Reinhards Primaris Crusade

Cool models; I needed to get up to date with the last two pages of your work and I must say, there's a lot that I like (makes me want to work on some Primaris Marines, but I must resist!). I like some of the conversions (speaking of conversions, the conversion beamer on your Techmarine isn't a stock option, right?) - particularly, you have some unique characters that'll most definitely stand out from the rest of the standard Primaris HQs.

I really appreciate the little details - the freehand crosses, the heraldry shields for the Bladeguards and Apothecary, the faces (I'd love to be able to paint faces half as good as you do!), the reds (especially on the Techmarine!), the parts of Maltese crosses on BGV's tabards, the gold trim on the Biker Chaplain.

For the sake of being objective, I'll leave one critique - personally, I think the Gravis Chaplain is a bit too much - he looks too heavy or unbalanced for my liking (you used Calgar as a base for the model, right? I'm not as familiar with the Primaris range of models as I am with the old stuff).

Cool models; I needed to get up to date with the last two pages of your work and I must say, there's a lot that I like (makes me want to work on some Primaris Marines, but I must resist!). I like some of the conversions (speaking of conversions, the conversion beamer on your Techmarine isn't a stock option, right?) - particularly, you have some unique characters that'll most definitely stand out from the rest of the standard Primaris HQs.

I really appreciate the little details - the freehand crosses, the heraldry shields for the Bladeguards and Apothecary, the faces (I'd love to be able to paint faces half as good as you do!), the reds (especially on the Techmarine!), the parts of Maltese crosses on BGV's tabards, the gold trim on the Biker Chaplain.

For the sake of being objective, I'll leave one critique - personally, I think the Gravis Chaplain is a bit too much - he looks too heavy or unbalanced for my liking (you used Calgar as a base for the model, right? I'm not as familiar with the Primaris range of models as I am with the old stuff).

Thanks for the kind words. Yes the chaplain is based on Calgar. His armor is a tad bit chunkier than the regular gravis, if that's what you mean by too heavy. And there's definately an imbalance between the left and right arm, perhaps a bit more than on gravis captain with boltstorm gauntlet and powersword

Yeah, I think that the bulk of the arms makes the Gravis Chaplain model a bit weird to me. Then again, it might be due to the angle of the photo - he looks pretty dope together with the Gravis Captain* and a bit awkward in the photo with the Apothecary and Techmarine. Sorry for my rumbling, don't let this detract from the overall quality of your work.

*Actually, upon closer inspection, I'm quite surprised how similar Calgar and the Gravis Captain are, especially the way that their legs are positioned! This reminds me of some of the old pewter models.

• 3 weeks later...

Small update. Dealt with a cold so got a lot less hobby time than I would've wanted.

Heavy intercessor squad done.

gallery_65134_15160_316604.jpg

Also redid did my old Dark Imperium Inceptors. Bought extra assault bolter arms from the multipart kit as I feel those look much better than the DI ones. Also makes them more unified in look when fielded together with my multipart kit inceptors.

gallery_65134_15160_22507.jpg

Next plan is probably to add a lot more templar pizzazz to everything, but i'll do that once the templar wave has hit and we know more what we're getting in terms of new bits.

Edited by Reinhard

Sir Reinhard you have truly made an amazing Templar army! 

My favorites are probably your character conversions on the very first page (specifically that upscaled Emperor's Champion) and your Sworn Brethren/Bladeguard Veterans. Well done!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, though I can only take credit for painting the champion, conversion was done by Eberious on this board. I am very pleased with his handiwork on both the champion and Grimaldus.

... a conversion I did do myself though is this pseudo EC conversion that i just finished the other day

med_gallery_65134_15160_329274.jpgmed_gallery_65134_15160_213310.jpgmed_gallery_65134_15160_272706.jpg

Hadn't really planned on incorporating any more phobos units into my crusade, but when someone gifted me the reiver lieutenant I knew I just had to kitbash something out of it. Just love the about-to-stab-a-heretic-through-the-throat-pose. Not even sure what I could field him as, but the cat's already out of the bag on that, what with my last three character conversions technically having the same issue. Also the anticipation towards new releases is starting to get palpable...

Oh, and 'stache guy got a backpack torch, cuz those're cool.

med_gallery_65134_15160_395341.jpg

The Emperor protects.

Edited by Reinhard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some more bits and ends:

Decided to do yellow plasmas, as the red didn't stick out well enough when all the bolt weaponry is red too. Also emboldened after seeing a the legendary Maxime Corbeil's yellow plasmas, and the numerous people inspired by them.

gallery_65134_15160_820465.jpg

Did it for the multipart kit hellblasters too. Also did some pose variations and threw in some random helmets in there to make em a bit more interesting looking

gallery_65134_15160_83094.jpg

Naturally the biggest boi of the crusade got his too, and a few alterations and sharpening of his paintjob (you can actually read the templar on the sarcophagus now). The braziers also felt like a natural fit, even though I'm undecided on them because of him also having lanterns.

gallery_65134_15160_491825.jpg

My impromptu champion esque kitbash, got a chain with a templar cross, as well as a different head, so it felt less like i just stuck a BGV head on a phobos armor.

gallery_65134_15160_345797.jpg

Oh and I decided to turn my ETB aggressors into regular aggressors by putting boltstorm bits on 'em instead, so its a full single squad now

gallery_65134_15160_466090.jpg

Aaaand I painted a sister, whose white armor doesn't play nice with my camera in the lacking lighting conditions i got:

gallery_65134_17159_148474.jpg

Flames is basically just following Darren Lathams guide (now removed from youtube)... Essentially paint it in yellow, then go progressively darker away from the hot center. first to orange, then to darker and darker red, can even mix in some black at the very furrthest away if it's large enough so that you get far away from the source.

• 4 weeks later...

Small update.

Though it was driving me up the proverbial wall every single day that went by where I did not get my lunch box, the great irony of it is perhaps that since getting it, I've had precious little time to devote to hobby stuff.

I have, however, gotten pretty far on the crusade's first proper sword brother, the one from the Crusader squad:

gallery_65134_15160_156315.jpg

Still a WIP, I need to focus more on the highlights, especially on tabard cloth, and the face looks a bit dark below the cheek bones.

Overall pretty happy with him, though my camera seems to perceive the face's flaws much better than my naked eyes.

Next should be Marshal and Emperor's champion. The crusader squad will probably wait until i have access to the upgrade kit as well, I will be doing a lot of mixing of bits between these kits and the large chunk of existing intercessors I have, to create one large zealous gathering.

Very nice. I'd personally add a little bit of a light effect on the bit for the Sword Brother's backpack reliquary, but that's just me.

Yeah, theres's other detailing too, like scribbles on the red crusader seals, maybe a cross or pattern on the tabard, lighting in the reliquary. A crusade badge on the hip plate perhaps

Excellent work on the Sword Brethren. What's his name?

Sword brother Dolphus, since someone flattered me with saying he bears a resemblance to some M2 actor :tongue.: