Mandragola’s Legio Astorum (and Mortis and stuff)

Mandragola

That is what I'm thinking. The one spot that I keep thinking of is the torso platform on the warlord. I think having a little snow on the rails and in the corner of the floor and door would be appropriate, or as you said the armor panels, or along the legs and feet.

Poor tree!

This amused me. I must have seen a hundred buildings kicked in by titans and nobody bats an eyelid. I kick over one tree and I start getting stick for it.

I actually work for an environmental charity, so I'm against kicking over trees in general. I think it works quite well to show a bleak battlefield, as all the smashed trees look sadder somehow than smashed buildings - at least to me. Maybe if the buildings for AT were more domestic-seeming then there'd be some emotional connection to them.

Active engines get snow on them all the time, can't really see why titans wouldn't. Sure, they can probably actively get rid of it via heat release when they really care, but in a prolonged skirmish that might be problematic. A proper snow storm gives no quarter, you can clean when it ends, which might very well be after the battle.

There will also be icicles under heat sinks and vents, as heat causes meltwater runs that freeze again a bit later. They will fly off everywhere when running and explosions kick up, but ehh... For modeling purposes, snow is fine on these things too.

If that were the case then the snow would sublimate and turn directly into water vapor and be trapped inside the void. The next time they go down the water would then freeze out of suspension in the air turning directly back into snow to land on the armor.

Actually the voids work only against the outside, that way the titan can fire its weapons from within the shield. Anyway when the shields come down is under fire so the snow would be vaporized instantly

There’s quite a number of instances in novels describing rain, dust, snow etc. “sizzling” against Voids.

But even then, there would still be ample opportunity for the above to collect on Titans - e.g. during downtime, when it’s kicked up by wind inside of Voids, when moisture from generators freezes inside of Voids, etc.

Also, I’m assuming Voids don’t just vaporize everything that gets close (else Secutarii would be all dead). Against slow moving stuff it’s probably more like a high static discharge. Lots of slow moving stuff will get through.

Edited by Kilofix

I wouldnt see voids stopping snow. I mean full titans walk through voids to get close enough to punch stuff. I imagine voids only stop things from passing through that are over a certain threshold of kinetic energy. Rain may not pass through as the droplets have reached terminal velocity when falling but I dont imagine snow being effected.

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Acastus turned up. I've built one, though there's obviously no need to share a pic as it looks the same as everyone else's right now. 

What a kit. The detail on the knights for AT is just phenomenal.Can't wait to get one painted up, though the fact I've got a holiday and a house move lined up in the next couple of weeks means I don't know when that'll be.

• 2 weeks later...

With the arrival of the titans of Legend, I decided to make myself a new Reaver, to be Lucius Praetorian - or "Lucy". I also thought I'd try and replicate the pose from this classic old drawing of a Reaver from the 1988 version of AT:

6d2b2159b72d606b2d92d68c059efd80.jpg

The trees I've been using so far are a bit too small for a reaver to stand on, so I've used some thicker bits of wood to represent the ones in the picture. I made these out of a knackered old paint brush that I snapped in a few places. On the other side I pinned her on a bit of sprue to get the height right.

48455894971_5fd5820981_b.jpg

I then built up the hill with a bunch of bits of rock. In the image the Reaver is on the slope of a hill but that's not really possible on this base, so instead there will be a slope up leading to a cliff edge.

48455894931_f13a92e257_b.jpg

This will need a lot of filling in of course to get the slope. I'll probably use some plasticard or something so I don't have to use a whole pot of fake mud. Otherwise I don't think my weak wargamer's arms would be strong enough to lift her up.

I quite like how the brush has broken. It looks quite a lot like a shattered tree if you ask me, with the paint on the brush forming a layer kind of like bark. Should look ok when painted.

48455894986_12600320be_b.jpg

Here's where I'm up to. She's been magnetised and has a head now, with some borrowed weapons to show how she'll hopefully end up.

48455895486_0d864d28a2_b.jpg

I might see about making her a left-handed volcano cannon that angles up like in the picture and a right-handed power fist. That's probably not how I'll run her most of the time though.

What do you think of her?