Index (Heretic) Astartes

Deadass

There is not need for Khorn Daemonkind with the way army list work in 8th. 

Just rework totally summoning (AoS system looks like nice). 

I dunno if we'll have true Legions. It's seems Index astartes is more for sub-chapter (and for chaos traitors sub chapter). 

Legion are alredy cover by codex. Expect just new datasheet/formation for Black Legion. 

I think the blood tithe mechanic is the variable missing from the equation. Just having World Eaters and daemons detachments isn’t really the same thing. Not that we’ll ever have the army back (most likely), but it isn’t reproducible in 8th other than the unit choices.

As Loss says, they'll probably start with the Black legion, then follow up with the 8 remaining Legions, followed by the Red Corsairs. Maybe there'll be some other Warbands thrown in, like the Crimson Slaughter, Flawless Host, or Blood Gorgons (seriously, why were/are they on the front page of the 6/7/8th edition codex?!). 

Because the artwork for the Blood Gorgons is one of the single best Chaos Marine artworks they've ever done? :laugh.:

And I don't think they'll do all of the Traitor Legions. Especially since 2 have their own Codex, and 2 more (World Eaters, Emperor's Children) will likely be getting their own Codex. So that'd just leave Black Legion (very likely), Word Bearers, Iron Warriors, Night Lords and Alpha Legion.

I'm hoping for Khorne Daemonkin personally.

Dragonlover

I'd prefer them getting the Codex Treatment. Khorne Daemonkin is what got me into 7th, then 8th dropped right after I got it :laugh.:

I suspect they will never touch the Blood Gorgons ever again after Henry Zou plagiarized elements of Flesh and Iron and GW got sued (and lost)... 

With the return of Index Astartes to the White Dwarf, I thought it'd be interesting to hear which warbands you guys think are important or unique enough to deserve a treatment in the magazine. My pick would be the Crimson Slaughter - I think the most accurate way to represent them on the table at the moment is to field them with the World Eaters legion tactic, but they're more than just mad butchers... despite their name. Getting a couple of their relics back to represent Kranon the Relentless or maybe Draznicht would also be a huge deal for them, aswell as a unique warlord trait.

Any other opinions?

I run my Crimson Slaughter as Night Lord's. Terror Tactics Replicates the Fear effect, In Midnight Clad represents the way some formations gave BS penalties, Curse of The Night Haunter works to simulate the precognitive/prophetic ability Krannon and some others occasionally displayed as well as touching on the better save afforded by Daemon Heart. Krannon I do as a Chaos Lord with the Murder Sword. Draznicht makes a good Dark Apostle since they have a re-roll hits aura.

Don't get me wrong, I've been feeling salty all 8th edition that my warband is now generic Renegades and that our main commander has not been playable since partway through 7th. I would love to see Crimson Slaughter with their own rules again, maybe Prophet of The Voices as a warlord trait. Crimson Slaughter is why I play Chaos now. While they may not be as popular among older players, I think they were the first taste of Chaos for many, relatively, new players.

I think the blood tithe mechanic is the variable missing from the equation. Just having World Eaters and daemons detachments isn’t really the same thing. Not that we’ll ever have the army back (most likely), but it isn’t reproducible in 8th other than the unit choices.

Considering how GW reworked summoning mechanics for various armies in AoS with the new edition I'd say there's a good chance they'll go and rework the basically completely unused summoning mechanic for chaos in 40k as well and when that happens they might just as well include different systems for different gods. That could also open the door for a completely new summoning mechanic that's not god specific for the Word Bearers as Legion trait instead of what they have now.

Considering how GW reworked summoning mechanics for various armies in AoS with the new edition I'd say there's a good chance they'll go and rework the basically completely unused summoning mechanic for chaos in 40k as well and when that happens they might just as well include different systems for different gods. That could also open the door for a completely new summoning mechanic that's not god specific for the Word Bearers as Legion trait instead of what they have now.

I would be happy if WB could summon at the beginning of the turn and then the character could take their turn as normal. Summoning is so clunky; adding fluidity would help a lot.

Archived