Update to Prot's Thousand Sons: P2 Scarab Occult finished!

Prot

nice to see petards. And those are some great models. 

I think the butcher cannons are overhyped. yeah, its Heavy 4, S8, AP-1 and 2D. You still have to hit, and then wound, and then they get a save (at -1). With the Petards, you only have to hit, and it causes Mortal Wounds. You are removing 2 extra chances of failure (in most cases) with the petards. 

Plus, I think the petards fit better within a Thousands Sons army. 

Petards are super strong against targets with good saves and high toughness, but butcher cannons are much better against softer targets. Different weapons for different tasks.

Firstly, thanks very much guys.

Nice colours, good to see you on the better army again :wink:

Very funny... but yea, it will be slow coming, but I'll get there. :)

As always, your stuff looks awesome and the vibrancy of those colors is just amazing. Love that green glow effect.

Thanks. I'm trying some new stuff out for the green glow effects. I really like it too.

Wow Prot! Thanks for sharing.

As always, thanks for the compliment.

nice to see petards. And those are some great models. 

I think the butcher cannons are overhyped. yeah, its Heavy 4, S8, AP-1 and 2D. You still have to hit, and then wound, and then they get a save (at -1). With the Petards, you only have to hit, and it causes Mortal Wounds. You are removing 2 extra chances of failure (in most cases) with the petards. 

Plus, I think the petards fit better within a Thousands Sons army. 

Agreed. The Soulburners just feel very.. Thousand Sons-like. I imagine a half dead sorc that Ahriman imprisoned in the Daemon-engine, letting forth spasmatic blows of smite-type energy through his fists... for 10,000+ years. :D

Decimators with Soul Burners to me are the answer to Culexus. Everything has to hit and wound, Psychic powers don't work, and a 4++ can become very annoying if dice are hot. A +1 to hit boost and RR 1's that 1kS offers on the Petard means a much easier time dropping it with MW, avoiding those pesky saves.

That's a good point. I do like Tzaangors for that role as well but a lot of the time it feels like a poor decision pouring so many models (you'd rather use elsewhere) into a Celuxes. 

I do like that I can heal him, and improve his overall survival rate with the Psychic phase because he is super heavily targeted in many games featuring expensive units. It's funny how that works. :)

The look great mate. I´d never dare to paint with such bright bold colours. My dark muted schemes are more forgiving and mistakes are easy to conceal^^

Thanks for the kind words.

In all honesty the Thousand Sons bring out a very high contrast, very strong saturation 'feel' to my painting. It just comes out a lot more with them. Some of this is frustrating because I'll go nuts on a few pieces from other armies, but I paint a Thousand Sons unit and it gets.... just a lot more positive reaction/attention... by a mile.

The look great mate. I´d never dare to paint with such bright bold colours. My dark muted schemes are more forgiving and mistakes are easy to conceal^^

Thanks for the kind words.

In all honesty the Thousand Sons bring out a very high contrast, very strong saturation 'feel' to my painting. It just comes out a lot more with them. Some of this is frustrating because I'll go nuts on a few pieces from other armies, but I paint a Thousand Sons unit and it gets.... just a lot more positive reaction/attention... by a mile.

The forces of Tzeentch are described as "The Scintillating Legions" for a reason. :)

• 1 year later...

This army seems to hit me with burnout quickly. I think it's the technical aspect of it. Nothing can be rushed. Metallics take forever, you have to be super clean with the edge work, and blending. You can get creative, but make too many technical mistakes and it starts looking bad.

Rubrics1.jpg?w=911&ssl=1

Sorry for poor lighting, but there you go. Finally done this ridiculously over due squad of Rubrics.

Termie1.jpg?resize=1024%2C701&ssl=1

Same goes for these guys.

Also did some tokens for the myriad of new powers and old powers alike:

Tokens1.jpg?w=806&ssl=1

https://prot40k.blog/2020/01/27/hobby-update-of-the-damned-new-thousand-sons-and-a-sorcerer/

HOOOOLY SMOKES PROT! these are some amazing models! 

I specially love the Decimator it's just gorgeous 

On a side note I hope some day mama GW will give us a reason to run Daemon Engines as Thousand Sons (under the form of some passive buff that would affect them) instead of being just strictly worst then running them in a let's say Iron Warriors/Alpha Legion detachment as these models looks sooo good in TS scheme

Better late than never, and it's always worth it ;) Good to take your time and do things properly, I've found that I work in bursts on my Sons as it helps give you a little break from the detail :)

The markers for powers is a good idea now Sons have so many (and some that don't have cards in the deck) :tu:

fantastic work as always man

i recently finished a squad of 10 and they look a little different than when the new plastic stuff came out a couple years back and I did them up.. So my solution to make them all match was to black wash everything and 'Ard Coat the armored areas. It'll do but I am having some regrets. Your stuff looks consistent and is well worth the effort. I get the burnout, sure, but your stuff is spectacular and I bet it is a real treat to see it in play for folks at your shop

Dope.

Well I’ll take that as a compliment since it’s not coming from my wife!

i just bought another box of rubrics. I am really rethinking my squad of 15 and am just considering 9 man squads.

also I finished gap filling Magnus and have to start on him soon.

Fixed that for you ;)