Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil

Fire Golem

Sounds to me like they could be the best 40k novels

For me, at the moment, the absolute best of BL's sleeper hit authors are Fehervari and Harrison. I have just yet to find anything of Peter's that I haven't adored, and RI really comes across as the zenith of it all.

I cannot wait for his next novel, especially since it looks to be about the Resplendent/Penitent.

How do you know PF's next book will be about the Resplendent/Penitent?

I would love some info on what he's writing next!

Sounds to me like they could be the best 40k novels

For me, at the moment, the absolute best of BL's sleeper hit authors are Fehervari and Harrison. I have just yet to find anything of Peter's that I haven't adored, and RI really comes across as the zenith of it all.

I cannot wait for his next novel, especially since it looks to be about the Resplendent/Penitent.

How do you know PF's next book will be about the Resplendent/Penitent?

I would love some info on what he's writing next!

He's mentioned it in an interview. I think it's Track of Worlds, but he's definitely said it somewhere quite recently. Also, something about being set on/in a desert since he's never really written that.

I'm pretty stoked to see him tackle a desert world, to be frank. The worlds Peter writes are just as much of a cast member as the other characters. He gives them a pretty distinct identity and their influences are felt throughout the narrative and beyond. While most authors' worlds are generally interchangeable under their archetype, Fehervari makes them a relevant part of the story that one will remember. Be it Phaedra, Oblazt or Redemption/Vytarn, they're places hard to truly forget.

I read Fire Caste a few months ago and it didn't wow me

Review :

This was my first go at a Peter Fehervari novel.

I struggled with this one. It has a bit of an ensemble cast. The protagonist in the blurb was absent for a huge amount of the book. There were too many characters early on. A lot of ideas were thrown in for one book (maybe). The structure was complex - flashbacks, timejumps, flitting backwards and forwards between characters. The characters weren't quite realised enough - they lacked screen time. The Abel thing was either completely obtuse or too obvious depending on the extent to which you read the cast list. The ending was a bit bizarre/abrupt. The unifying narrative was loose.

Basically, I didn't I feel there were insufficient characters to fall in love with and the narrative was not strong enough. Too much was left unsaid.

But there was a tonne of stuff I liked about this book too, I liked the exploration of some of the Tau ideas. I liked the barely pass as human characters. I liked Iverson quite a lot. I liked the action. I liked the other alien races. I liked the ideas in the narrative, if not the execution. There were characters that hooked me that I didn't get to see enough of. The author created a really good setting for the story, both physically and philosophically.

If there were a few less characters and a couple of story strands had been binned off, I would have enjoyed the book a whole heap more.

As I write this, I feel that the negatives, on paper, out-weigh the positives. But this is not true. There is a balance. I'm just finding it hard to sell the positives.

Read it if:

- You like Guard, Tau or easter egg races.

- You are competent with remembering a host of characters and following a semi-complex plot.

- You intend to or have read the other books/stories by Peter Fehervari which brush alongside this book

I will definitely go back to this author again. I found his writing style very readable.

But i'm reading Fire and Ice now and it's much nearer to a really good read.

Is there some repository that explains how all these stories overlap?

Not so much a clear explanation, but a  "map" of interlocking characters and arcs.

In addition to this I personally suspect that Calavera may be the same individual as

the champion from the Angels Penitent in the Thirteenth Psalm. Also missing is a direct character link between Genestealer Cults and Fire Caste.
Edited by Beren

In addition to this I personally suspect that Calavera may be the same individual as

the champion from the Angels Penitent in the Thirteenth Psalm. Also missing is a direct character link between Genestealer Cults and Fire Caste.

I've only read the two stories i've mentioned, but I had a gut feeling that Calavera was a ..

chaos marine. The helmet nailed to the skull thing throws in one direction but the Sourblood calling him 'the empty one' made me wonder if it was a Thousand Son husk that was being controlled by a sorcerer elsewhere? It felt very tzeentch.

