Anti tank dreadnoughts

Brother Cruoris

Hi,

I have a leviathan dreadnought that I was planning on adding to my blood angels, but I'm now thinking of adding him to my DW instead.

What I'm wondering about is how he compares to the venerable dreadnought?

I could either go with a Relic leviathan with 2x storm cannon array + double twin las contemptor mortis dreadnought as tax.

Or 3 venerable dreadnoughts with twon las and missle + 1-2 heavy weapons in a vet squad.

Wath would be the most point efficient considering dmg and survivability?

They serve different roles.

Leviathan is the ultimate distraction carnifex. T8 (9 with Might of Heroes) 2+/4++ 14 wounds will take a significant portion of your opponent's firepower to take down. He also does crazy amounts of dmg with 2x SCA, 3x HK missiles. With the +1 to wound strat, a reroll aura and correct doctrine he can take 8 wounds on average off a 3++ knight (that's just the SCA, and -1 to hit for moving)

Contemptor mortis 4x las is probably one of our most efficient high str D6 dmg weapon platforms. BS 2, 9 inch move, 5++, 10 wounds. They are good.

Ven dreads are cheap, and don't degrade. That's their only bonuses over the other two dreads. Without an inv however, they are pretty easy to take out.

I am not a fan of putting heavy weapons on veterans. They are not mobile and hitting on 4's when you have to move makes me sad.

My vote goes for a leviathan + tax (rapier carriers are a very good tax unit).

However you need to build a list around something like this, definitely need a librarian with Might of Heroes and the rest of your army needs to be able to keep him out of combat (he has a pathetic 2 attacks with no AP lol

@BrotherAetherick nailed my thoughts exactly.

I think the fire power is fairly equal across what you're comparing. What might matter is do you want all of your anti-tank options on 2 platforms or across 5 platforms? Individually, the Ven Dread is currently the best long range anti-tank option we have. If you want multiple lascannons on the battlefield, you're going to want a mortis (contemptor) dreadnaught.

The levi dread is simply an all around beast - great invul and armor save, good against anything. I look at it as another way of tackling the problem. Your problem in this case is Xenos filth.

I had a great game against Necrons a couple of days ago where my venerable dread took a ton of fire when it was buffed by a dominus aegis. 2 rounds of 5 destroyers and a doomsday arc took it down but that took fire away from the marines to win the game. I'm building towards 2 Ven dreads and a back field vet squad to sit in the 5++

The deredeo can have the 5++ buff, but he's probably referring to the relic storm shield a Watch Captain can take which turns into a 5++ Aura when stationary. A pair of Quad Las Mortis Dreads and a Watch Captain with relic Storm Shield and a Stalker Boltgun is nice because then you can get the reroll 1s. One thing to keep in mind is that Contemptor Mortis Dreads come with the built in 5++

The deredeo can have the 5++ buff, but he's probably referring to the relic storm shield a Watch Captain can take which turns into a 5++ Aura when stationary. A pair of Quad Las Mortis Dreads and a Watch Captain with relic Storm Shield and a Stalker Boltgun is nice because then you can get the reroll 1s. One thing to keep in mind is that Contemptor Mortis Dreads come with the built in 5++

That's true. And with the Captain's rerolls on the mortis dreads, it put's it to a similar probability as a pair of Ven Dreads by themselves. But those 6+++ are gold man. It's worth the points to just use a Lascannon/Missile Ven Dread in my opinion. Or perhaps a Contemptor (relic or mortis) for the invuls without a shield Captain to baby sit. I would build my lists more so around a shield Captain with the relic if it weren't for the wording on the relic where you have to have 1st turn AND not move in the movement phase :(

Fairly new to 40K, and until this thread I hadn't really considered the Chaplain Venetable Dread or Mortis Contemptors. I thought Leviathans & Relic Contemptors were where its at. Thx guys. Any suggestions as far as load-outs, deployment strategies, or dos and donts would be most appeciated.

The Mortis Contemptor with quad Lascannons is brutal. Base 2+ shooting, so you can hide it behind cover then move 9" and still shoot at a respectable 3+. Built in 3+ is great, and it doesn't degrade to BS4+ until 2 wounds left, which is fine because those last 2 wounds are the ones regular Dreadnought chassis don't sport

Archived