LVO 2019

bkde

Anyone going to LVO? Hoping to give the ladies a good showing

I'm hoping they get good attendance, competent play, and absolutely smashed by the better codex armies in-line with their relative strength (as GW does tend to knee-jerk on tournaments these days)

I'm fearing that they get used a lot as CP/denial generation for the usual cawls wrath and friends list and pick up a reputation similar to guard infantry squads.

Agreed -- I see people saying "for 225 pts, you get 5 2d6 denies a turn plus one 4+ deny, and 17 2+* saves! It's OP!"

And that's without the 50 pts I'd say is mandatory for upgrade haha

*Because they will always be in cover, or at least, that's what they will say.

Anyone going to LVO? Hoping to give the ladies a good showing

I'm hoping they get good attendance, competent play, and absolutely smashed by the better codex armies in-line with their relative strength (as GW does tend to knee-jerk on tournaments these days)

I'm fearing that they get used a lot as CP/denial generation for the usual cawls wrath and friends list and pick up a reputation similar to guard infantry squads.

Thanks...I think?  I mean, I was hoping to do mediocre and not get smashed, but thanks for the vote of confidence...

I can’t make LVO this year, maybe next! Good luck my man! I hope there aren’t too many Sisters “CP feeder” detachments.

Thanks!  I'm curious as well.  I don't think they'll replace the loyal 32 (to get the full 4++ buff is just too expensive and limits the ability to take "Grand Strategist") but I'm sure there will be a few, particularly kitted out for the psychic denial ability mentioned above.  Would definitely bring a lot to a group of knights/shield caps.

Thanks...I think? I mean, I was hoping to do mediocre and not get smashed, but thanks for the vote of confidence...

Good luck at the event :p
Nice save...

I think he means good luck and have fun at the event; but he hopes sisters perform at the event in such a way that geedubs goes "oh snap, girls need major buffing, good thing we're still making their dex."

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on any Sisters performance so far?

Two players went 5-1

Top player was Christopher Arrington at joint 48th place, had a whitewash for his 4th game when his opponent screwed up early and gave up on the game (garnering enough extra points to hit the top 50). He was playing soup (smash captain, etc) and his post tournament feedback was that they were uncompetitive but that his opponents often didn't recognise arcos and the new bloody rose repentia as a serious assault threat and allowed them up the board.

The other player was Matthew Obermark at 62nd place with apparently a horde of 4++ infantry.

The 5 game winners range was 13th place to 78th place. Every codex except Dark Angels (68th) and Grey Knights (255th) placed higher - actually a little surprised about the DA.

The two lowest ranked players were sororitas no-shows at joint 661st place.

https://www.bestcoastpairings.com/r/7d3uytwa?started=true&embed=false

his post tournament feedback was that they were uncompetitive but that his opponents often didn't recognise arcos and the new bloody rose repentia as a serious assault threat and allowed them up the board.

People often make that mistake, but they only make it once. My entire gaming group is terrified of Arco-flagellants (mostly from before the buff), which limits their lifespan.

Thats a list thats all about the CC & CP.... 18CPs... and needs 3 books (Marines codex, Sisters /CA2018 & the Index).... and still only just got into the top 50

Apparently a lot of vessels to get the extra few inches on the rhinos, running as a big blob around the canoness models on foot. Smashcaptains can burn them pretty fast too.

his post tournament feedback was that they were uncompetitive but that his opponents often didn't recognise arcos and the new bloody rose repentia as a serious assault threat and allowed them up the board.

People often make that mistake, but they only make it once. My entire gaming group is terrified of Arco-flagellants (mostly from before the buff), which limits their lifespan.

This is why I'm hoping they don't put too much weight on high end tournament results. At larger events, the chance that any given player has had significant experience against an SoB army is very small and you can absolutely wreck people who don't understand that a unit of melta doms can touch the back board edge turn one, or that a  unit of 5 arcos can wipe out several hundred points in a single round. It's not representative of the power of the book, it's representative of the rarity of the book.

This is why I'm hoping they don't put too much weight on high end tournament results. At larger events, the chance that any given player has had significant experience against an SoB army is very small and you can absolutely wreck people who don't understand that a unit of melta doms can touch the back board edge turn one, or that a  unit of 5 arcos can wipe out several hundred points in a single round. It's not representative of the power of the book, it's representative of the rarity of the book.