Of course, being ignorant of it, I can't exclude the possiblity that the Angel Penitent you refer to was chaos tainted

I guess i'll have to get to the other books at some point.

Edited by Rob P

• 7 months later...

My request for the cover of the book was, "Please don't put a skull on it."

I'm dead.

EDIT: Finished Part 1. I liked the little swipe at the Horus Heresy, and especially the Cabal plot. He dislikes author collaborations and has no desire to do research into other author's works and instead wants to feel like he's in complete creative control. So it makes perfect sense that he sort of holds this truce with BL and the Studio to not touch anything of importance to the setting. It reminds me a lot of Bligh's FFG work, designed to provide plot hooks, not answers. Content for the 40k creator, not just the 40k consumer

Also that poor translator not being familiar with 40k terminology.

Edited by Jareddm

It's certainly enlightening to hear about the production background behind Nightfall and Fire and Ice, and why we (unfortunately) are unlikely to see much of a continuation of those arcs.

He intends the Greater Evil arc to be continued, but suggestions have so far not been taken up.

Brotherhood of a Thousand always consists of exactly a thousand marines, refer to themselves as numbers etc

He also wants to continue the Angels Repentant arc, but needed to cover the Angels Resplendent first to give it its proper meaning.

He's already written two more Dark Coil shorts, one of which is an urban industrial horror on Sarastus taking place before the Night fell coming out on October. The other is a 'very strange' Angels Penitent story due sometime next year, featuring at least some recurring characters.

Edited by Beren

My request for the cover of the book was, "Please don't put a skull on it."

I'm dead.

EDIT: Finished Part 1. I liked the little swipe at the Horus Heresy, and especially the Cabal plot. He dislikes author collaborations and has no desire to do research into other author's works and instead wants to feel like he's in complete creative control. So it makes perfect sense that he sort of holds this truce with BL and the Studio to not touch anything of importance to the setting. It reminds me a lot of Bligh's FFG work, designed to provide plot hooks, not answers. Content for the 40k creator, not just the 40k consumer

Also that poor translator not being familiar with 40k terminology.

The fact Peter hasnt thrown his lot into the mess that is the Heresy gives me a fair bit of respect for him, especially as I assume he could make decent money with a HH book.

Just started RI, my only exposure to Fehervari so far being Fire and Ice and Sanctuary of Wyrms. Loves those stories, and I am loving RI so far. Trying to delve into the Dark Coil in time for the Reverie

• 3 weeks later...

Hail

Just finished Peter Fehervari's lastest short "Nightbleed". I really enjoyed it; creepy (if a tad predictable) but well worth the price and time spent reading it. It is, unsurprisingly, part of the Dark Coil setting, and slots in nicely with another of his recent books.

Thumbs up from here!

Faithfully,

Master Ciaphas

Fire Caste

Genestealer Cults/Cult of the Spiral Dawn

Requiem Infernal

The Reverie

Fire and Ice

Nightfall

Sanctuary of Wyrms

Out Caste

Vanguard

Crown of Thorns

Cast A Hungry Shadow

The Walker in Fire

The Greater Evil

The Thirteenth Psalm

Nightbleed

On Page 1 of this thread, post #12, Dark Chaplain was kind enough to list where these shorts and novellas can be found:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353049-peter-fehervari’s-dark-coil/?p=5232979

Updating his post: The Thirteenth Psalm can be found in Inferno! 2

Edited by byrd9999

Track of Words has posted up a Traveller's Guide to the Dark Coil with input by fans and Fehervari himself (with a couple of graphics by me). A great introduction for those unfamiliar with the metaphysical links and a good clarifier for Fehervari fans. Towards the end of the article is a reading order by Fehervari beginning with Nightbleed.

Track_of_Words_The_Dark_Coil_Locations-2

Fantastic resource from Mike at Track of Words.

Great timing for me too as I have a gap until The Reverie arrives (I did Amazon cos I refuse to pay GW £3.50 p&p for one paperback book!) so had decided with the release of Nightbleed to re-read all of Fehervari’s shorts and the novella (not enough time for the novels).