are done before modifiers? So if a vanguard model with WS 3+ with a powerfist was in range of a chaplain aura. A roll of 1 and 2 you could reroll, 3 would be a miss, and 4, 5, 6  would hit?

Bit late here, but could I get a clarification on the interaction with rerolls and powerfirst -1 to hit.

Rerolls are done before modifiers? So if a vanguard model with WS 3+ with a powerfist was in range of a chaplain aura. A roll of 1 and 2 you could reroll, 3 would be a miss, and 4, 5, 6 would hit?

*Correction*

yep that's right.

Rerolls are done before modifiers? So if a vanguard model with WS 3+ with a powerfist was in range of a chaplain aura. A roll of 1 and 2 you could reroll, 3 would be a miss, and 4, 5, 6  would hit?

As Ishagu said, you've got it right.

Likewise, if you had a Captain in support you'd re-roll 1s to hit, then after re-rolls 1s, 2s and 3s would miss.

Sadly, re-rolls can't counter a power fists -1. Not even Guilliman's tactical prowess can overcome the derp! :p

So Fight Like Demigods is amazing. Made such a difference to Vanguard with power fists.

Remember that fluff where Vanguard are supposed to kill enemy commanders? With a bunch of Power Fists and Jump Packs they really can now.

I toyed with the idea (but never tested) a Victrix Guard force of 10 vanguard, all with thunder hammers and storm shields, riding inside a Landraider crusader with the captain (who had the warden of ultramar warlord trait) and a standard bearer with the standard of macragge. Those who frequented the Victrix Guard thread are probably familiar with what I'm saying. The idea would be to put your 10 vanguard, captain, and standard bearer into the landraider, keep a tigurius hidden behind the landraider so that he could give it -1 to getting shot at, and then drive the landraider towards the enemy.

Then, in one turn, do the massive amount of damage possible with stratagems like "Honour the Chapter", "Fight Like Demigods", the relic "Standard of Macragge", and the warlord trait "Warden of Ultramar". I can't remember the math I did, but I think this combo resulted in something like 70+ thunder hammer swings in one turn, hitting on 3s (instead of 4s), rerolling 1s to hit and rerolling all failed wounds for one turn. 

I would have tested this in actual games, but as some of you might know from the Indomitus Crusaders thread, I fell in love with spamming intercessors + Guilliman (or Capt + Leuitenant instead of Gman). So I never got around to testing the Victrix Guard formation in actual play. Anyway, I don't think I'll ever get around to testing this idea any time soon, so if anyone has done it, it would be cool to read a batrep. I expect 70+ thunderhammer swings with full rerolls to insta kill a knight no problem. Would be cool to actually see it in action, though.

I think that's a fun concept but harder to pull off than dudes with jump packs. I do like the theme though and it sounds like something I'd try, but of course I'm running pure Indomnitus Crusade type lists lately. This sounds fun... if you can make it there. In part this is why I've been playing a Repulsor and Landraider each game. Pretty much one dies a turn, and the other gets dented.

Archived