Second place player mentioned much the same thing. Running massed infantry strung together around a canoness and celestine being used as a blobbed up meatshield for exorcists and a knight, with seraphim deepstriking onto objectives.

Finally had a chance to get my comments down.  Battle reports from LVO are here in the beta codex bat rep thread.

Other thing to note regarding dropped players, unsure if BCP auto defaulted them to "Adepta Sororitas" which is the default army entry on BCP, so they may not have been Sisters players.

Finished 451st, with a record of 2-4.

Three other sisters list finished ahead of mine.

First was the repentia/smash captain list.  Can't recall if he was running doms, but he had no long range (no knight or exos).  Also important to note is he had 3 squads of sniper scouts.  The ability to pick out characters/dish out mortal wounds can really mess with a lot of lists that rely on characters to get CP's/rerolls.  As mentioned above, I don't think many people were ready for the repentia or arcos.  A lot of people said they were familiar with sisters...but not with the new beta codex.  All of the tables had a large LOS blocking terrain piece in the middle which definitely would have helped get those rhinos up the board.

Other two lists were very similar, one was double sisters battalion, 3 exos, doms with storm bolters and a knight castellan.  I think this player was on the table beside me but we never had a chance to talk! By the time my game finished he was gone, and when I came back to collect my army he had already packed up and moved.  Unfortunately the 30 mins breaks between games just weren't enough time!

Other list was double sisters battalion, 3x 10 seraphim all with inferno pistols, knight crusader (battle cannon/avenger) and 3x exorcists.

All of the above were run as bloody rose.

Regarding familiarity, a lot of my opponents were familiar with sisters, but not with the beta dex...aka they were not familiar with sisters.

I happen to know Christopher J -- he's a friend of mine from Houston. We discussed Sisters at length after he won best of faction and we have the same conclusion...they're terrible and as soon as anyone knows what Repentia and/or Arcos do they nuke the transports and then you settle in to die slowly as your footsloggers get shot off the board. He told me he got VERY lucky with his match-ups: no knights, no Tau.

If any of you that attended LVO were in the GW presentation, I was the guy that asked the question about the beta codex feedback and if they were going to do an actual "beta process", where they release, we submit feedback, they update and release, we submit feedback, etc. The rules guy said that they were going to do that, but that each iteration of it would push the codex release out further and further. I told him, "I'm part of a pretty large group of Sisters players, and I'm pretty sure we'd be happy to wait until 2020 if it meant we got a kick-ass codex." He also said they were reading every submitted email, and not just for the game mechanics, but also for the emotional feedback, "This doesn't play right," "This doesn't feel like Sisters," and that sort of thing. It was a pleasant surprise, honestly. I also mentioned that Sisters "weren't just another army" for most of us and we really appreciated the beta process and the care that GW was taking with making this right. 

Oh, I was also the guy that shouted "THANK YOU!" when they showed off the new Imagifier model. Shy...I am not. :happy.:

I happen to know Christopher J -- he's a friend of mine from Houston. We discussed Sisters at length after he won best of faction and we have the same conclusion...they're terrible and as soon as anyone knows what Repentia and/or Arcos do they nuke the transports and then you settle in to die slowly as your footsloggers get shot off the board. He told me he got VERY lucky with his match-ups: no knights, no Tau.

That's incredibly lucky as most of the lists at LVO ran at least one knight, with half of those lists being guard artillery + knight combo.

Other than the response "Sisters are terrible" was there anything else that came out of the discussion? Positives/negatives, things that worked, things that didn't, things that need improving, fun tactics?

That's incredibly lucky as most of the lists at LVO ran at least one knight, with half of those lists being guard artillery + knight combo.

Other than the response "Sisters are terrible" was there anything else that came out of the discussion? Positives/negatives, things that worked, things that didn't, things that need improving, fun tactics?

He was the first one to admit that he got lucky with match-ups. He was running Bloody Rose and his best praise was for the (obviously) good Arcos and Repentia. He said he was lucky in that most of his opponents either didn't know anything about Sisters or at best knew about Index Sisters. 

He echoed my sentiments about AoF -- the nerf to "move twice" hits us hard, and hopes it goes to move 6" at least. He said he usually ends the game with several FP left over -- and that he used SO MANY CPs trying to fuel Vessels to move his army up the board, +1 to shoot or fight twice. 

Honestly? The things he said either good or bad are pretty much what we have discussed here.

Archived