Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 661 posts
Wonder why you cant buy this on Amazon UK?

So psyched for this book. All your comments are so positive. Truly hope Peter’s work manages to reach a wide enough audience to mean he is earning enough from writing to devote more time to it (his “real” job is as a TV and trailer editor).

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,154 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

So psyched for this book. All your comments are so positive. Truly hope Peter’s work manages to reach a wide enough audience to mean he is earning enough from writing to devote more time to it (his “real” job is as a TV and trailer editor).

Amazon don’t seem to do the hardbacks. You can preorder the paperback off of amazon for like October though.

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 661 posts

Amazon don’t seem to do the hardbacks. You can preorder the paperback off of amazon for like October though.

Except that must be a new thing as i bought BL hardbacks from Amazon many times... most recently Anarch?

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,004 posts
Been hearing some high praise of Peter's work.

What are the titles and reading order of Peter's stories related to Dark Coil?

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 661 posts

Been hearing some high praise of Peter's work.

What are the titles and reading order of Peter's stories related to Dark Coil?

Take a look at my post on page one ;-)

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,544 posts

This was so good. I don't even know where to start. Fire Caste still pips it as Ferhervari's best but only by a hair. Wonderfully playful use of voice with Sister Asenath and especially the narratorial voice towards the end. This is so much more twistily complex and self-consciously literary (in the best way) than even most of the other books we reach for when we think of 'good' BL works.

EDIT: just thinking here about when this is set and how it relates to the Great Rift and 'current 40k', and how refreshing it is for that not to matter. Like, almost at all. It's not cut off but Fehervari is doing incredible work in 40k as a setting (a setting with a wider metanarrative, as ADB says, which Ferhervari barely touches and his own Sabbat Worlds-esque corner in which things can still be consequential).

DarkChaplain's earlier point about the interchangeability of some 40k subject matter rings true here too, I think. The Arkhan Confederates in Fire Caste or the Void Breachers in Requiem Infernal are perfectly representative of the wide variety of forms that the imperial guard can take in a big galaxy. They're interchangeable in that they're not important on a galactic scale and their messy ends go broadly unheralded but they still have their own deep, fleshed-out, situational, context-specific histories and cultures.

They're redshirts in a sense, so there's less interest in looking at Fehervari's books and going 'ah, now we know this about the Iron Hands/mid-crusade imperial culture/the relationships between these primarchs' in the way we do in the heresy novels, but they are still so far from generic tabletop guardsmen from central casting. Same for the Sisters of the Last Candle. Same for the Angels Resplendant/Penitent. On one level they're nothing special or that out of the ordinary in lore terms but they're so real and significant depsite it.

@b1soul: I would second DukeLeto69's and DarkChaplain's posts on the first page but when the author himself identifies it as a 'non-linear emergant metanarrative', a coil or spiral that deliberately loops on itself and can be read in different ways with different meanings, publication order might be the best way simply by default.

There was also a post on reddit that covers some of the shared subject matter (which doesn't even cover the probably more significant thematic or metaphorical links) and has various thoughts on different ways to read his work: https://www.reddit.c...m_infernal_new/

Edited by Sandlemad, 18 April 2019 - 09:22 AM.

• DukeLeto69 likes this

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,004 posts
Thanks guys, this is great

Spoiler

DukeLeto69

DukeLeto69

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 661 posts
@sandlemad when you say...

"EDIT: just thinking here about when this is set and how it relates to the Great Rift and 'current 40k', and how refreshing it is for that not to matter. Like, almost at all..."

Peter Fehervari has said that RI is set about 1,000 years before CotSD. The latter was set in the "present" at a time before GW invented the Great Rift. So in both books the Great Rift isn't a thing anyway.

However, agree with your sentiment that PF is carving out his own Sabbat Worlds style dark (coil) corner of the 40k universe.

Sandlemad

Sandlemad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,544 posts

@sandlemad when you say...

"EDIT: just thinking here about when this is set and how it relates to the Great Rift and 'current 40k', and how refreshing it is for that not to matter. Like, almost at all..."

Peter Fehervari has said that RI is set about 1,000 years before CotSD. The latter was set in the "present" at a time before GW invented the Great Rift. So in both books the Great Rift isn't a thing anyway.

However, agree with your sentiment that PF is carving out his own Sabbat Worlds style dark (coil) corner of the 40k universe.

Oh absolutely, Fehervari's made a corner where the sequence of events and timescales (and how they loop and twist) are actually quite important - before/after the Angels Resplendant became the Angels Penitent, when the Arkhan worlds joined the imperium and have 1000 years of compliance by Fire Caste, when any of his mysterious stranger characters arrive on other worlds - but it's all done without reference to the big events of the galaxy, even those before the Great Rift.

Like in Requiem Infernal we see Father Deliverance leading what was clearly a fairly large crusade taking quite a number of worlds, with thousands of troops, a chapter of astartes and large scale Sororitas support. It's a big deal and in how it ends it's unique and deeply significant but on a galactic scale, it's clearly the kind of thing that happens all over the place. Broadly you could say it's characteristic of the kinds of events that happened in the Imperium during the time of waning (M38 to M41) but there's no need to do so, and it's more meaningful for his corner of the galaxy than 40k as a whole.

SchultzChaos

SchultzChaos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts
  • Faction: [ERROR]
Hello guys and gals.

I’ve just started Requiem (and I’ve read Fire Caste and Cult, though it was just named Genestealer Cult when I bought it) and is there something I should know/remember from previous works before I dwell to deep?

aa.logan

aa.logan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 106 posts
  • Faction: Tanks

Hello guys and gals.
I’ve just started Requiem (and I’ve read Fire Caste and Cult, though it was just named Genestealer Cult when I bought it) and is there something I should know/remember from previous works before I dwell to deep?

I enjoyed it fine with only vague memories from those two books- it works well as a stand-alone book.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users